Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Driver Assistance Features Unavailabe"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having this issue repeatedly in subfreezing temperatures, and I'm darn near positive it's from frozen condensation within the housing. The problem is that in the logs it shows up as a camera obstruction, so to Tesla it's indistinguishable from when my windshield is dirty. They want to recalibrate my radar (and by most accounts, this is standard) before touching the camera, and I get starting small, but it's so frustrating to know there's an issue with the camera and not be able to prove it to them. I was able to reproduce this today and got part of it on video, so I'm hoping that will help.

Reactions: jgs
I've had this happen a couple dozen times on my Model S in the 9 months I've owned it. it started shortly after I got the car in the summer and would only last for about 5 minutes. The problem escalated in frequency and duration with the worst occurrence starting right when I was about to do a 500 mile drive and not clearing up until 1/2 way. The car is cleaned/washed often and was mostly garage kept until January.

They always suggested that they were pulling the logs but I never heard back from what the found. Finally at about the 20th occurrence, I told them that this is becoming a nuisance and they finally obliged to do a re-calibration of the camera and apply the latest firmware. They checked the car for over a week and did not see the error. Sadly, it's happened to me 3 times since then with most recently it happened shortly after I applied the 8.1 update.

It is happens, it seems to happen within 5 minutes after I have charged the car. This last occurrence happened after Supercharging pointing away from the sun. At least it cleared it self just in time about 30 minutes later. Hopefully they find out what going on AND have a course of action to fix it. *knock on wood* the Model X has not had a single issue with AP.

Also have this problem, just as recently as yesterday after charging at the supercharger it was night time and warn as I live in florida, so I don't think it is temperature related.

In the morning once in a while I get the message, yesterday there was no message, just AP/Cruise and everything camera related unavailable.

Only solution is to power cycle (power-off, wait 2-3 minutes) then it works again. Very annoying as yesterday i was in a not so nice area and had to wait until I got to a better area to park and wait the minutes.

Called Tesla and they pulled the logs, we'll see what comes of it.

Happened about at least 6 or 7 times in 2-3 months, very annoying.

I have a fairly early model x. This started for me soon after I got the car in April 2016. At the time I recall they said they replaced a module that was installed incorrectly. I did not have a problem (with the driver assistance features unavailable) until a few weeks ago when it happenned again. Reset didnt work. Tech support said after reviewing logs I might need camera replaced...but it resolved on its own...until yesterday....then went away again. Both times it happened this year was after parking outside on a hot parking lot for a few hours on the only 2 really hot days we've had here this spring. When I leave from garage, no issues. Just thought I'd add that to the mix. Waiting for SC to call me with next move. I may take them up on offer for camera replacement. I need to do that recall repair anyway.