Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive to get PPF immediately after delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am picking up my dual motor non performance on August 14th in south jersey. I am debating on getting XPEL stealth PPF, but my installer wants me to drive from the tesla dealership straight to him to get the PPF done because the paint will be as pristine as its ever going to be. I'd really like to be able to drive it for at least a day or two before dropping it off and wanted to get everyone's thoughts here.

If you drive it around and get one rock chip you will kick yourself forever. Lots of stories here about that. :D I drove mine home, stuck it in the garage on Saturday and dropped it off at the wrappers Monday (see sig).

You will have years and years to drive it. Resist the temptation!

If you drive it around and get one rock chip you will kick yourself forever. Lots of stories here about that. :D I drove mine home, stuck it in the garage on Saturday and dropped it off at the wrappers Monday (see sig).

You will have years and years to drive it. Resist the temptation!

Hey, that is not the answer I wanted to hear! :) If anyone wants to chime in and say "hey, its fine to drive around and enjoy your car for a few days, any rock chips should be easily repaired" Please feel free to do so.

Hey, that is not the answer I wanted to hear! :) If anyone wants to chime in and say "hey, its fine to drive around and enjoy your car for a few days, any rock chips should be easily repaired" Please feel free to do so.

You are unlikely to get a rock chip.

The best way to keep the paint pristine (and reduce the cost of paint correction) is to drive straight to your auto shop

Reactions: Regenshire

Some Body Shop Owner That Likes To Make Money said:
Hey, Its fine to drive around and enjoy your car for a few days. We can fix any rock chips you get quite easily (not cheap, but easy!)

I am picking up my dual motor non performance on August 14th in south jersey. I am debating on getting XPEL stealth PPF, but my installer wants me to drive from the tesla dealership straight to him to get the PPF done because the paint will be as pristine as its ever going to be. I'd really like to be able to drive it for at least a day or two before dropping it off and wanted to get everyone's thoughts here.
If you're certain that the car is free of any fit & finish issues.

I intentionally waited a couple of weeks before I sent my M3 to the PPF installer. I chose not to do the inch-by-inch walk-thru during delivery because I knew that I'd miss something for sure no matter how thorough I tried to be. Weighing the possibility that some body work might be done vs. the possibility that my car gets rock chips, I decided to take the calculated risk and get the PPF installed after making sure that no body work was needed.

I ended up sending the car to the SC and get the hood realigned. It took me about 2 weeks. I got the PPF installed right after I picked my car from the SC. Now it's in perfect condition. If I had sent my car to the PPF installer right after the delivery, I would have to re-wrap the front.

Reactions: Blue in NC
Yeah I have been debating this same issue. The biggest concern is the paint issues I've seen on delivery. My current model S lease runs to the end of September so if I am able to take delivery any time before then I have some overlap which should help give me some time to look things over and not drive it, leave it for any SC issues and wrapping.

In the Model 3 Owners Survey, nearly 3/5ths of owners reported their paint as flawless, and most of the rest considered any issues insignificant and requiring close-up inspection to find. There were some with significant issues, but they're definitely a significant minority.

I pick mine up this Friday. I have a family event on the 18th, and I really need to have it....it's one of "those" family events, and showing up in the wife's Impreza isn't going to cut it.........

If I get it to them on Friday, they may be able to get it back to me sooner....but I also want to drive it this weekend.....

decisions, decisions....

I would say to get the PPF applied soon after delivery but not immediately after. If you have the option, park the Model 3 in your garage and drive a different car while you wait for your PPF appointment. Reason is that the paint quality on recent batches of Model 3 isn't great, so you want to have the option to reject the car or bring it in for repairs if there are any paint defects. Making an appointment for PPF on delivery date means that you may feel pressured to accept delivery of a car with defects just so you can make your PPF appointment. If you reject the car or if the paint needs repair prior to installing PPF, you'll have to cancel your same day PPF appointment, which isn't fair to the PPF installer since he now has no work for the next two days unless he can find a last minute customer to take your slot.

Reactions: CrazyCoconut
I would say to get the PPF applied soon after delivery but not immediately after. If you have the option, park the Model 3 in your garage and drive a different car while you wait for your PPF appointment. Reason is that the paint quality on recent batches of Model 3 isn't great, so you want to have the option to reject the car or bring it in for repairs if there are any paint defects. Making an appointment for PPF on delivery date means that you may feel pressured to accept delivery of a car with defects just so you can make your PPF appointment. If you reject the car or if the paint needs repair prior to installing PPF, you'll have to cancel your same day PPF appointment, which isn't fair to the PPF installer since he now has no work for the next two days unless he can find a last minute customer to take your slot.
I agree with this line of thinking. Plus, this forces you to private sale the vehicle you are replacing, which always nets you more money than trade in.

I wanted to drive directly to my detailer but they were booked over the weekend (I took delivery on a Friday awhile back). So I ended up driving it and enjoying it...carefully, over the weekend then taking my car in on Tuesday for PPF/ceramic coating. Everything was fine honestly, was happy I got to enjoy the car and got the feel of it. I will say though, saying goodbye to my car for 24 hours was the longest night ever. I didn't want to let go lol.

I would say either way is fine. If you do decide to drive around first, avoid bad roads and don't follow too closely to cars in front of you. You don't want rocks flying at your vehicle at high speeds before you get protected.

Hmmm. Admittedly, it's a small risk to drive it before PPF. But, I drove my previous car around for 10 YEARS without PPF. I had the same dilemma when I picked up mine. Turned out I didn't get my appointment for PPF for 2 weeks. I just didn't take big trips, but I did drive it 110mi roundtrip to work every day. I'd drive it!