Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving menu > creep vs hold settings...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with you, use your preference. Many hold proponents seem almost like religious fanatics wrt this topic. Personally I've found like you that creep is more natural and fluid maneuvering at slow speeds, in and out of garage, etc. AND if you have a gasoline car, switching between cars is less of a change in the way it behaves at slow speeds. This might make all the difference.

Yes.There are only two things I cannot stand in this world:

People who are intolerant of others personal preferences .... and people who don't use hold mode.

:D

I'm actually a super flexible guy. But seriously, hold mode is the future. There should be no way to change it. In fact they should leave creep and free roll there but have them grayed out so you can't select them.

;)

For those of you who have gotten used to Hold and who have other non-Tesla cars, do you have issues with muscle memory when you switch into regular ICE cars?
Not a big issue, but creep mode does make it a bit easier to switch to the gas powered vehicle, at least in my opinion. But not a big deal. A bigger deal ->, is there any appreciable difference in energy consumption/brake wear between hold and creep mode over long periods of time? So far, I have not found the answer.

Not a big issue, but creep mode does make it a bit easier to switch to the gas powered vehicle, at least in my opinion. But not a big deal. A bigger deal ->, is there any appreciable difference in energy consumption/brake wear between hold and creep mode over long periods of time? So far, I have not found the answer.

I was told that creep does not help powertrain longevity .....

Hold mode here, M3 and MY.

I have driven manuals my whole life and hate automatic creep. My wife however is an automatic only driver and prefers creep.

My Subaru Crosstrek PHEV creeps and I hate it. Muscle memory isn’t an issue bc of Hold, more bc I have mostly driven manual.

Creep is less efficient bc it always wants to move the car forward. So, while yes if your foot is on the brake and you are stopped it is probably the same, you will often see automatic drivers slowly creep as they impatiently wait for a light to change. Manual drivers just sit there patiently (or we rock, which would use gas).

Hold mode here, M3 and MY.

I have driven manuals my whole life and hate automatic creep. My wife however is an automatic only driver and prefers creep.

My Subaru Crosstrek PHEV creeps and I hate it. Muscle memory isn’t an issue bc of Hold, more bc I have mostly driven manual.

Creep is less efficient bc it always wants to move the car forward. So, while yes if your foot is on the brake and you are stopped it is probably the same, you will often see automatic drivers slowly creep as they impatiently wait for a light to change. Manual drivers just sit there patiently (or we rock, which would use gas).

I never understood creep. I finally went to an automatic when I got an Outback (only auto at least in the US). But either tranny, I keep my foot on the brake and go when the light changes. Maybe creep is a habit developed in commuter traffic?

I think I'll be at least trying hold. I have been using the parking brake and/or hold on hill at longer lights and taking my foot off the brake on the Outback. Being able to just press the gas pedal and have it release the brake is convenient and seems similar to hold. I tried both ways on a test drive and I think I liked hold better.

The feature I will need getting used to is the regen. My wife's Camry hybrid does not do anything like that unless you press the brake pedal. The Outback has a little more engine breaking when your foot is off the gas. I'm used taking my foot off way before a light or stop and found myself stopping way too soon on the test drive. But this one I have to get used to. I assume the milder regen isn't nearly as good at recapturing the energy.

Creep is less efficient bc it always wants to move the car forward.
Fully agreed for ICE vehicles due to the torque converter still trying to move the car even though you're stopped with the brakes applied, but IMHO not the case for EVs as in that situation no power would be applied to the motors until you release the brake. Much easier to do in an EV as compared to an ICE with automatic transmission (that would require a separate clutch, e.g. DSG gearboxes can do that).

Creep is constantly expending energy to keep a little torque on the wheels which your brake pedal is overcoming when you stop.

Hold uses regen to slow you down when you remove your foot from the accelerator — think of it like downshifting with benefits :)

Creep is constantly expending energy to keep a little torque on the wheels which your brake pedal is overcoming when you stop.

Hold uses regen to slow you down when you remove your foot from the accelerator — think of it like downshifting with benefits :)
It's hard to tell without knowing how they implemented it. but I would partially agree with this - as long is you haven't stopped, but have your foot on the brake, creep mode could indeed use more energy. I think it's not using much as you're already at a very low speed at this point, and in normal driving conditions you'd be doing this a very limited amount of time.

As in my post above, I would not expect any difference in energy consumption when you're stopped in either mode.