Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

driver seat feels like it is moving when driving? [in 2019]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never experienced the problem with my Model 3 but had a similar problem with an Audi many years ago in which the seat felt like it was tapping me on the bottom when I would drive it. It was intermittent and the service center had to fix it by replacing the entire seat... subsequently they reported that the seat frame was broken and since it happened a year later a second time (I'm 5'11 and weigh 190 lbs) they speculated that I was entering the car "too hard" and breaking the frame.

Never had the problem on any other car I've ever owned.

Reactions: SammichLover
I experience the exact same thing. It feels like the seat slides back a bit under moderate acceleration. I don't notice it if I accelerate slowly or quickly, only somewhere in the middle. I can't replicate it by pushing with my hands and legs. Sometimes I think it might be torque ripple, or the brakes disengaging once I've started moving, and sometimes I'm convinced it's the seat.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
yup, you are describing the same thing littlehobo. it definitely feels like something in the seat. well, I guess I will just have to wait till it gets bad enough to replicate consistently or starts happening to more owners. I hope it isn't something broken inside the seat.

Yes, - It's a worn fastener (rivet) on the seat. You can feel it with your fingers if you reach under the left and right side front of the seat - place your finger over the rivet head and hit the accelerator (mind the road while doing so!), and you'll feel the play.
I haven't fixed mine yet, requires removing the whole damned seat, and my problem is not bad enough(yet) to justify the 2 hours of my time to do that.
The SC may or may not repair it - it is so hard to get them to identify it. My SC identified it and the solution was a new seat - I'm out of warranty - I'm sure a quick tap from a tack welder would do the trick for far less money.

Yes, - It's a worn fastener (rivet) on the seat. You can feel it with your fingers if you reach under the left and right side front of the seat - place your finger over the rivet head and hit the accelerator (mind the road while doing so!), and you'll feel the play.
I haven't fixed mine yet, requires removing the whole damned seat, and my problem is not bad enough(yet) to justify the 2 hours of my time to do that.
The SC may or may not repair it - it is so hard to get them to identify it. My SC identified it and the solution was a new seat - I'm out of warranty - I'm sure a quick tap from a tack welder would do the trick for far less money.
Awesome thanks. I’m at 5k with this concern. Scheduled appointment

I just had this rectified with mine. Mobile tech came and changed all 4 bolts holding the seat tracks to the floor. There is a known issue apparently and the remedy is to change out these bolts. Fixed my issue. I tried tightening the bolts myself and it made no change, I assume the new bolts are fractionally shorter to tighten closer? Either way, setup service from the app and they will get it sorted

Reactions: Bill Foster
I just had this rectified with mine. Mobile tech came and changed all 4 bolts holding the seat tracks to the floor. There is a known issue apparently and the remedy is to change out these bolts. Fixed my issue. I tried tightening the bolts myself and it made no change, I assume the new bolts are fractionally shorter to tighten closer? Either way, setup service from the app and they will get it sorted

hey sacredzero, would you mind uploading a pic of the service invoice (leaving off personal info)? Would appreciate it.

So my 100 mile away SC is telling me the seat has no movement and is the same as the passenger seat and new vehicles. This is just completely false (but quite frankly not surprising). This is what they put on the invoice and I didn't argue bc I figured I could have better luck with mobile. My SC advisors are great but the techs really come across as deceptive and are avoiding any type of work. It really sucks to have such little confidence that they even care. I've made an appointment with mobile and referenced the following SB:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163738-9999.pdf

located on this thread:

Update: Drivers seat squeak / loose seatback - Tesla Owners Online

Hope this helps.

So my 100 mile away SC is telling me the seat has no movement and is the same as the passenger seat and new vehicles. This is just completely false (but quite frankly not surprising). This is what they put on the invoice and I didn't argue bc I figured I could have better luck with mobile. My SC advisors are great but the techs really come across as deceptive and are avoiding any type of work. It really sucks to have such little confidence that they even care. I've made an appointment with mobile and referenced the following SB:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163738-9999.pdf

located on this thread:

Update: Drivers seat squeak / loose seatback - Tesla Owners Online

Hope this helps.
Always take the advisor for a drive if you can.

still need to get mine fixed, just not excited to leave my car there for a few days.

"Moving seat" has two different things it can be.

One is the normal "give" of the seat. The seat is a semi-rigid object that you can press back into, has padding, and so on. This is normal and to be expected. If it is a springy and squishy feel, it's normal.

Then there is shifting. Shifting is differentiated by a sharp motion that happens and stops. Shifting has a distinct hard end to it and often a "clunk" feel or even sound. It is jarring and can actually be painful. Shifting is NOT normal. Shifting is bad. My car just got back from the SC to correct shifting that was caused by improperly torqued bolts on the seat. Mobile usually cannot fix shifting because the bolts used have bolt lock pre-applied, and the shifting kills the bolt lock, so new bolts are needed. Just tightening down the bolts ends up getting loose again in short order.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
"Moving seat" has two different things it can be.

One is the normal "give" of the seat. The seat is a semi-rigid object that you can press back into, has padding, and so on. This is normal and to be expected. If it is a springy and squishy feel, it's normal.

Then there is shifting. Shifting is differentiated by a sharp motion that happens and stops. Shifting has a distinct hard end to it and often a "clunk" feel or even sound. It is jarring and can actually be painful. Shifting is NOT normal. Shifting is bad. My car just got back from the SC to correct shifting that was caused by improperly torqued bolts on the seat. Mobile usually cannot fix shifting because the bolts used have bolt lock pre-applied, and the shifting kills the bolt lock, so new bolts are needed. Just tightening down the bolts ends up getting loose again in short order.

Did you have any knocking sounds as a result of your seat "shift"? Could you post a pic of your invoice? thanks

It's good to know I'm not the only one. My driver's seat feels like it moves back a few mm upon initial acceleration. Very noticeable if I'm coming to a hard stop and then accelerate again. I told the SC about it when I was having other work done and I don't think they even looked at it because it still feels the same and it never showed up on my receipt.