Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit failure, car says Pull Over Safely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When your on with Tesla Roadside, they will call a tow that they have a relationship with in some way. I’m assuming it’s via some sort of training certification, but I can not verify. If they do not have one in the area, they will tell you, and then you can choose to use the other tow at your own risk. I know this because this is what has happened to me. One time I opted to use the other tow, and had lots of problems. The other my car was still movable, just noisy so I drove it 100 mi to the nearest Tesla service center

I’ll add that both of these times were in extremely remote places, one at least 50 mi from the nearest substantial town and 100 mi from a service center and the second hundreds of miles away from a substantial town. I wouldn’t be worried about the availability in your average city, but just like with service centers, approved service of any kind is hard to find outside of cities and it’s risky to use any non approved. Even for things as simple as a tire rotation, most non Tesla shops will reject you because they simply don’t know what to do in the off chance that something goes wrong.

That's kind of my point: not really. Reference pp. 163-164 of the owner's manual:
kBLz9Bd.png
Actually, this shows that it does. If you are not familiar with the Tesla controls, you will have no clue how to get to the controls menu to access transport mode. Your average Tesla user will know it as “the car graphic”, not the controls menu.

Do you want a tow guy trying to figure out “which one of these images is the controls?” On a situation where a wife or parent is borrowing your car and something goes wrong will they know how to “access the control menu from the touch screen”?

Would someone as a non Tesla owner know which graphic accesses that?

Like I said above, there are many things that can go wrong in that exact situation even when you are familiar with Tesla controls.

You seem to be pretty arrogant and indignant about this situation, and how someone should respond in a situation like this, for someone that hasn’t even owned a Tesla yet. It’s as if you’ve read the manual and you now know everything.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why it is that I am coming across as arrogant or indignant; I am sorry that this is the case. Truthfully, the only unusual part of towing a Tesla appears to be the process to set it into "Transport Mode", the directions for which are clear to me. Granted, that which is clear to me may not be clear to everyone. Would I want Sparky McTowtruck to be faffing about, trying (incorrectly) to put my car in Neutral before dragging it onto the flatbed? No; I would handle the internals of my car whilst the two truck operator handles the internals (including the winch operation) of his truck. If my spouse or parent or friend were borrowing my car, and were unsure how to handle something, I would trust them to call me for assistance.

As for the rest of my responses in this thread, is it arrogant of me to look askance at Tesla not reimbursing the OP for the tow simply because their service truck wasn't the one to perform the tow? Is it arrogant of me to point out the discrepancy between the original thread title and the sequence of events laid out in the original post?

Actually, this shows that it does. If you are not familiar with the Tesla controls, you will have no clue how to get to the controls menu to access transport mode. Your average Tesla user won’t know that either.
Do you want a tow guy trying to figure out “which one of these images is the controls?” On a situation where a wife or parent is borrowing your car and something goes wrong will they know how to “access the co tell menu from the touch screen”?

Do you as a non Tesla owner know which graphic accesses that?

You seem to be pretty arrogant and indignant about this situation, and how someone should respond in a situation like this, for someone that hasn’t even owned a Tesla yet.
I'm not sure why it is that I am coming across as arrogant or indignant; I am sorry that this is the case. Truthfully, the only unusual part of towing a Tesla appears to be the process to set it into "Transport Mode", the directions for which are clear to me. Granted, that which is clear to me may not be clear to everyone. Would I want Sparky McTowtruck to be faffing about, trying (incorrectly) to put my car in Neutral before dragging it onto the flatbed? No; I would handle the internals of my car whilst the two truck operator handles the internals (including the winch operation) of his truck. If my spouse or parent or friend were borrowing my car, and were unsure how to handle something, I would trust them to call me for assistance.

As for the rest of my responses in this thread, is it arrogant of me to look askance at Tesla not reimbursing the OP for the tow simply because their service truck wasn't the one to perform the tow? Is it arrogant of me to point out the discrepancy between the original thread title and the sequence of events laid out in the original post?

The arrogance mostly comes off in the posting of “its in the manual” so it should be known, and then posting pics of the manual to try to prove your point.

At first you said there was no difference. Now you say the only difference is transport mode. You haven’t gotten to the part (listed in the manual) about how to tow if there is no power. That is (again) something different from a normal car that I would assume someone would want their tow person to know about.

So in this short conversation, we have figured out at least two reasons why Tesla would want their tow truck driver to be knowledgeable about Tesla’s, and not want to reimburse for a tow, in case something goes wrong. And these are simply two differences that are listed in the manual, not any of the “chance occurrences” that would need to have some knowledge of both software and hardware. If something went wrong, I’m sure you would want Tesla to pay for it cause they called the tow truck right?

