Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Side Wiper Rattling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Please see video below as my drivers side wiper blade is rattling and making a noise. Anyone seen this before? I should note I was involved in a minor accident with a construction cone this past weekend, but can't imagine that being related.

Autopilot and Pay attention!!!

Hard to tell in video:

I have seen this mentioned in other windshield wiper posts. I personally experienced it after treating my exterior windows with Rain X, driver's and passenger side.

There appears to be some controversy in the forum posts on the cause and effect, so to speak. I can't be a 100% sure on the cause myself, but the problem went away on its own. Never reapplied the stain X since. Just my 2 cents as an FYI.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: mbhforum
I'd put the wipers in service mode and check to see if anything is broken or bent. Check the spring tension holding the wipers to the windows are the same. If so, replace the blades and see what happens. I don't know if they are Tesla specific, or generic type.

Probably the same issue as in this thread: Windshield Wiper Noise and Shudder

I had this intermittently, depending on how clean the windshield was, if I used RainX, etc. Fixed it by going to a slightly shorter wiper blade (Bosch Icon 26").

Thanks! I searched around and this seems to be the common fix. Kind of frustrating that for a car this expensive there is such an annoying flaw!

My December 2016 car has always done that since new. The service center won't really do anything about it. I've applied rain-x, removed rain-x, installed new blades twice, and even had to change the wiper arm and windshield at one point (due to a chip) and the problem still remained. The best solution so far is to switch to 26" Bosch blades. It still makes noise occasionally but not as noticeable

Same issue here on a new Model S. It happened the first time I used the wipers in the rain and still does. Outside of the car it definitely sounds like Ike something more than the blades on glass. Going to ask SC about it next time I’m in.