Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver seat resets to secondary key fob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WannabeOwner

Nov 2, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Is this a know issue? thanks.

Arrive at, say, Supercharger. Both fobs are in the car, not in my pocket. I get out of drivers seat - to get us both a coffee - and the driver seat changes to secondary key fob setting - i.e. both fobs are in the car but no "weight" on the driver's seat sensor.

Happens every time I get out and wife stays in the car.

Here also. My wife also invariably gets in the car before me as I'm unplugging, and it detects her fob in the purse and I have to reset to my profile.

I've also occasionally had my fob trigger my wife's profile even though I'm the only one in the car...

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Thanks.

Come to think of it in some circumstances like this (haven't figured out a possible cause yet) the heating goes up to HI on both sides as we both return to the car / open a door (after getting a coffee at a Supercharger stop).

I wonder if that might be a Phone APP triggering that - although I have definitely not chosen that option on Phone at that time - unless it is a "left over" from some hours earlier.

I'll concentrate more next time it happens to see fi I can pin-point the circumstances

Thanks.

Come to think of it in some circumstances like this (haven't figured out a possible cause yet) the heating goes up to HI on both sides as we both return to the car / open a door (after getting a coffee at a Supercharger stop).

I wonder if that might be a Phone APP triggering that - although I have definitely not chosen that option on Phone at that time - unless it is a "left over" from some hours earlier.

I'll concentrate more next time it happens to see fi I can pin-point the circumstances
I occasionally see both HVAC and radio resets to odd configurations as well that I can't pin down.

What's interesting is that they are settings that I often use (so I'm pretty sure it's not random), but they are not the last state I've left them in... indeed in some cases they are several trips old.

For example: There's a sports talk station favorite I have that I only listen to on weekdays. Despite several weekend driving session where I'm typically listening to one of several Slacker stations, I'll get in on a Sunday afternoon only to find my sports talk station selected.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Here also. My wife also invariably gets in the car before me as I'm unplugging, and it detects her fob in the purse and I have to reset to my profile.

I've also occasionally had my fob trigger my wife's profile even though I'm the only one in the car...
sorry, your key fobs automatically link to your profile and adjust the seat and mirrors as you approach? How do I program this?

sorry, your key fobs automatically link to your profile and adjust the seat and mirrors as you approach? How do I program this?

If you click the driver profile button at the top of the center screen you'll see a link for "manage profiles" or something like that at the bottom of the list of names. It's in there where you can then link fobs. I think there only named as "Fob 1" and "Fob 2" unfortunately, so you'll have to know which is which.

Reactions: scaesare
This happens to me all the time. When both my wife and I get in I typically have to manually select my profile. If I leave the car for a minute, it switches back to her profile again.

This is a great opportunity for Tesla's software team to improve the ownership experience. :)

GSP

If you click the driver profile button at the top of the center screen you'll see a link for "manage profiles" or something like that at the bottom of the list of names. It's in there where you can then link fobs. I think there only named as "Fob 1" and "Fob 2" unfortunately, so you'll have to know which is which.

It will only let you link a fob that is detected in the car, so as long as you are alone and the other fob is elsewhere, you will link the correct fob.

When both are detected, I believe Fob 1 has priority.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenius
thanks @Xenius and @Chaserr

Did it this morning with my key fob (#3, we lost #2). Will link #1 (wife's key) to nothing so that the seat doesn't move to my wife's position (she's 5'3", I'm 6'5") in these situations as she carries her fob in her purse at all times, even if I'm driving.

I was waiting for this ability as our height differences led to much yelling in the garage early mornings by me after she'd driven the car the night before and parked it with the seat rammed up to the steering wheel. I have no idea how she gets in/out like that.

I only found the settings a month or so ago, so this may be a recent update that added it, but in that time I had a similar issue with my partner's key adjusting my seat when both keys were in the car. I had fob 2, this is why I think Fob 1 takes priority. We physically traded keys, and linked Fob 1 to my profile since I will only carry the fob when driving and she has the fob at all times. You don't have to set up anything else when you trade fobs like that, just unlink, link to new one. Something to watch for if she wants her fob linked and you find yourself squished by her profile.