Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver's seat stuck at rearmost position... Tesla SC wants $2,650 parts + $539 labor to replace entire seat base

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My awesome 2015 Model S P85DL's driver’s seat base won’t move forward (stuck at rear position) making driving difficult for me to reach pedals (I’m 6’-3”). All other seat movements work fine: base will tilt & raise AND seat back reclines.

Rebooting my car using the steering wheel buttons and installing latest v12 (2024.14.8) software didn’t resolve issue.

Tesla Service Center diagnosed and said my ENTIRE Driver's Seat Base Assembly needs to be replaced with a:

US_LEFT HAND DRIVE-FRONT SEAT CUSHION-NEXT GEN-TAN-MEMORY-SEALED HARNESS (1056258-03-B)

$2,650.00 Parts
564.00 Labor

Obviously the CO$T is shocking... and I'm skeptical:
  • I need to buy the entire $2,650 Seat Base instead of just replacing just a broken gear or motor
  • the new tan NextGen seat bottom will match my 9-year old / 83,000 mile tan front AND rear NextGen seats
Questions:
  1. Where else in SoCal could I take my 2015 Model S to get a "2nd opinion" ?
  2. If Tesla installs the new tan seat base and it looks mismatched can my existing tan NextGen leather seat base COVER be removed from my existing base and installed on a new one ? Tesla SC said their technician didn't mow if it could be done... and wouldn't do it since its not in "their procedures"
Thanks!

Attachments

• tesla invoice driver's seat base replacement.pdf
    96.6 KB · Views: 18
There’s an Auto Upholstry guy I used in San Diego that was very comfortable working with the Tesla seats. But if you needed to put in new equipment versus fixing it, there might be an issue with programming.
You have EV – fix me in OC who could help out a lot with Programming and getting used parts. And there’s a guy down in East County San Diego that sells parts from salvaged Teslas.

• Love
Reactions: Tiger and BrokerDon
I don't think you have the seat calibration in the "service" menu on your year, but this is the first step I would take. Also, there is a seat controller that can be replaced. You probably will need Tesla to configure the replaced controller. We should be able to trust Tesla to diagnose the issue correctly, even though they only replace things. In this instance, it seems overkill unless the motor or something in the seat is bad. Very rarely does Tesla adjust or fix things, only replace.

Reactions: BrokerDon
Can't imagine you can't either,
1) find a used seat base for a few hundred bucks
2) find a used seat motor for a hundred bucks
3) remove the seat, disconnect the seat motor and move the seat to the proper position and reinstall
4) something under the seat isn't stuck preventing it from moving forward

EVFixMe is AWESOME !!!

My 2015 Model S P85D driver's seat base got stuck all the way back and wouldn't move forward. Tesla Costa Mesa Service Center diagnosed it and said the only solution was to buy an entire new seat base for $3,394.38 !!!

I took it to Tony at EVFixMe and he took 10 minutes to diagnose that it only needed a the motor / drive replaced, NOT an entire seat base... and had my Tesla fixed in 2 hours for $521.31 !!! This saved me $2,873.07 AND retained my existing driver's NextGen seat cover that Tesla said they had to replace AND wouldn't have matched my beautiful existing front & rear tan NextGen seats.

Thanks Tony and the Techs at EVFixMe !!!

a4a106d2-59bf-4036-9853-7a32e66467d2_template.png

1666 Superior Ave Unit A
Costa Mesa, CA 92627

+1 8333834963 TEXT and CELL

[email protected]

https://www.evfixme.com