And the OP, may have had a hyperbolic headline, but isn’t that the point of a headline?

When your on with Tesla Roadside, they will call a tow that they have a relationship with in some way. I’m assuming it’s via some sort of training certification, but I can not verify. If they do not have one in the area, they will tell you, and then you can choose to use the other tow at your own risk. I know this because this is what has happened to me. One time I opted to use the other tow, and had lots of problems. The other my car was still movable, just noisy so I drove it 100 mi to the nearest Tesla service center
Maybe I'm just not "in" with the EVs but I don't think this is quite right. "At your own risk" implies somehow your at fault for Tesla not having their "recommended" options. I would hope that Tesla did not blame you (seems like the tow company's fault).

Hmm this opens up an interesting issue when lets say you get towed for illegal parking or after an accident when the key isn't available. Is the tow company liable? Generally I see signs saying the owner is responsible for all fee's for the illegal parking scenario but what if the car was damaged in the process?

Reactions: VoyageWOCarbon
You sure are critical of people in your postings. To me that is a bit overboard, but perhaps you are an expert at everything? I wish more people on here would be less rude with replies. So that is what it feels like when it comes back to you.
I am critical when someone posts over-dramatic nonsense. The OP was "car skidded to a halt" No it didn't. Nor did the hazard lights stop working. And no human being over the age of 16 should be reduced to tears by a vehicle breaking down.

Tesla is under assault from moneyed interests. A lazy media loves to troll these forums for their latest click-bait anti-Tesla "story", it's happened dozens of times. When someone speaks mis-truths (ie: "screeched to a halt" and "hazard lights turned off" (they couldn't have) and "my wife started crying")... seriously... That isnt a "hey this happened anyone have any ideas what happened?" It is a CLICK HERE LOOK AT ME and deserves to be called out for what it is. As many others have in this thread.

Do I know everything? No. But I have owned multiple Tesla's since 2013 including 5 Model S's, an X and a 3 so yes, I do know and understand allot. I can and have been wrong and I don't just blindly support Tesla. Hell I have called them out over several issues and have helped many TMC members with various issues. I'l admit I can be snippy sometimes and maybe I should work on that but when someone posts things that can't be true publicly to anyone who will listen, It comes across less like a person seeking assistance and more like someone trying to take Tesla down.

Last edited:
Hmm I suppose. OP sounded freaked out and probably hyperbolic, but no more so than anyone who had a roadside issue where pulling over seemed unsafe. I'm a little taken back by how much pushback actual consumers give their fellow buyers have when anything goes wrong with a Tesla... So much more than any other car forum.

In all honesty it's because Tesla gets attacked like no other company so when a story doesn't make sense, it sets off our radar.

From an outsider's view, it looks like a bad issue that Tesla isn't taking care of in the right way.

That's kind of the point. The post is intended to hurt Tesla to outsiders who don't realize what the poster said didn't happen, at least not the way he said it.

What actually happened: The vehicle suffered a failure, unlike every other car on the road the Tesla warned the driver, told him to pull over safely and he did. He activated his hazard lights and was towed by the police.

Yes, Tesla should cover the cost of the tow when compelled by the police. Thats legit as is the OP complaint about the car breaking down in the first place but see, that's not as sexy as "OMG My car just skidded to a halt and almost killed us". Therein lies the issue. The hyperbole and exaggerations buried any legitimacy to the OP.

Last edited:
I'm very interested to hear about any resolution, but I don't know we will find it here after the "welcome" we gave the OP.

In all honesty it's because Tesla gets attacked like no other company so when a story doesn't make sense, it sets off our radar.

Why exactly does everybody feel it is their responsibility to defend Tesla like it is their daughter's honor? I like my car and the company that made it, but the way people react to others who feel differently is a bit ridiculous. It turns things personal, which helps nobody.

Reactions: Phlier
Why exactly does everybody feel it is their responsibility to defend Tesla like it is their daughter's honor? I like my car and the company that made it, but the way people react to others who feel differently is a bit ridiculous. It turns things personal, which helps nobody.

I think part of the problem is that we now live in the "post-truth" era. Facts and figures are now meaningless, it's all about what people "believe".

I have no problem with anyone who may not like Tesla or may prefer another car, but what bothers me and prompts the need to defend is that 9 times out of 10 they have made that judgment based on lies and misleading statements. Some of those people who are willing to accept the facts then reevaluate their judgement. Others willfully refuse to accept any factual statements, preferring instead to "believe" their false narrative.

