Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drilled and Slotted performance brake rotor for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have to be careful with the cheaper drilled and slotted applications. I Know a shop that refuses to install them due to rotors cracking between the drilled holes. I have never heard of this happening before but just something to keep in mind when selecting brakes.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
I would have thought tires AND brakes (AND motor in regen mode in this case) stop a car. Otherwise, let’s get rid of the brakes for some weight savings.

If you got rid of brakes the car would still eventually stop

Get rid of tire/road friction and it won’t (well apart from air resistance)

But the point is once you can lock the wheels or engage abs, MOAR BRAKES doesn’t help

Since stock brakes on any modern car can already do that a big brake kit CAN NOT reduce stopping distance

It can do other things- mainly only useful on a race track

But if you want to actually stop shorter then stickier tires are the only way to do it

Also as mentioned drilling holes in rotors generally makes them worse

I highly suggest this article which covers not just why drilled rotors mostly suck but what each part of the braking system does and doesn’t do

GRM Pulp Friction

• Informative
Reactions: SSedan and P85_DA
Not hating, just like poking at the topic of rice or whatever you call it.

I like to use analogies and I’ll use one that I thought of earlier when I saw a Prius do this..

Cross drilled rotors have little to no advantages on a street car except for visual.

It’s in the same bucket as putting a shiny exhaust on a TM3, serves no purpose except for visual preference.

• Funny
So far I have reached out to DBA, Remmen and Brembo and they dont have any upgraded performance rotors for Model 3 yet. The only one in market now is the MPP Performance rotors and brake kit. I will update this thread as I find any more information.

Back up a few years ago, I did the same thing with my ICE car, trying to be on a budget, i just upgrade the essentials for brakes:
Good racing pads (good initial bite, with very good fade inhibitor), brake fluid, lines and 200 TW tires.

This is not an exaggeration, but I could literally make my passengers (with helmets, and seated in a bucket seat with Race harness) kiss the dash, slowing down from 100+ MPH, all on stock rotors.

When i get the time, im going to get custom brake pads made (there are a few companies that have the ability to do that, and most of them cater to the grassroots guys like me) and lines made and will perform a test with metrics.....

I had after market drilled and slotted disc’s on a F-150 I had, had to have rotors replaced with oem as they cracked to the point of failure. Not a fan of those drilled/slotted discs after that.

drilled rotors are rice on a full sized car, plain and simple. They remove mass from a device intended to be a heat sink, and make it weaker besides.

Yes some "exotic" cars come with them- mainly because the buyers don't know any better and "expect" a certain look. They're functionally inferior though.

Slots on the other hand can actually be useful on a track-again not so much a street car though.

• Love
Can have the slots milled into your current rotor but I wouldn't recommend it. If you feel the need for rice, saw plastic brembo brake covers on ebay.

In terms of braking Ferodo do DS2500s for the M3. I have these they are great brake pad but they squeal in traffic.

drilled rotors are rice on a full sized car, plain and simple. They remove mass from a device intended to be a heat sink, and make it weaker besides.

Yes some "exotic" cars come with them- mainly because the buyers don't know any better and "expect" a certain look. They're functionally inferior though.

Slots on the other hand can actually be useful on a track-again not so much a street car though.
Found slotted rotors great in the rain actually. Had Slotted Brembo and DBA, they were good. Had Stoptech, those were garbage, dumped them for OEM, never again from that brand.

• Funny

Lets just at least agree that racist comments like "xxx is rice" belong in the last century.

OT, I had slotted rotors on my VR6 GTI and they didn't last as well, but looked hot. I'm not sure where to get them for your TM3.

Last edited:
Lets just at least agree that racist comments like "xxx is rice" belong in the last century.

OT, I had slotted rotors on my VR6 GTI and they didn't last as well, but looked hot. I'm not sure where to get them for your TM3.

Mountain Pass already makes slotted rotors that are available now for M3. AFAIK, these are the only after market rotors that are available for M3 as of today.
MPP 320mm Front 2 Piece Rotor PRE-ORDER

Found slotted rotors great in the rain actually. Had Slotted Brembo and DBA, they were good. Had Stoptech, those were garbage, dumped them for OEM, never again from that brand.

I've seen this claim about rain often, but never any objective measurements to support it- so it has always seemed very "butt dyno"/feel kind of a thing.

If it measurably did improve braking in wet conditions the people who sell such rotors would be advertising them that way, supported by data- they don't though- As I mentioned Brembo among others explicitly deny their rotors improve stopping distance in any street-driving condition wet or dry.

Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement.

Nothing racist in the comment. A white guy putting a giant wing on his mustang is generally rice too. Ditto drilled rotors on any street car.

Nahh those are overpriced for what value they add ..all these EV “tuners” just OEM this stuff and slap a label ..;)

I disagree.
MPP has racing heritage behind his MPP products.
They are track tested before selling to the general public.

MPP Pagemill BBK package uses superior slotted & curved rotors
There's an Italain study comparing straight rotor blades to pillar rotor blades to curved rotors blades.
Pillar rotor blades produce the LEAST heat build-up after consecutive use

http://www.gruppofrattura.it/pdf/rivista/numero34/numero_34_art_67.pdf

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SD_Engnr and P85_DA