Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving menu > creep vs hold settings...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In "creep mode", is the low-level acceleration always on at low speeds, or does it only turn on at low speeds when the brakes are not being pushed?

I don't understand why hold mode would be better for efficiency.

I don’t understand your question...

What “low-level acceleration”? Do you mean “Chill Mode“?

As far as I’m aware, Chill Mode (for acceleration) is not connected to which stopping mode (Hold, Creep, Roll) you choose...

I'm not sure I understand why hold mode would be more efficient either. When the vehicle is stopped with foot on the brake (or in hold mode, or by putting it temporarily in hold by a deep brake pedal push) there is no energy consumed by the motors.

I guess you could argue that when moving very slowly (which would be an extremely low percentage of normal driving) in creep mode you'd apply the brake while the motors are trying to push the car to go faster. But really I would think the energy wasted here is very minimal, it's not that the car tries to go 50 mph while using the brake to slow it down. And even in hold mode there would be a point where it transitions from powering the motors to applying the brake.

I don’t understand your question...

What “low-level acceleration”? Do you mean “Chill Mode“?

As far as I’m aware, Chill Mode (for acceleration) is not connected to which stopping mode (Hold, Creep, Roll) you choose...

By low level acceleration I meant to say the low speed throttle that is always on with "creep" mode.

I'm not sure I will ever trust reverse with "hold" mode. Accidentally over-doing the brakes in "creep" is a lot safer than accidentally over-doing throttle in "hold"

By low level acceleration I meant to say the low speed throttle that is always on with "creep" mode.

I'm not sure I will ever trust reverse with "hold" mode. Accidentally over-doing the brakes in "creep" is a lot safer than accidentally over-doing throttle in "hold"

It appears that you are a recent purchaser.

It takes a bit of acclimation, but most eventually find that “hold” is their preferred driving mode:

creep, roll, hold. What is your fav setting?

One pedal driving is such a revelation!

It takes a bit of acclimation, but most eventually find that “hold” is their preferred driving mode:
Anyone can use the mode they're happy with in my opinion.

As I've said in other threads, one of the reasons I use creep as that it's easier to back up into a garage or parking space. No risk of accidentally pushing the accelerator instead of the brake :) Also if you're driving other cars than Tesla it is usually the default behaviour.

And at traffic lights it's simple to activate brake hold by fully pressing the brake pedal.

Last edited:
Reactions: TMYToday
I'm also fairly new and have been trying different modes. I've been using standard braking and really like it but was screwing around with autopilot to see how it behaved at intersections and changed the braking setting to low and did not like it at all. It is like an ICE car with it set at low and not much regeneration. I also tried sport for the steering setting and do like that a lot. This is a work in progress. I look forward to autopilot improvements. If owners try the various options, I'm sure there will be a lot of varying preferences.

Give the "hold mode" a try for a week. I have found it to be very friendly and when at a stop on a hill it does not use the motor at all, just the brakes uphill or down. When I am ready to go just "lightly" press the throttle and start creeping, or romp on it, your choice. For parking use the light press method and when in position just hit the stalk for Park.
Love the "no brake days", the efficiency, linear throttle response all of the time with no lag, and the power when you ask for it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Electric Steve
Just like you have to learn to drive with max regen sport mode, you also have to learn to drive with hold mode. You can still make the car 'creep' when you want by gently depressing the accelerator.

Though the lack of 'hold' in my other cars doesn't freak me out, ironically my standard Subaru Impreza actually has 'hold' mode which makes hill starts too easy.

the difference between the max regeneration's ability to slow down the car versus engine braking in my other wimpy cars is always a surprise as I jump on the brake.

Just like you have to learn to drive with max regen sport mode, you also have to learn to drive with hold mode. You can still make the car 'creep' when you want by gently depressing the accelerator.

Though the lack of 'hold' in my other cars doesn't freak me out, ironically my standard Subaru Impreza actually has 'hold' mode which makes hill starts too easy.

the difference between the max regeneration's ability to slow down the car versus engine braking in my other wimpy cars is always a surprise as I jump on the brake.

My outback has 'hold' as well. Although the regen braking is much more severe, the outback has significantly more engine braking than the camry hybrid (even though it's regen'ing too). I do need to retrain as I switch cars to take my foot off the gas when approaching a light at the appropriate time. I expect the MY will be the same.

My own experience after over 5000 miles in hold mode I still find my foot going to the friction brake when I wonder if the regen is going to stop in time or if a car pulls out unexpectedly in front of me. I don't think hold mode erases the muscle memory from decades of driving ice cars. As far as worrying about pressing accelerator too hard once you have experience at feathering it with hold mode you find it very easy to slowly creep even a foot or two.

Anyone can use the mode they're happy with in my opinion.

As I've said in other threads, one of the reasons I use creep as that it's easier to back up into a garage or parking space. No risk of accidentally pushing the accelerator instead of the brake :) Also if you're driving other cars than Tesla it is usually the default behaviour.

And at traffic lights it's simple to activate brake hold by fully pressing the brake pedal.

I agree with you, use your preference. Many hold proponents seem almost like religious fanatics wrt this topic. Personally I've found like you that creep is more natural and fluid maneuvering at slow speeds, in and out of garage, etc. AND if you have a gasoline car, switching between cars is less of a change in the way it behaves at slow speeds. This might make all the difference. Somebody suggested a hybrid mode or an easier "one touch" way to switch between creep and hold modes without needing to put in park. That would be nice!

Does anybody know, is there an appreciable difference in energy efficiency between hold and creep modes over long periods of times? Effect on brake wear?

Reactions: TMYToday
I LOVE hold mode. Took me a little while to get used to it (and by a little while I mean like 2 days). Its so buttery smooth driving in this mode once you get used to how you use the accelerator pedal. I drive my wifes X5 sometimes, and it feels like a caveman car now to me. The lack of engine braking always reminds me I actually have to hit the damn brake (you know, like a caveman).

Hold mode for life

Reactions: Zcd1