Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Chargers for Benelux?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks

What's the general consensus on fitting dual chargers on NL/BE? Would it be advantageous in your opinion, or more a waste of money?

By this, is there an infrastructure in place that the Tesla could take advantage of?

Cheers, Dave

I have dual chargers. I'm happy with them, but I think that soon they will become obsolete when DC chargers start spreading out.
But for now it's a joy to charge at 22kW if your battery is running low.

So in this early adopter's fase the dual charger is an advantage.

What's the general consensus on fitting dual chargers on NL/BE? Would it be advantageous in your opinion, or more a waste of money

I have not opted for the dual chargers, as I charge each day at home. Even with single phase, I can manage. So with 3-phase (13 amps, when the adapter becomes available), it should be fine in all cases (let's hope). For now I am happy with my choice, especially knowing the plans of fastned, and the chademo adapter that is coming out soon(?), see http://shop.teslamotors.com/products/chademo-adapter.

I think faster charging is mainly relevant if you do a lot of long distance traveling. I haven't twin chargers, since I almost never drive more then 300 km a day. If you do, it might be a good idea. And if so, you have two options:

- duo chargers
- Chademo adapter
(or both)

Last one is faster, but less common I think. Certainly is doesn't seem to be the standard for the future. You can check the various websites like
http://openchargemap.org/site/ , http://www.oplaadpalen.nl/ or others to see what amount of both chargers is available in your region.

Chademo, that's DC isn't it, so bypasses the chargers??

It's a bit of a minefield...
Correct, CHAdeMO is DC and bypassess the internal chargers.

I've taken the Dual Chargers since I still see a use-case where 22kW would be useful during "destination" charging.

At home I charge with 3x32A as well, so I needed the dual chargers to do so.

I took the dual chargers.
Reason for me is that my driving route could change every few months. In that case I wanted to have the possibility to charge at a faster rate.
I doubt that I will ever use the CHAdeMO adapter as the 70-80Km/u charge would be enough for the trips in between. If i need a faster charging method I'm probably going to use the SC system.

Driving at least 150km daily with only 8 hours of charging time, indirectly forced me to opt for twin chargers.

I'm happy with my choice.

Yes, being able to charge at 11kw at home wil be sufficient in most of the cases. And yes, a SC or Chademo will bypass the dual charger.
But the day you will be happy to be able to charge 100km/h instead of 50km/h at a location will come sooner or later.
I'd say: better safe than sorry, take the dual charger unless you really can't afford the investment.

Yes, being able to charge at 11kw at home wil be sufficient in most of the cases. And yes, a SC or Chademo will bypass the dual charger.
But the day you will be happy to be able to charge 100km/h instead of 50km/h at a location will come sooner or later.
I'd say: better safe than sorry, take the dual charger unless you really can't afford the investment.

+1. In my case : it was much sooner than thought. that's why I 'm happy I've added the 2nd charger.

I don't approach this very logically. I just want the car with all the specs (ok, no P, but that is for my own safety). So of course I want 22kw, and I got myself a 22kw charging station with that ;)