Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver's door interior panel separating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jlv1

Twice as much fun
Oct 14, 2015
Central MA
About 1 month after I got my new Model S in March, I noticed that the interior panel on the driver's door had separated from the door itself, as seen in this picture.
20170414_161521.png 20170414_161525.png

Has this happened to your car?

I've had this in for service 3 times now. Twice after fixing it and telling me the car was ready, I opened the driver door to find the panel already separated again (thus they've fixed it 5 times on 3 service appointments). Twice they've reported replacing all the clips that hold the panel on.

They've also implied this is my fault for pulling "too hard" on the door when I close it. However, after they last "fixed it" (and yet it was still separated) the service tech caused it to separate again by repeatedly opening and closing the door from the outside. (It was actually no fun seeing him manhandle the door like that).

They've now ordered a new interior panel for the door and the car will go back to service again when it comes in.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

I had this happen to my brand new Model S when I picked it up last November. They snapped it back in place, and it separated again in a few weeks. The second time around, they replaced all the clips, and it's stayed in place since.

About 1 month after I got my new Model S in March, I noticed that the interior panel on the driver's door had separated from the door itself, as seen in this picture.
View attachment 233245 View attachment 233246

Has this happened to your car? Same problem w my drivers door. Purchased tesla 12/2016. Been in for service twice now.

I've had this in for service 3 times now. Twice after fixing it and telling me the car was ready, I opened the driver door to find the panel already separated again (thus they've fixed it 5 times on 3 service appointments). Twice they've reported replacing all the clips that hold the panel on.

They've also implied this is my fault for pulling "too hard" on the door when I close it. However, after they last "fixed it" (and yet it was still separated) the service tech caused it to separate again by repeatedly opening and closing the door from the outside. (It was actually no fun seeing him manhandle the door like that).

They've now ordered a new interior panel for the door and the car will go back to service again when it comes in.

The replacement inside panel is now scheduled for install this Thursday. Tesla has been very accommodating, offering to do the install on site (home or work). I'll be happy if they just get it fixed correctly this time - I really hope the problem is just the panel.

Since I started this thread, an update. Replacing the driver door panel fixed the problem and it has never reoccurred. About a year later the passenger door panel showed the same problem. The SC replaced the clips on that door and the problem has not been seen again.

View attachment 233245 View attachment 233246

Has this happened to your car?

Yes. I bought my Tesla S in the fall of 2019. Yesterday I noticed some driver’s door panel separation. Is repair of this problem covered under the car’s warranty?
James R. Saxon