Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lots of questions about the new base Model Y coming out of Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this vehicle different than the 279 mile model Y that was being sold by invitation only, and discussed here previously in threads?

Is this vehicle different than the 279 mile model Y that was being sold by invitation only, and discussed here previously in threads?

It's now the base Model Y and it does seem identical. 51k dollars.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
How do you like it? Thinking of helping out our son who is vehicle challenged so that the can join the Tesla family and that looks pretty attractive!
This brings me as a newbie too. I just need to round up and crash Tesla 101 class to understand its model Y chassis origins. So much to learn, but my car is doing well so far. Driven 2167 miles. The only thing I noticed is that when gently depressing the acceleration pedal does some clicks to feel I assume it’s normal as it is without transmission.

This brings me as a newbie too. I just need to round up and crash Tesla 101 class to understand its model Y chassis origins. So much to learn, but my car is doing well so far. Driven 2167 miles. The only thing I noticed is that when gently depressing the acceleration pedal does some clicks to feel I assume it’s normal as it is without transmission.
Not entirely sure what you're describing. There should be no clicks when you are gently depressing the accelerator pedal. It's possible there's a loose linkage. I would run it by Tesla service.

Here is a superb deep dive by the Limiting Factor on the new generation structural battery packs. Tesla's 4680 pack comes out in front by a hair. Or as Gordon would say there's not much separating these approaches but Tesla may have more development possibilities but also challenges to realize the full potential of the 4680 structural battery pack. Its biggest advantage may be its in-house nature and thus significantly cheaper per car and per kilowatt hour

The producer of that video was deeply fooled by the Tessie app’s term usable.

Not good!

Tessie should start using terms that people understand correctly, and also get their battery starting values correct.

A lot of the calculations in the video is wrong due to the missunderstanding of the values tessie show.
Could you reference where in the video you see these errors? And a bit more specifically what the errors are?

Could you reference where in the video you see these errors? And a bit more specifically what the errors are?

In the video the reference from Tessie for usable capacity is used to show net capacity.
The ”usable capacity” that is shown is not really the ”usable” capacity.
So all calculations that was buikt on the Tessie ”usable capacity” is not correct.

Tessie shows the ”original capacity” in the graphic meter, and this is including the buffer, but in many cases a much lower value is shown than the value the BMS reports as full pack when new / specified original capacity.
In most cases, knowing the real value for full pack when new we can se that that value is too low if we refer to the

The lower value, ”usable capacity” includes the buffer as well.
Tessie calculates the capacity by using the ”added energy” that the car reports, this inculdes the buffer as the tesla numbers is configured.

One example:
C25E2C6F-EDEA-409E-A3EF-C4468E78EDD8.png

This guy get his original capacity on his 2021 M3P reported as 78.8kWh.
The battery is a 82.1kWh battery. Most often the BMS reports the initial value ss sepubd 80.5 kWh and the energy needed to complete the EPA-range at the given consumption is 80.7kWh.
The initial battery capacity should be put as either 82.1kWh or 80.7kWh.
Tessie put it as 78.8kWh which is much lower than the real ”should be” value.

The car reports a ”usable capacity” of 76.5kWh. This is in fact the total capacity of the battery at this point (or about it, due to the way Tessie calculates it).
As Tesla/model 3 use a 4.5% buffer, the ”usable capacity” as we normally use the term usable is 0.955x the total capacity.

In this case, the M3P owner thinks 78.8kWh is the net capacity ”when new” (which is not correct) and he also believe his usable capacity is 76.5 kWh, which also is mot correct as the usable capacity (above 0% displayed) is 76.5x0.955= 73kWh.

Some information about this is found here:
Vendor - Official Tessie app talk

It does not cover it all though.

The 4680 battery MYAWD (or just Model Y on tesla.com's order page) will typically come with the lower performing 3D5/990 motor, whereas the MYLR and MYP vehicles typically get the 3D1/980 or newer 4D1 hairpin motors. This is probably why the 0-60 times are a bit slower versus the MYLR (and why it may not be eligible for Tesla's Acceleration Boost on Ingenext Ghost upgrades).

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
The 4680 battery MYAWD (or just Model Y on tesla.com's order page) will typically come with the lower performing 3D5/990 motor, whereas the MYLR and MYP vehicles typically get the 3D1/980 or newer 4D1 hairpin motors. This is probably why the 0-60 times are a bit slower versus the MYLR (and why it may not be eligible for Tesla's Acceleration Boost on Ingenext Ghost upgrades).

so it's just one 3D5/990 motor on the MYAWD?

Last edited:
I'm a bit shocked by the confirmation that the difference between the base Model Y and the other DM model Y with a 2170 cells is only 20 lb. I thought or at least was led to believe that the use of gigacastings would save about 50 to 100 lb each and the structural battery pack another 100 lb. Additionally, because the pack in the base Model Y is smaller in terms of kilowatt hours I would have expected more weight loss there too. Wondering why none of these weight savings materialized?

The following article shows the 4680 edition's weight being 178lbs lighter than the 2170 LR -->

Reactions: vickh
The following article shows the 4680 edition's weight being 178lbs lighter than the 2170 LR -->

You can’t compare weight listed on a website to a random scale weight which may not be calibrated correctly.

Previously a 2170 LR and 4680 were weighed on a scale back to back on the same scale which is a more useful comparison and the difference was 20lbs.

any differences to charging to 100%. all the time I can do that with SR 3 since it's software lock
If I recall correctly, back when there was a Model S that was software-locked, the charge screen didn't have the "daily/trip" markers. If the 4680 still shows the daily vs trip, it is probably not software locked....unless they are just playing the game and trying to keep the secret.