Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dropping $973.36 for a new charge port tomorrow.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$1000 for a charge port is ridiculous, if it were $400 you would see less complaining.
A timing belt might cost that or more to replace but those are a published maintenance interval up front and actually takes some effort to replace.

I would be surprised if it takes 30minutes to change a charge port.
As a point of reference, a Chevy Bolt charge port is under $300. The added complexity of the locking mechanism and increased current capacity of the Tesla part would justify a higher price but $1,000 does seem extreme.

Incidentally, I see several Model S charge ports listed on eBay for ~$100.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: geometro
As a point of reference, a Chevy Bolt charge port is under $300. The added complexity of the locking mechanism and increased current capacity of the Tesla part would justify a higher price but $1,000 does seem extreme.

Incidentally ,I see several Model S charge ports listed on eBay for ~$100.

Except you can't just drop in a new charge port, it needs to be signed and loaded to the system via the Tesla Tookbox or a stop @ HSRMotors with @wk057

I feel for the OP, and I'd much rather this didn't happen. However, parts do fail on any car, regardless of price point or other marketing, and they cost money. Granted, this is an expensive repair, but it happens.

I know I'm swinging at the tar baby for saying it, but I have yet to understand why so many Tesla owners believe that Tesla should, essentially, maintain a silent, lifetime warranty on every part of every car out of "goodwill" or what-not. If I'm out of warranty on an ICE car when the fuel pump goes out and I'm "stranded" somewhere, I don't go looking for a free fuel pump replacement. I don't go huffing about whether I should carry around an extra fuel pump or that the entire fuel system should be so overengineered that it never would fail. I certainly might cuss a good bit, but I go get a new fuel pump put in, pay the bill, and drive on.

I understand the complaint about the price. A grand does seem pretty stiff, although I really do not have the slightest idea as to what is involved in changing out the charge port.

The part failing and costing an arm and three legs to replace (with a new one, better, tighter contacts that carries a year of warranty, etc) rather sux, but it happens. The service advisor giving you a hard time instead of compassion though is inexcusable. It costs nothing to be nice to people, especially those that feed you. That goes both ways.

Reactions: geometro
The part failing and costing an arm and three legs to replace (with a new one, better, tighter contacts that carries a year of warranty, etc) rather sux, but it happens. The service advisor giving you a hard time instead of compassion though is inexcusable. It costs nothing to be nice to people, especially those that feed you. That goes both ways.
I agree that it costs nothing to be nice to people. However that goes both ways. It "sounds" to me like the OP is probably the one who instigated the rudeness. He came in angry about his stranded family and expected Tesla to fix it immediately for free.
We are also hearing one side of the story. I'd bet the service advisor just might tell it differently.
-Jim

I just mean for theoretical salvaging of the damaged mechanical parts. If it's an electrical problem then obviously that's not going to work.

No, nothing to do with electrical, this is a Tesla thing, they cryptographically sign parts and assign them to the car, and you can't just drop in a new part ( at least not some of them ), Charge port is one of those parts I believe along with the drive units, CID, APE etc. Maybe @wk057 will share some additional light on this, I only know enough to be dangerous.

My 2015 S70D has been practically flawless. At 44k miles I’m debating whether or not to buy the ESA. With my 2013 I swore I’d never own a Tesla without a warranty. I truly believe the quality/reliability improved drastically sometime in 2014.
Agree completely. Also have a 2015 S70D and nothing but minor glitches when new. Almost 60K now and didn't get the ESA mostly due to this history.
We have started using contact cleaner spray and Q-tips to maintain the pins, and that has seemed to help.
In an attempt to stay away from the expensive service center, it's about time for me to start figuring out the best processes and products and start performing regular preventative maintenance like this, particularly on moving parts. Anything that moves like the sunroof, door handles, charge port door and pins, doors, trunk and frunk hinges, latches, etc.

Reactions: JPUConn
IMG_0171.JPG
I have had my 2013 CPO p85 for just over two years and it is the best car ever in 43 years of car buying. Been to service once for a battery. Going in two weeks for airbag recall and to get avatar changed to reflect the new spiders. Love, Love, Love this car!

Incidentally, I see several Model S charge ports listed on eBay for ~$100.

and Chevrolet is likely making as buck as is the dealer. I know folks who have worked in dealership parts departments and markup is often 100%.

Even including the software updates and heavier duty parts $1000 is excessive.

I think Tesla does a fair amount of good will work and those who endup paying for repairs are more directly paying for that rather than corporate coffers.

I am not bashing, just stating. It is also a fact that when catering to a "rich" crowd and no real aftermarket service alternative, prices can be inflated. Cars are not what I do for a living but my employer caters to rich folks and "brand equity" is a meaningful part of pricing.

Be interesting to see what Tesla does as more MS and MX fall into the hands of more average income Americans and the M3 is out in numbers beyond warranty..........

