Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving overnight for Toronto to Florida trip via I-79... good or bad idea?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

Looking to get some feedback from any fellow Torontonians that have made the trip from Toronto to Florida via the Buffalo border to Erie down the I-79.
Planning to depart at 9pm from Toronto and am a bit concerned about possible encounters with Deer on the road overnight. I've done a similar drive but went through the Detroit border and never encountered any deer on those highways. Was wondering if anyone else did this same route doing an overnight drive?

The plan is to drive overnight and stop over at Brunswick, Georgia.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Why the worry about deer? You are probably more likely to get in a collision by falling asleep. You will only be driving in the dark for about 9 hours at most as the sun will be coming up around 6.

Do it many times a year. Biggest issue is some super chargers are tucked away and take a few minutes to find. Some are at a hotel behind a hotel. Once you are in Florida they are pretty much all in gas stations open 24/7. Best was 19 hours if you get the timing right you miss all rush hours. I try to get to Miami around sunrise.

• Informative
Reactions: Shaz
Do it many times a year. Biggest issue is some super chargers are tucked away and take a few minutes to find. Some are at a hotel behind a hotel. Once you are in Florida they are pretty much all in gas stations open 24/7. Best was 19 hours if you get the timing right you miss all rush hours. I try to get to Miami around sunrise.
I am curious, what would you say is the best timing for this trip? Or what timing do you use? (Leave in the morning? night? afternoon?).

Your car will see the deer well ahead of you. 👍

I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Set the car on Traffic Aware Cruise control and you'll be good
Car didn’t do squat regarding deer. Never beeped or anything. I was on AutoPilot. Drove straight into one in my 2019 Raven X. Have dash cam footage. Not pretty. Happened around 1-2AM. I did slam brakes and slowed a lot but not enough.

Yes, I would be worried.

• Informative
I am curious, what would you say is the best timing for this trip? Or what timing do you use? (Leave in the morning? night? afternoon?).
I’m a night person, I work 14 hour night shifts so I leave Toronto 4-5 am, sometimes if it’s after my night shift it’s 7:15 am. In the roadster it’s level 2 only so it’s a 3 day trip so it doesn’t matter when I leave. Sometimes I look to see how busy the charger is if there is one coming up, if it’s full I’ll pull over early. The car will recalculate the route. I try and keep it between 3-80% I like to drag the car in almost empty, hence why I warn of the ones tucked away in complex’s. Anything below 3% and it takes a while to ramp up the charge rate. Unlike a lot of owners I like the use of ABD,always be driving. As soon as I am ready to pull out I’m gone. I always check to see if there is a charger between my next stop just in case.

I should also warm you of the stretch that goes through Summersville, they have the richest police force funded by out of state plates being pulled over for speeding. You have been cautioned. They WILL ticket you, period. So stay calm through that stretch.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Autopilot will observe and try to protect you from kamikaze deer, but since they tend to dart onto the freeway from the bushes, you are still vulnerable. Odds are low to hit one, but the more you drive at night the higher your chances get.

In the daytime you will see red splotches all along the highway from deer strikes. Better to drive in daytime if possible.

• Informative