This scenario plays out everywhere in many more subjects other than just Tesla. This happens with any topic these days, including serious ones like climate change, tariffs, and vaccinations. Now it's been extended into the minutiae such as inaguration crowd sizes and hurricane prediction cones. Nothing can simply be stated as factual anymore, we now live in the era of "alternative facts", whatever that means.

I've gotten to where I no longer discuss my cars with anyone, and indeed even actively avoid doing so. The process is futile and a waste of time, because I'm certainly not going to change anyone's mind. They've already decided what they're going to "believe".

I am critical when someone posts over-dramatic nonsense. The OP was "car skidded to a halt" No it didn't. Nor did the hazard lights stop working. And no human being over the age of 16 should be reduced to tears by a vehicle breaking down.

Tesla is under assault from moneyed interests. A lazy media loves to troll these forums for their latest click-bait anti-Tesla "story", it's happened dozens of times. When someone speaks mis-truths (ie: "screeched to a halt" and "hazard lights turned off" (they couldn't have) and "my wife started crying")... seriously... That isnt a "hey this happened anyone have any ideas what happened?" It is a CLICK HERE LOOK AT ME and deserves to be called out for what it is. As many others have in this thread.

Do I know everything? No. But I have owned multiple Tesla's since 2013 including 5 Model S's, an X and a 3 so yes, I do know and understand allot. I can and have been wrong and I don't just blindly support Tesla. Hell I have called them out over several issues and have helped many TMC members with various issues. I'l admit I can be snippy sometimes and maybe I should work on that but when someone posts things that can't be true publicly to anyone who will listen, It comes across less like a person seeking assistance and more like someone trying to take Tesla down.
I agree with most everything in this post. The only thing I don't agree with? "Allot" is actually spelled "a lot". ;)

I should further explain the hidden meaning to that statement. We often pick on people for really minute, inconsequential things. Calling a guy/gal out for "allot" in this post is a perfect example of "a lot" of the stuff that has occurred in this thread.

But yeah, I think NoMoGas nailed it.

Exactly! The company isn't perfect, and we need to call them out on the areas in which they need to improve. Nothing wrong with that.

And the way people almost take it personally when Tesla *is* called out on something just isn't right. Yeah, we need to know about the company's faults and failures, but "OMG! teh car screeched to a halt, we almost died, and my wife iz crying!11!!1!!" does zero good to anyone but the people and organizations that have vendettas against Tesla.

Because we believe in Tesla's mission like our kids lives depend on it... because they do. The connection people feel to Tesla is like virtually no other car company. The car is amazing but the mission is larger then ourselves. To make that mission succeed Tesla can and should be called out for failures (service issues, delays and do't get me started about Elon's Twitter feed) but this company is attacked like no other. I've seen countless stories of car crashes and fires but unless it's a Tesla, you'll never know the make of the car. Short sellers attack the company to manipulate the stock and together with moneyed interests like the car dealers association and oil companies, pump out negative stories at a level that would put a russian troll farm to shame. They love to use this forum as a source so yes, when someone posts hyperbolic nonsense we feel a need to shut it down quick. Had he just posted what actually happened without the drama, my guess is he would have been met with much more concern.

Tesla has a cult like following, and for good reason. We have cars that literally get better with age, can be fixed with a software upgrade in a parking lot, and has power and responsiveness never seen before. To some, superchargers are a great place to meet new friends and share our travel stories. Many of us own more than one, something not really seen with any other car. Many more of us own stock so theres another reason we don't need unnecessary manufactured nonsense out there.

Theres many many reasons to support Tesla but we aren't blind to Tesla's faults. I have written articles on them as constructive criticism but we've also seen the battle scars. We've been here for the "Teslas are fire traps" nonsense, or the "Unintended acceleration" fiasco (It was ALWAYS the driver stepping on the wrong peddle), now every crash report includes "unknown if autopilot was engaged" when that could be answered by asking the driver so yea, it get's old. For each of these previous stories we as a community initially responded with concern and analysis only to have that twisted in a media report. Of course the resolution never got reported, especially when it turned out the car wasn't at fault. Even as late as this week there are reports that Tesla is suffering from a lack of interest in their cars. Forget the record sales, or the fact that Tesla has sold more EV's then anyone on the planet... all of these articles eventually quote these forums to show how bad these cars are which is why nobody wants one... It's incredibly frustrating so we do our part to try and keep the record strait.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: derotam and Phlier
Because we believe in Tesla's mission like our kids lives depend on it... because they do. The connection people feel to Tesla is like virtually no other car company. The car is amazing but the mission is larger then ourselves. To make that mission succeed Tesla can and should be called out for failures (service issues, delays and do't get me started about Elon's Twitter feed) but this company is attacked like no other. I've seen countless stories of car crashes and fires but unless it's a Tesla, you'll never know the make of the car. Short sellers attack the company to manipulate the stock and together with moneyed interests like the car dealers association and oil companies, pump out negative stories at a level that would put a russian troll farm to shame. They love to use this forum as a source so yes, when someone posts hyperbolic nonsense we feel a need to shut it down quick. Had he just posted what actually happened without the drama, my guess is he would have been met with much more concern.

