TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Windshield Wiper Noise and Shudder

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Marcira, May 1, 2016.

1. Marcira

Marcira Member

I noticed this approximately a month ago. When it rains, the lower part of the driver's side wiper makes a shudder in the rain. However, unlike previous posts, which reported left over rain (and is a known problem), the blade does remove the rain in that area. I brought it in for service and they replaced the blade (Bosch). No help. I insisted Ranger come to my house ( I live an hour away for the service center), He also replaced the blade--No help, so he stated he would return with a new arm. He did--No help. He stated its the best he could do. Back to the service center and I spoke with the manager. He stated that this is similar to other Tesla's and there is no fix-it was a "design issue" (although he was apologetic). Really? Is this what everyone else is experiencing? Thanks

2. lic2drl

lic2drl Member

I too have the same problem with the windshield wiper. Took delivery of model S at the end of Feb 2016.

3. byan1232

byan1232 Member

Oh I had that same problem! Delivery was 3/14/16. Took it to the service center and they replaced both blades. Seems to happen with a lot of cars.

4. traffic15

traffic15 Member

I took delivery in Mar 2016 and had the same concern. SC replaced the driver's wiper with a shorter blade and fixed the chatter (work order remarks below)..

upload_2016-5-1_22-2-24.png

5. Marcira

Marcira Member

Thanks--Did that solve your problem?

6. Marcira

Marcira Member

Thanks! Do you still get the same window coverage?

7. byan1232

byan1232 Member

Yeah it solved the problem.

8. CSFTN

CSFTN Member

I do think its a design flaw. There are ways to improve it, like an Bosch Icon blade (which seems to be softer but still more hydrophobic, so squeezes against the windshield less rigidly). There is an adjustment the service center can apply, but it doesn't work great.

I simply have developed the habit of manually activating the windshield wiper intermittently for mild - moderate rain, and letting it run for more severe rain.

9. L-P-G

L-P-G Member

What kind of wiper fluid are you using? I just took delivery of my S, it came without washer fluid so I put some in. I never had this issue until I sprayed the fluid the first time, from that day on same exact issue as you're having. I ended up cleaning the windshield with some dish soap to remove the RainX (the green kind) the fluid had in it and it helped but now i need to empty the whole container and probably use just water from now on.

10. BertL

BertL Active Member

OP, I had/have the same problem. Reported to my SC the first time I returned after delivery; they "tweaked" the arm, but my SA said while the problem would likely be better, it may not be completely resolved to my satisfaction. His comment to me was it was a known problem, and would likely take engineering one day (i.e. no ETA) to redesign the arm and/or blade.

I think it makes sense the driver's side arm/blade has a design flaw or the Tesla spec for rigidity of the blade itself is insufficient. The MS driver's side blade is extraordinarily long and with the blades Tesla has spec'd, IMHO are not stiff enough to cease all chattering, especially when cross-wind is at certain angles. Other threads have suggested replacing the blades yourself with a different Bosch version ( forget which one right now) that is stiffer and has helped some owners. I've not tried that and just put up with the bit of chatter -- as they say it's doesn't rain often here in Southern California, so it's not something I have to put up with often. I think there may be something to this whole blade thing ... my previous Lexus RX450h had a very long driver's side blade as well, but zero chatter in all conditions -- the big difference from my MS was their blades had an integrated metal strip on both sides of the lower part of the wiper blade that stiffened it significantly before sliding the blades back into the arm. BTW, I have encountered the same chatter with a virgin windshield, as well as with Aquapel applied (lasts longer than RainX).

FWIW, I frankly doubt this occasional annoyance is on Elon or Tesla's radar to resolve, so it's something I just live with. If it bothers me too much one day, I'll try purchasing my own stiffer alternate Bosch blades.