TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Dual Chargers for Benelux?

Discussion in 'Belgium and the Netherlands' started by Lycanthrope, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope Member

Hi Folks

What's the general consensus on fitting dual chargers on NL/BE? Would it be advantageous in your opinion, or more a waste of money?

By this, is there an infrastructure in place that the Tesla could take advantage of?

Cheers, Dave

2. JoeNe

JoeNe EU P 1662

I have dual chargers. I'm happy with them, but I think that soon they will become obsolete when DC chargers start spreading out.
    But for now it's a joy to charge at 22kW if your battery is running low.

So in this early adopter's fase the dual charger is an advantage.

3. Dylan

Dylan Member

I charged at a BlueCorner outlet in Antwerp this weekend, which was 3x32A. It was the first time I had use for the twin chargers, but then again I only have the car for a week :)

4. Highkick

Highkick Grinning SRV-man

I have not opted for the dual chargers, as I charge each day at home. Even with single phase, I can manage. So with 3-phase (13 amps, when the adapter becomes available), it should be fine in all cases (let's hope). For now I am happy with my choice, especially knowing the plans of fastned, and the chademo adapter that is coming out soon(?), see http://shop.teslamotors.com/products/chademo-adapter.

5. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope Member

Chademo, that's DC isn't it, so bypasses the chargers??

It's a bit of a minefield...

6. Rutger

Rutger Member

I think faster charging is mainly relevant if you do a lot of long distance traveling. I haven't twin chargers, since I almost never drive more then 300 km a day. If you do, it might be a good idea. And if so, you have two options:

- duo chargers
    - Chademo adapter
    (or both)

Last one is faster, but less common I think. Certainly is doesn't seem to be the standard for the future. You can check the various websites like
    http://openchargemap.org/site/ , http://www.oplaadpalen.nl/ or others to see what amount of both chargers is available in your region.

7. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

Correct, CHAdeMO is DC and bypassess the internal chargers.

I've taken the Dual Chargers since I still see a use-case where 22kW would be useful during "destination" charging.

At home I charge with 3x32A as well, so I needed the dual chargers to do so.

8. Highkick

Highkick Grinning SRV-man

This is how I approached it.... if my needs change, I can always add the 2nd charger later (at a greater cost of course).... for now my set-up will suffice..

9. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope Member

Well I don't travel much and when I do even a 5 hour charge would be no good, I'd need an SC. In those cases I'll borrow the wife's ICE.

Vacations pose a problem until there's an SC network, will hire a Sharan if necessary...

10. martinve

martinve Active Member

I took the dual chargers.
    Reason for me is that my driving route could change every few months. In that case I wanted to have the possibility to charge at a faster rate.
    I doubt that I will ever use the CHAdeMO adapter as the 70-80Km/u charge would be enough for the trips in between. If i need a faster charging method I'm probably going to use the SC system.

Driving at least 150km daily with only 8 hours of charging time, indirectly forced me to opt for twin chargers.

I'm happy with my choice.

11. Daniel 74

Daniel 74 Active Member

I Have the single charger. At home I don't need to charge faster than 3x16A, on route the chademo adapter seems a better (and cheaper) option.

12. jm71

jm71 Member

Yes, being able to charge at 11kw at home wil be sufficient in most of the cases. And yes, a SC or Chademo will bypass the dual charger.
    But the day you will be happy to be able to charge 100km/h instead of 50km/h at a location will come sooner or later.
    I'd say: better safe than sorry, take the dual charger unless you really can't afford the investment.

13. S-19910

S-19910 Driving Model-S #19910

+1. In my case : it was much sooner than thought. that's why I 'm happy I've added the 2nd charger.

14. Z1970

Z1970 Tezla has arrived

I don't approach this very logically. I just want the car with all the specs (ok, no P, but that is for my own safety). So of course I want 22kw, and I got myself a 22kw charging station with that ;)