Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drove it like an ICE the other day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Left late from Florida for home (425 miles) and I didn’t want to arrive home in the wee hours so I drove my Y hard - like an ICE - at 80-85 mph with total disregard for economy and efficiency. I averaged 350 wh/mi during the mad dash home.

.... I drive both my model 3 and Y just like I drove my ICE BMWs, with no regard for economy or efficiency... I just drive them. The regular freeway speeds here when there is space to do so is 80-85 MPH (speed limit is 70 but no one drives that) on many freeways.

These are cars, not Faberge eggs or something, they should be driven just like anyone drove any other car they had, not just in a mad dash somewhere, but basically all the time.

I find that on the highway, I drive faster than ICE. More power, more acceleration and since there are no RPMs, I quickly lose track of how fast I'm going. This is probably because all my ICE cars are manuals too.

I generally drive 80-85mph on interstates, and I find I get lower mileage -- about 300+ W/mi vs 250 in town. More air resistance at high speeds, and almost no regen braking.

I'm leaving on a 2500mi trip next week, and I plan to try driving at the speed limit for a change. See if 75mph makes much difference.

I generally drive 80-85mph on interstates, and I find I get lower mileage -- about 300+ W/mi vs 250 in town. More air resistance at high speeds, and almost no regen braking.

I'm leaving on a 2500mi trip next week, and I plan to try driving at the speed limit for a change. See if 75mph makes much difference.

Slowing down improves range the vehicle can drive, but doesnt necessarily improve the time it takes to get there. In very general terms (very very general) it tends to be faster overall to drive as fast as you can (conditions, speed limits, etc) and charge more often, than drive slower, and get more range.

If there is a large gap between chargers that you are not sure of making, then its different.

Again, over generalizing here but thats "in general"

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Good luck with that. I'm at 44k miles, and I haven't YET been able to drive anywhere near the speed limit.

When I first got the M3 I was trying to drive it efficiently, but quickly just began driving it how I wanted, which is in 'fun' mode. It is so quick and effortless and since I have solar at home, I have a sense that charging it is not really a big deal. I have yet to road trip it. I'm sure there will be a learning curve or maybe a confidence curve on doing long distances. But I never miss my ICE car.

My wife and two adult kids, who rarely ride in my MY, always remark on how "aggressive" I drive in the Tesla. I honestly don't notice it, as I'm accustomed to the silent instant torque, the seamless one-pedal driving. I THINK I'm driving efficiently, as I never enjoy abusing any vehicle with sudden g-forces.
Lifetime average 296Wh/mi. Can't seem to get it lower.

Reactions: jpfive
I'm back from my 2400mi trip. I managed to stay a bit closer to the speed limit this time (honest, @Pianewman!) and it DID make a difference.
* Around town I usually get about 250 Wh/m
* Last fall, driving about 85mph most of the 2000mi round trip, I averaged 340 Wh/m
* Last week, driving about 80, I got 290 Wh/m

So maybe I could have done even better at 75.

After last fall's trip I whined about the auto high-beams. I think I said they were something between "incompetent" and "dangerous," considering how phasers-on-stun freakin' BRIGHT the high-beams are. They'd constantly flash oncoming cars hi-lo-hi-lo-hi-lo, they'd stay on when following until I was way too close, etc. Well they've been busy back at the lab. I only did about 5 hours of night-time driving this week, but I would say the auto high-beams were very nearly 100% perfect. Bravo to the high-beam team! Now if they'd do the same for the terrible navigation and a few other issues...

But BOY do I love the Autopilot. It still has plenty of problems, but how did I ever survive 900-mile days driving "by hand" ??

My lifetime after 26k is about 320 kWh if I baby it around town I can get it below 240 but that isn't any fun. Same with my gas cars, I have a v8 Lexus that can rip but at 90 MPH it's getting like 8 MPG on a 18 gallon tank I can only go 140 or so miles between fuel stops, even at 320-350 kWh you can go 180-200 or so miles, charge up and hit the road again charge stops obviously take a bit longer but I really don't find a huge increase in travel time, Detroit to Boston took one extra hour after 6 stops if we're being realistic about food, bathroom, and stretch breaks.

When I saw the thread title I thought it has something to do with turning off regen. I've been teaching my daughter to drive and recently started letting her drive my MYP. However, I wanted her to be used to driving ICE cars as I feel like that's what she'll be driving in the foreseeable future (she'll be taking her older sister's Subaru Impreza), so I set her stopping profile to "Creep" mode and used S3XY buttons to turn off regen completely. This way the car more or less drives like an ICE.

I've noticed that setup this way, with my daughter driving in Chill Mode, the consumption seems to be around 320~350Wh/Mi. Quite a bit higher than when regen is on and me as the driver in Sport Mode (in the 290Wh/Mi range).

When I had my 20" wheels and PS4S, I would average around 340 wh/mile. I actually averaged this for 20k miles...with an M3P! I went through my 2nd set of tires with only 11k miles on them :D

I drive this car waaaaay faster than my previous cars as there is no mechanical sympathy for this car. No hard shifts or high revving engines...just gets to whatever speed I want in a furious push. I've since gone down to around 300 wh/mi with 18" wheels but i regulary average 375 wh/mi on highway after work if there is no traffic 😁

I don't really care what speed I drive at (I mean as far as efficiency is concerned). If I go to the office it's 80 miles round trip, so I do it quite often at 80 plus (when I can), then I plug it in when I get home

If I was doing a long drive, then sure, I'd probably be a little more circumspect