Tesla has a cult like following, and for good reason. We have cars that literally get better with age, can be fixed with a software upgrade in a parking lot, and has power and responsiveness never seen before. To some, superchargers are a great place to meet new friends and share our travel stories. Many of us own more than one, something not really seen with any other car. Many more of us own stock so theres another reason we don't need unnecessary manufactured nonsense out there.

Theres many many reasons to support Tesla but we aren't blind to Tesla's faults. I have written articles on them as constructive criticism but we've also seen the battle scars. We've been here for the "Teslas are fire traps" nonsense, or the "Unintended acceleration" fiasco (It was ALWAYS the driver stepping on the wrong peddle), now every crash report includes "unknown if autopilot was engaged" when that could be answered by asking the driver so yea, it get's old. For each of these previous stories we as a community initially responded with concern and analysis only to have that twisted in a media report. Of course the resolution never got reported, especially when it turned out the car wasn't at fault. Even as late as this week there are reports that Tesla is suffering from a lack of interest in their cars. Forget the record sales, or the fact that Tesla has sold more EV's then anyone on the planet... all of these articles eventually quote these forums to show how bad these cars are which is why nobody wants one... It's incredibly frustrating so we do our part to try and keep the record strait.
Hmm... this is what I am skeptical of. You say you aren't blind yet in an instance where I would argue it is reasonable to be hyperbolic, you instead try to cast blame on the poster. Any company, Tesla or not, does not need user crusaders. Thats why they have a PR department. I see it with many different car brands, but from a guy trying to decide on which car to buy, just on this form I see a much more... oddly vigorous defense of Tesla.

You might think your sticking up for a great cause, but quite frankly its simply anti-consumer behavior.

Completely agree @SadPanda.

In many ways, I think the “cult-like” following that people perceive Tesla owners as is counterproductive. It’s one thing to like your car and support the company that makes it, but mounting an emotional defense against anyone who attacks them makes us all seem like a bunch of wack jobs.

You don’t change someone’s mind by attacking them, the human brain just doesn’t work like that.

People act the same way towards negative information if that negative information is directed toward something that they care deeply about..or if said negative information is so patently false that an individual wants to ensure the misconception is corrected.

You either fight or flee in the face of negativity. On a forum you get both, but you only ever see the fight. The people who flee are just keeping their mouth shut either because they don't want to get into a fight, or they know that they don't have anything relevant to provide to the conversation.

You don’t change someone’s mind by attacking them, the human brain just doesn’t work like that.

This is just way to broad of a statement. You can change some peoples minds by attacking them, in the right scenario.

I think a lot of people here get very defensive when someone posts something that clearly(at least to them) is either false, misleading, or lacks important details. Multiple ways to respond to each of those.

Hmm... this is what I am skeptical of. You say you aren't blind yet in an instance where I would argue it is reasonable to be hyperbolic, you instead try to cast blame on the poster. Any company, Tesla or not, does not need user crusaders. Thats why they have a PR department. I see it with many different car brands, but from a guy trying to decide on which car to buy, just on this form I see a much more... oddly vigorous defense of Tesla.

You might think your sticking up for a great cause, but quite frankly its simply anti-consumer behavior.

Agree to disagree

Agree to disagree
Ya know, this statement is exactly why I enjoy reading your posts... most of which I completely agree with.

But your decorum when you don't agree with someone is something that allot (see what I did there? :) ) of people would do well to follow your lead. Nothing wrong with disagreeing with people as long as we do it in a civilized matter.

Keeping a disagreement classy is a skill that is so lacking in society today. I'm not trying to take the high ground here (I'll leave that to Obi Wan), as I'm just as guilty as everyone else in allowing a disagreement to reach disproportionately high levels of emotion on occasion. My wife will confirm this.