Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit failure, car says Pull Over Safely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I'd have to see what the warnings say. There's a "power off" button that does not turn off the hazards (I tried it). There must be some other sequence that you're referring to. Anyway it really shouldn't let you do it if the hazard lights are on. Simple fix. I could easily see myself making the same mistake if told to do so by roadside assistance.
Ya know, you raise a good point... try resetting computer by holding both wheels in see if that does it?

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I can't say about the laws in the OP's location. But in Texas you have the right to use the tow company of your choice at all times. Neither the cops nor other tow truck drivers can demand or assign you to use their service.

If this happened in Texas I would have asked the cop to block traffic with his lights on for safety, and waited for Tesla's roadside tow service. It's not the money for the tow, I would have no problem with that. But I know Tesla's service can tow the car correctly without causing further damage.

For the OP, here's my advice:

1. Escalate with Tesla. Two issues: A) The phone support rep should never have instructed you to power down the car when the car was not in a safe location. B) Tesla obviously must fix the car under warranty for the failed drive system.

2. Find out the laws in your state about tow service. You may not have been required to have the police-summoned tow service tow the car.

3. Check with your insurance, the tow may be covered under your policy.

4. If the tow driver messed up the car (interior dirt, etc.) ask them to pay to have it cleaned.
So people are allowed to park in the middle of the road? Seems super dangerous and inconvenient for other road users. Tesla's roadside assistance can take hours from what I hear.

So people are allowed to park in the middle of the road? Seems super dangerous and inconvenient for other road users. Tesla's roadside assistance can take hours from what I hear.

I had to use Tesla's roadside assistance one time when I had a leased S. I hit a curb and broke some suspension components so the car was not drivable or movable. I was also stuck in a lane of traffic on a multi-lane parkway with no shoulders (3 lanes, then curbs). Telsa roadside tow took about 1/2 hour to get there. A cop pulled up behind and put his lights on to block that lane.

At least in the larger cities in Texas, even Tesla roadside service doesn't take too long unless it's the middle of the night or something.

Accident vehicles are encouraged to move the vehicles to the shoulder if they are able. This takes care of many of the accidents. Texas' slogan for this advice is "if you can steer it, clear it".

Must be a millennials thing to post this stuff on Twitter. If I had twitter when I owned my VW I would have been on there quarterly to post about my $2500 repair bill every 3 months or so.. this will not cost them a dime in the end as the freaking car is under warranty.

new paint can sized motor installed - check
new software update - check
new 12 volt battery - check
back on the road in 48 hours - check
Whining for attention - check

300 moving parts in the largest one fails inside the 6K miles - yawn, stretch, popcorn break, dude has never owned a German car or a high end electronic device... if they fail, they do it early.

BTW Alexander, I loved your paper on China and our deficit. Your are a smart dude, drop the drama, and you will go very far in life.

@Xenoilphobe
I have actually owned a German car. It was a Mercedes GLK 350. I switched because I wanted little to no maintenance costs.

I understand where you’re coming from. It was just very unsettling and unexpected at the moment.

Attachments

• DB3B56E3-7313-4F15-9618-46C4D772C959.jpeg
    DB3B56E3-7313-4F15-9618-46C4D772C959.jpeg
    557.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Way to go. Post all over social media. That'll get their attention. Ever hear of simply writing a letter to Tesla?

*sugar* happens. With ANY car. Yours warned you to pull over safely. When they said ty powering down the car, did you not realize powering down would ummmmm kill all power?

Yes. It sucks. But your 1st world whining and crying... a bit overboard.

Writing a letter to Tesla and expecting a reply? LMAO

I guess I'd have to see what the warnings say. There's a "power off" button that does not turn off the hazards (I tried it). There must be some other sequence that you're referring to. Anyway it really shouldn't let you do it if the hazard lights are on. Simple fix. I could easily see myself making the same mistake if told to do so by roadside assistance.

according to what he wrote the Tesla Roadside told him to power down...it is frustrating just on a normal day, but trying to get to work and then basically receive very little help from roadside...well, !!
MB roadside never leaves you alone. They can be frustrating too b/c they try to get you to the correct person to help you..it can take awhile. It is however, life in the fast lane. A Tesla is not your grandfather's chevy..it's a high end tech phenom...we have to understand this & deal. i think we have had plenty of experience with tech mishaps with our smart phones! A fab support/roadside is the ticket..like Apple has...Tesla needs to make sure the roadside asst. are highly trained, informed & empathetic to people"s problems

I don’t get why you would say “screeches to a halt”. That sounds like the motor locked up and you skidded to a stop. Which would be a much more serious event than what actually happened. I think the mods should change the title to something resembling what you go on to describe in your post.

I just reported the post for having a misleading title.

Hmm, can someone help me understand why a bunch of folks on this thread is bashing or casting suspicion on the OP?

If that happened to me, regardless of which car I buy, I wouldn't be too happy either.
My theory is that many Tesla owners are coming from brands like BMW or VW so they think that having to get towed is a common experience.
We still need an answer as to whether or not there is some sort of reset sequence that turns off the hazard lights.

• Funny
Reactions: VT_EE
Hmm, can someone help me understand why a bunch of folks on this thread is bashing or casting suspicion on the OP?

Probably because the OP immediately contradicted emself by titling a thread "...skidded to a stop" and then described how it displayed a warning and then the car was pulled over to the side of the road in a controlled manner.

If that happened to me, regardless of which car I buy, I wouldn't be too happy either.

Nor would I. A much better title for this thread would be 'Tesla refusing to reimburse my tow'.

We still need an answer as to whether or not there is some sort of reset sequence that turns off the hazard lights.

I have now tested this on a Model S, 3 and X all with the same results... The hazard lights STAY FLASHING outside, but the interior indicators turn of for 30-50 seconds. So much for the overly dramatic OP, not to mention tears.

I don’t get why you would say “screeches to a halt”. That sounds like the motor locked up and you skidded to a stop. Which would be a much more serious event than what actually happened. I think the mods should change the title to something resembling what you go on to describe in your post.

I just reported the post for having a misleading title.

The Mods seem to have changed it but to answer your question, and at the risk of stating the obvious... clickbait.