FWIW no way I could buy one of these new, I paid under $50k for a 2014 P85 because was "high mileage", I did so understanding I would have to leave the state for a service center and that parts wouldn't be cheap, I accept that even if I don't agree with specific examples.

Reactions: emlombardo
The old style charge ports (not self-closing) used decent sized solenoids for both the opening magnet and the latch. The latch definitely seemed to me like it would be prone to failure, but I've not actually seen many fail.

In any case, next time you need a charge port (hopefully never), drop me a line. I can sell you a plug-and-play replacement given your VIN and FW version (it needs to be programmed either in the car, like Tesla does, or before install to match, which is what I usually do with these kinds of things). And it'd be way less than $973... :eek:

Still on my original charge port (119k miles). Port door replaced early due to the metal button detached - common issue then.
I did not get the ESA, worked out great for me.

However I did clean up my brakes myself, when Tesla wanted about $3000 to just replace everything.
Also about $3300 for half-shafts and hubs (worn splines?), which they covered half under goodwill.
So if I didn't do any work myself, the ESA would likely have worked out better; but not my much.

• Informative
Reactions: nwdiver and SMAlset
The old style charge ports (not self-closing) used decent sized solenoids for both the opening magnet and the latch. The latch definitely seemed to me like it would be prone to failure, but I've not actually seen many fail.

In any case, next time you need a charge port (hopefully never), drop me a line. I can sell you a plug-and-play replacement given your VIN and FW version (it needs to be programmed either in the car, like Tesla does, or before install to match, which is what I usually do with these kinds of things). And it'd be way less than $973... :eek:

I wonder if you could start a thread where you could list things like this so when people have out of warranty issues, they have a place to look to see if you have a solution.

The “Teslas have less moving parts will need less maintenance” “ICE have hundreds of moving parts! So many failure points!” was a well designed marketing prompt. Although it does not hold true in reality.

My Model S has needed way more repairs and service center visits than any other car I ever owned.

I believe the whole less moving parts holds true the only problem is Tesla has next to no quality control at the factory as the guy who tore down the M3 said he hasn't seen such bad fit and finish since 90s kias. Base on my experience of owning a 2017 Model s for 3 months I believe it. Tesla better get their act together before Toyota gets full behind EVs

Reactions: dennisvab
In any case, next time you need a charge port (hopefully never), drop me a line. I can sell you a plug-and-play replacement given your VIN and FW version (it needs to be programmed either in the car, like Tesla does, or before install to match, which is what I usually do with these kinds of things).

Super good to know. Been to your site but did not know that you have extended your offering of parts and services to this level.

I feel for the OP, and I'd much rather this didn't happen. However, parts do fail on any car, regardless of price point or other marketing, and they cost money. Granted, this is an expensive repair, but it happens.

I know I'm swinging at the tar baby for saying it, but I have yet to understand why so many Tesla owners believe that Tesla should, essentially, maintain a silent, lifetime warranty on every part of every car out of "goodwill" or what-not. If I'm out of warranty on an ICE car when the fuel pump goes out and I'm "stranded" somewhere, I don't go looking for a free fuel pump replacement. I don't go huffing about whether I should carry around an extra fuel pump or that the entire fuel system should be so overengineered that it never would fail. I certainly might cuss a good bit, but I go get a new fuel pump put in, pay the bill, and drive on.

I understand the complaint about the price. A grand does seem pretty stiff, although I really do not have the slightest idea as to what is involved in changing out the charge port.

It's all about revisions. If the part hasn't changed then we aren't expecting that. But if there was a TSB and a silent part revision and others got a part upgraded for free we kind of expect that to carry over to anyone with that part.

We don't know all the internal part numbers or document numbers that Tesla knows so the first line of defense for a end user / customer is to ask.

After reading all the threads about part revisions and part replacements for 2012 and 2013 Model S. I'd expect anything in that time frame to be fair game to ask for consideration (either totally free or reduced cost at some fraction/percentage that Tesla thinks reflects the issue with the unrevised part).

Now if a 2015 Model S gets to the point that it's out of warranty I'm not going to be so likely to talk about part revisions. By the time the D came out and Autopilot was common they'd worked through most of the parts issues on the Model S and had moved onto parts issues for the Model X.

Super good to know. Been to your site but did not know that you have extended your offering of parts and services to this level.

I think his parts and services were up to that level before there was a website. Click on his user profile and look at some of his oldest threads (look for the ones with hundreds of pages) and you'll find he's been at that level of technical detail for many years now.

The “Teslas have less moving parts will need less maintenance” “ICE have hundreds of moving parts! So many failure points!” was a well designed marketing prompt. Although it does not hold true in reality.

My Model S has needed way more repairs and service center visits than any other car I ever owned.
Exactly most problems people with German luxury sedans have are not 'bad engine' ...its the little electrical things like Sunroof, windows, seals, seat heaters etc. Not usually the big stuff.

Weirdly tesla wants something like $500/year to service this 'simple car with few moving parts. That makes no sense to me.