Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving Your Tesla in the Snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
imho southern uk just doesnt get cold enough to justify winter tires there.

What justification is needed for Winter tyres? Financial cost? A couple of hours twice a year getting them swapped? The additional cost of the tyres is offset by additional life of the summer tyres so no additional financial cost other than paying someone to swap the tyres over and/or storing them, or, for some, paying for an extra set of dedicated rims that can double up as an emergency spare. For us, with an additional set of rims, I recon having a set of winters to cover the life of the car will be around £800, so less than the cost of a minor scratch repair by a Tesla approved workshop and that's before any time, inconvenience and third party is factored into equation. I just think of it as an additional insurance policy - hopefully I will never need them, but will more than cover things if the need arises.

Last edited:
I just put some CrossClimate 2s on my Model 3. Living in Yorkshire it helps to deal with the chaos of other people heading out totally needlessly for a fun drive in the snow.

It's a £50,000 car, why on earth wouldn't you want it to be able to stop and steer in cold and wet conditions?
Hey, can you tell us how the CrossClimate2s effect range. I really like these tires for year round use, but have heard nothing as to how they effect on range. Also, remember that no matter what tires that you use, they will make no difference on ice.

Last edited:
Also, remember that no matter what tires that you use, they will make no difference on ice.

I've not tried the Cross Climates on ice, but proper winter tyres are actually pretty good. The thousands of extra small grooves present sharp edges to grip the ice as the tyre deforms.

It's obviously not infallible, though.

Hello all

This brief period of snowy weather has given me my first chance of driving my Tesla Mode 3 in the snow.

Having grown up in Maine USA where we regularly get 12 inches of snow in a single day, I’m pretty used to driving in frequent and deep snow. I admit I do sometimes roll my eyes at claims of snow in the U.K. as it rarely amounts to anything that should cause the level of chaos that happens.

But what’s your experience of snow driving in your Tesla? How’s the traction compared to other cars? Have you had to use ‘slip start’ to get unstuck?

Are there any Tesla specific issues or EV specific issues with driving in snow?

On my brief drive earlier, I noticed that regen breaking seemed to break traction on a downhill snowy section approaching a junction. I think I could have avoided this with pure friction breaks.

Also I did a ‘break test’ in a large empty snowy private car park and noticed that the ABS didn’t always keep me pointing straight and required some driver intervention to steer into the skid which I wasn’t expecting.

I think I’ve found the limits of traction on my Michelin Pilot Sport tyres. If I was in Maine USA I would have snow tyres on my car by this point in the year. I cant justify a separate set of wheels and tyres here for the infrequent U.K. snow. Not really a fan of snow chains either.

What are your Tesla snow driving experiences?

Show us a pic of your Tesla in the snow!
AE1930A1-5404-4CB2-B93B-C7DFD5520941.jpeg

What justification is needed for Winter tyres? Financial cost? A couple of hours twice a year getting them swapped? The additional cost of the tyres is offset by additional life of the summer tyres so no additional financial cost other than paying someone to swap the tyres over and/or storing them, or, for some, paying for an extra set of dedicated rims that can double up as an emergency spare. For us, with an additional set of rims, I recon having a set of winters to cover the life of the car will be around £800, so less than the cost of a minor scratch repair by a Tesla approved workshop and that's before any time, inconvenience and third party is factored into equation. I just think of it as an additional insurance policy - hopefully I will never need them, but will more than cover things if the need arises.

As per my post - i used to live in the UK (Cornwall & Brighton area) but drove a german car which usually had winter tires in winter on as those are compulsary in germany (for good reason).

The problem is that winter tires perform kinda poorly above 10C, and that really becomes a problem on long journeys where the tires warm up.
It feels like you are riding on really soft rubber and fuel consumption goes through the roof too and handling is poor They also dont last very long if its too warm. Where this really starts to affect you are these warm& sunny Marches the UK often gets or the sometimes warm Novembers/Decembers.

I am not saying winter tires arent worth it in the UK, I am just saying if used in the traditional manner from October - April they can actually cause problems in the south of the uk because it is just too warm some days of the year. It is almost December - but look at like Eastbourne which has a few days over 10C. Then look at my hometown in north Germany where its basically 3-4C max in the daytime. It is just not the same.

If you are going to get a second set in the UK I would get winter-approved all seasons. At least in the South. I.e. Scotland is a completely different matter which shouldnt be left to the individual imho but apparently most people in Scotland are sensible enough to switch to Winter tires anyway.

The problem is that winter tires perform kinda poorly above 10C, and that really becomes a problem on long journeys where the tires warm up.
It feels like you are riding on really soft rubber and fuel consumption goes through the roof too and handling is poor They also dont last very long if its too warm. Where this really starts to affect you are these warm& sunny Marches the UK often gets or the sometimes warm Novembers/Decembers.

No issues at all with our Winters performance or wear including when temperatures soared well into the 20’s for a few days whilst we were on a break.

We normally change some time during Nov and April (I keep a watch on temperatures for following weeks drives - morning drive is most significant) and tyres are in great condition now in to their third season. No evidence that they are wearing any worse than our summers - If anything they are wearing less although difficult to tell as tread patterns are very different - lots of deep tread pattern remaining on the winters unlike the summers. And never had any situation where I have found them to be anywhere close to their limit even on a couple of very hot days.

But this isn’t Cornwall or Brighton which is a bit warmer than 40 miles further north where we are. Currently below freezing here and tomorrow’s drives will be just above and below too but the winters will remain nice and compliant unlike the summers which you can feel are different an cooler mornings on the twisty roads around here. There is a months overlap where one will be better than the other and vice versa, but I tend to head to winters sooner and come off them a bit later as they handle the warmer days without noticeable detrimental effect better than the summers handle the colder snaps especially when accompanied by damp.

Everyone’s circumstances will differ but I know what tyres I prefer to be on this time of year even if there isn’t an exact right time to swap.

1638083774427.jpeg

As per my post - i used to live in the UK (Cornwall & Brighton area) but drove a german car which usually had winter tires in winter on as those are compulsary in germany (for good reason).

I am not saying winter tires arent worth it in the UK, I am just saying if used in the traditional manner from October - April they can actually cause problems in the south of the uk because it is just too warm some days of the year. It is almost December - but look at like Eastbourne which has a few days over 10C. Then look at my hometown in north Germany where its basically 3-4C max in the daytime. It is just not the same.

If you are going to get a second set in the UK I would get winter-approved all seasons. At least in the South. I.e. Scotland is a completely different matter which shouldnt be left to the individual imho but apparently most people in Scotland are sensible enough to switch to Winter tires anyway.
Things have moved on in recent years and there are now some very good high performance winter tyres being made which perform very well in warmer weather. They will never be as good in summer as a tyre such as the PS4S but they aren't as bad as you're suggesting, which may be based on older tyre technology. Specifically which winter tyres do you have experience of?

Very location dependent in the UK. Minus 3 and lots of snow in The Peak District this weekend.
F3F27BCA-9AB7-49C3-ADCD-37E470A3B71A.jpeg