Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver-adjustable Regen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, that's what I thought. so there's no advantage to turning down the regen to a lower setting, better to just adapt to the highest setting. Given the option I'd take zero regen with lifting the accelerator and max regen with increasing brake pressure...but I'm confident I'll adjust just fine.

I really like the regen on the accelerator and think most people will too. It takes a very short time to get used to it but once you hop back into an ICE, it's a weird feeling coasting when you let off the accelerator.

I was told at the Toronto event that the Model S in full regen mode will use the absolute max; the number seems high to me, but I believe he said the rate will be 90 kW. It's a heavy car compared to the Roadster...

Apparently this will not be the case in Europe because some dim-witted legislation forbids to light the brake lights on regen-only deceleration. As a consequence, Tesla will tune down regen a fair bit. But since regen power depends on speed, the threshould could be made dependent on speed instead of a fixed value.
For 1m/s² deceleration (a modest 0.1g), regen power at 65mph is 60kW versus 20kW at 22mph.
I use P = m v a with m= vehicle mass = 2000kg

I was told at the Toronto event that the Model S in full regen mode will use the absolute max; the number seems high to me, but I believe he said the rate will be 90 kW. It's a heavy car compared to the Roadster...

Yes it's the max but it will not feel like the Roadster because the car weighs so much.

Right, I should clarify: "up to 90 kW". Others can do the math to see if I'm remembering correctly. ;)
I wasn't sure how to interpret that relative to my Prius. Today I used my CanView and found that the 'regular' regen (foot off accelerator, no brake) varies a bit depending upon speed b/w 2kW and 5kW. Under maximal Regen braking it peaks at 25kW (likewise max 25kW output in EV mode). Just providing a frame of reference.