Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver seat moves while car is in motion...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very bizarre and dangerous situation yesterday as the driver seat moved towards the steering wheel while my wife was driving on the freeway at 70+MPH. It was unprovoked and as I was sitting in the back and I could see that the main screen was acting as if someone hit one of the driver settings (this could not be the case since my wife's setting is already the closest to the wheel, hence there is no other saved profile setting that would trigger the seat to move closer to the steering wheel).

15 minutes later, while we were parked the same thing happened and the driver seat was pushing itself forward towards the steering wheel.

The app doesn't have any available appointments until ~May, so I'm frantically trying to see the best way to get this checked out, as it's a very dangerous situation. I'm on software version 2022.8.2.

Just sharing this information in case someone has experienced something like this.

Reactions: jiehan
Very bizarre and dangerous situation yesterday as the driver seat moved towards the steering wheel while my wife was driving on the freeway at 70+MPH. It was unprovoked and as I was sitting in the back and I could see that the main screen was acting as if someone hit one of the driver settings (this could not be the case since my wife's setting is already the closest to the wheel, hence there is no other saved profile setting that would trigger the seat to move closer to the steering wheel).

15 minutes later, while we were parked the same thing happened and the driver seat was pushing itself forward towards the steering wheel.

The app doesn't have any available appointments until ~May, so I'm frantically trying to see the best way to get this checked out, as it's a very dangerous situation. I'm on software version 2022.8.2.

Just sharing this information in case someone has experienced something like this.

My MCU is faulty and will "ghost press" one part of the screen. Not sure if you have the same issue but it will just happen randomly (mine is bottom corner so HVAC or the theater in V11).

I can't reproduce it for the service techs so they just charged me money and didn't do anything. I just let it go because mine is just an annoyance -- yours sounds a lot more dangerous. Good luck!

Make sure to file an NHTSA complaint. This is a safety issue. Also it substantially impairs the use of the vehicle so every day that it's like this counts towards the 30 day magnuson moss threshold.

• Helpful
Reactions: kavyboy and croman
My MCU is faulty and will "ghost press" one part of the screen. Not sure if you have the same issue but it will just happen randomly (mine is bottom corner so HVAC or the theater in V11).

I can't reproduce it for the service techs so they just charged me money and didn't do anything. I just let it go because mine is just an annoyance -- yours sounds a lot more dangerous. Good luck!

Charged you diagnostic for a broken 2022 MXLR?????

The MCU2 has a 4 year warranty.

Yes but in order for the warranty to apply, they charge a diagnostic fee. If the error isn't reproduced they feel it isn't a real warranty issue and charge you for their time.

For me, they had the car for other reasons apart from the MCU and they claimed in 4 hours it never happened. Bogus but I can't prove it.

I have videos showing the defect since the touch screen control gets disabled but can control via steering click buttons and wheel just fine or voice. So I can't control anything by touching the screen when it's doing the ghost press but I can say "backup camera" or "defog windshield" in a pinch to overcome the issue. It is less frequent with recent software.

Yes but in order for the warranty to apply, they charge a diagnostic fee. If the error isn't reproduced they feel it isn't a real warranty issue and charge you for their time.

For me, they had the car for other reasons apart from the MCU and they claimed in 4 hours it never happened. Bogus but I can't prove it.

I have videos showing the defect since the touch screen control gets disabled but can control via steering click buttons and wheel just fine or voice. So I can't control anything by touching the screen when it's doing the ghost press but I can say "backup camera" or "defog windshield" in a pinch to overcome the issue. It is less frequent with recent software.

Time to put the video on youtube, twitter, and file an NHTSA complaint. I'd also file a dispute with the credit card company with the video as proof that you have a covered component malfunctioning.

What did they charge you for? Why would you pay money for nothing done? Im sure they will be happy to replace the unit after the warranty is up.

What did they charge you for? Why would you pay money for nothing done? Im sure they will be happy to replace the unit after the warranty is up.

89 diagnostic charge. They make you agree the potential charge just take it in for service and I had other work I needed done (12V replacement and a couple other items).

They are not the same company as 2016 be warned. They unilaterally determine what's a warranty fix and what isn't. Not worth fighting them since I'm trading in the car.

Pulled some strings and managed to get an appt at the service center 2 days after the incident. I provided them with the exact time it happened and they had no record of it and kept my car for 7 days and wasn't able to reproduce.

Will definitely file a report with NHTSA and keep this thread open in case another owner observes something similar.

If the easy access button was pushed on the second row of seats, it would cause the driver seat to move forward. My grandkids accidently have used that button instead of the seat adjust buttons and moved the driver seat forward unintendedly.

Pulled some strings and managed to get an appt at the service center 2 days after the incident. I provided them with the exact time it happened and they had no record of it and kept my car for 7 days and wasn't able to reproduce.

Will definitely file a report with NHTSA and keep this thread open in case another owner observes something similar.
I am currently experiencing this issue with my 22 MYLR. It is accompanied by the windows not working and the seat controls either not working or moving the seat a different way than it is supposed to (move forward makes the seat back come forward). They have replaced the seat controls, the seat, and the window regulator. Nothing has fixed it. Third service appt in a month this Friday. I have only had the car since May.

• Informative
I am currently experiencing this issue with my 22 MYLR. It is accompanied by the windows not working and the seat controls either not working or moving the seat a different way than it is supposed to (move forward makes the seat back come forward). They have replaced the seat controls, the seat, and the window regulator. Nothing has fixed it. Third service appt in a month this Friday. I have only had the car since May.

Yikes, keep us updated on how it goes (or a possible fix from a SC). Luckily for us the issue did not repeat itself -- though I never received an answer from NHTSA after I submitted my complaint.

Just got my new Model 3 LR 3 days ago. Today, while parked and talking on phone my driver seat moved forward all by itself. Then later while driving it moved 3 more times. Just started out of the blue, didn't do it the first 3 days I had the car. Very worried, service appointment next Tues.

• Informative
Just got my new Model 3 LR 3 days ago. Today, while parked and talking on phone my driver seat moved forward all by itself. Then later while driving it moved 3 more times. Just started out of the blue, didn't do it the first 3 days I had the car. Very worried, service appointment next Tues.

Scary stuff. I would file something with NHTSA just so you have it on file. Please let us know what the service center says. They weren't able to identify the issue at the time and (luckily) it hasn't happened since.

Reactions: ehadrive3
Has there been any update to this situation? My wife has mentioned just today, our '23 X has had the seat move up, down, forwards and backwards randomly twice now, both while doing 70 mph on the express way with our 2 year old in the backseat. I am not at all thrilled with this, for obvious reasons.

This never did happen again to our X and we never did hear back from NHTSA when we filed our original complaint. I'll admit it took us a few weeks to not be nervous about driving on the freeway again though.

Please keep us updated if you hear anything from the service centers. Be sure to report the exact date and time it happened (even though they still had no record of it).