Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Motor Retrofit for newer models

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is only a theoretical question - I have searched and only found discussions for older models.

Is it possible to retrofit a dual motor setup on a newer model? I would think the rear motor would be easy to swap out, but the front motor would have significantly more things changed to make it fairly expensive.

This is only a theoretical question - I have searched and only found discussions for older models.

Is it possible to retrofit a dual motor setup on a newer model? I would think the rear motor would be easy to swap out, but the front motor would have significantly more things changed to make it fairly expensive.
It's called a trade-in.

If it's cost prohibitive to retrofit non-AP cars to AP, I think the same can be said for single motor to dual motor.

Single motor cars have massive octagonal crash beams under the frunk which block the front drive shafts.

You'd have to make major changes to the structure of the car. Not practical.

Is that still true of the refreshed Model S where the Frunk is the small one even in the RWD version?

Sadly, yes. This is actually due to the HEPA filter and not the front motor (or at least some combination of the two), as you can see in this video. They probably wanted to standardize the size for streamlining reasons as well. This is one of the only things that really bummed me out when ordering mine a month ago.