TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Driver's door interior panel separating

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jlv1, Jun 29, 2017.

1. jlv1

jlv1 Member

About 1 month after I got my new Model S in March, I noticed that the interior panel on the driver's door had separated from the door itself, as seen in this picture.
    20170414_161521.png 20170414_161525.png

Has this happened to your car?

I've had this in for service 3 times now. Twice after fixing it and telling me the car was ready, I opened the driver door to find the panel already separated again (thus they've fixed it 5 times on 3 service appointments). Twice they've reported replacing all the clips that hold the panel on.

They've also implied this is my fault for pulling "too hard" on the door when I close it. However, after they last "fixed it" (and yet it was still separated) the service tech caused it to separate again by repeatedly opening and closing the door from the outside. (It was actually no fun seeing him manhandle the door like that).

They've now ordered a new interior panel for the door and the car will go back to service again when it comes in.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

2. jlv1

jlv1 Member

FWIW, having it repairs 3 times for the same defect makes this car eligible under the Massachusetts Lemon Law.

3. randycandy

randycandy Member

I had this happen to my brand new Model S when I picked it up last November. They snapped it back in place, and it separated again in a few weeks. The second time around, they replaced all the clips, and it's stayed in place since.

4. alehbaba

alehbaba Member

i feel these are likely plenty of lemon law teslas but not many take the effort to go thru with it

5. drshan

drshan Active Member

6. drshan

drshan Active Member

Same issue for me. In for service twice so far. Bought model s 12/2017.

7. donguanella

donguanella Member

Same exact problem for my March build car, too.

8. clostridium

clostridium Member

I've had that with a rear door that hasn't had anyone closing from the inside since no one has sat in back in my car. Love my car but not super impressed with the various fit and finish issues like this cropping up.

9. jlv1

jlv1 Member

The replacement inside panel is now scheduled for install this Thursday. Tesla has been very accommodating, offering to do the install on site (home or work). I'll be happy if they just get it fixed correctly this time - I really hope the problem is just the panel.

10. johnbarkwell

johnbarkwell JB_SoCal

I have a late 2016 Model S with a similar problem. Drivers door has not separated but sounds loose when you touch it.

11. philgrocks

philgrocks Member

I had this problem as well on my delivery. I took it in and it has stayed in place for several weeks now. They must have a bad batch of clips!

12. stillandbox

stillandbox Member

Had this happen on my 2017. Took it in, SC repaired it. Happened again at the SC. I punched the took as hard as I could & it popped back into place. Never been an issue since.

I'm a bodybuilder & fairly strong, so I just think the car is afraid of me now

• Funny x 2