Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving Visualization Rear View

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently gave a friend a ride in my Model Y LR, and the thing she remarked on most strongly was the poor rear situational awareness provided by the visualization. Yes, I also want to know what is behind me (clue: that is why rear-view mirrors were an early invention). I think Tesla is missing the boat on this one.

If you are in Drive, why would you need to see cars behind you? That would take up screen space and make other cars around you smaller.

If you want to see behind you, turn on cameras.

I would like to know what is coming up behind me. I usually check my rear view mirror to see any approaching cars when i'm slowing or stopping at a light, with the idea of trying to get out of the way of a potential rear end colision. Sometimes, at night, cars stop behind me and I am unaware of their presence due to the high rear deck of the M3. I don't even see their headlights . More rear visualization would make me aware of their presence without constantly manually activating the rear camera. I consider situational awareness a plus at all times whether the issue is accident avoidance or criminals targeting expensive cars.

Reactions: kx2top