Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver-adjustable Regen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nik

Got there eventually :-)
Jan 18, 2011
Cambridge, UK
A snippet from the TTAC contributor's write-up of the Model S beta factory tour. For those who have strong opinions on the subject, this might be of interest.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/10/tesla-model-s-customer-blog-beta-under-the-bright-lights/#more-413446

“Tesla’s brake system is just as efficient as Toyota’s, and we’ve done the dyno testing to prove it,” says Baglino. What’s not widely known, he says, is that the Toyota system does indeed apply the friction brakes slightly whenever the brake pedal is used. This smooths the transition to full friction braking when necessary.

When I pleaded for driver-adjustable regen on the Model S, he said this was under consideration. (Two days after the event, while writing up this report, on a whim I e-mailed Tesla boss Elon Musk and repeated my plea for driver-adjustable regen. Three hours later, I got this reply: “I totally agree that regen should be driver-adjustable and it will be on Model S.” The message was Cced to JB Straubel, Tesla CTO.)

Way to go with the customer feedback, but I do hope Elon isn't seeing himself as some form of replacement Steve Jobs.

A snippet from the TTAC contributor's write-up of the Model S beta factory tour. For those who have strong opinions on the subject, this might be of interest.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/10/tesla-model-s-customer-blog-beta-under-the-bright-lights/#more-413446

Way to go with the customer feedback, but I do hope Elon isn't seeing himself as some form of replacement Steve Jobs.

Why Steve jobs? Because he responded to the email? I +1 adjustable regen though.

That's good news. But as a "Prius Expert" the information in that statement about the Prius applying the friction brakes is completely false. It was true on the first gen prius, but since late 2003 the 2nd and 3rd gen Prius do not apply the friction brakes at all until you get below 7mph or in abrupt/emergency braking situations.

Is it just me or are the tail lights in the first video in that article (around 20s) different from the Betas we saw on the tracks? They look more Roadster like.

Yes, there was that one partially finished chassis on the factory floor with the one charge port door people could touch (although no socket behind it) and those big round (LED?) tail light fixtures. My assumption is that they are not anything that would ever see production, and were maybe just a test fixture to make sure the wiring harness could activate the rear lights. They looked like something you could buy at an auto parts store to go on a trailer:
led.JPG

6213647752_4df88c02c0_z.jpg
Or maybe those are just buried under the light reflector box that changes the shape of what you see?
tlight1.jpg

Last edited:
Having the ability to temporarily disable regen would be wonderful for those rare times you take the car on a track. You don't want it getting in the way of cornering.

For street driving however I'd want as much regen as they can muster.

This is GREAT news.

Now to get it where it can be adjusted quickly while driving. The AC Propulsion E Box has a 4" mechanical slider on the dash. As i have said before I would love a dedicated steering wheel stalk to adjust regen radidly when approaching a traffic jam (more) driving highways (less) heading into the canyons (more) and general hypermiling (less).

I don't think Fanz reads these boards but if there is an engineer reading this please pass it on the design team as well. :)

Here you go.....

One of the engineering advantages that make an EV better than any gas-powered car is regenerative braking. When you take your foot off the Model S accelerator, energy is fed back into the battery, which causes the car to slow down (a similar feel to downshifting with a manual transmission). One of our Firmware engineers wrote a great blog about this technology shortly after the release of our Tesla Roadster. Over the past few years, we have learned that not everyone likes the same amount of Regen. Some owners like a little more resistance, some like a little less. Having less Regen means you will likely get less range, but some people still prefer the feel of their car with less Regen. We listened to your requests and I’m pleased to announce that Model S Regen will be adjustable. You can adjust Regen to suit your driving style.

Dude, slow down. That's what speed bumps are for......

Sure, if you know where you are going but often if you don't know the terrain and you for example have to turn into a driveway that is steep you'd want to be able to adjust it quickly instead of annoying all the people behind you. Hopefully they'll have voice control. "KITT (or HAL), raise the suspension". Or "Go go gadget suspension" :)

The screen simulations are run on computers at Tesla. I am sure this came from one of those setups. Unless Tesla leaks how to screen shot, I doubt it will be a feature at first if ever.

Happy to see adjustable Regen. I hope for more adjustment...