TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Dulles Airport EV Charging

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by carrerascott, Nov 24, 2013.

1. bhzmark

bhzmark Supporting Member

There are a few new chargers just as you drive in to garage 2 on level 1 to the right. Well designed where one charger serves 6 spaces and there is a wall plugs at each charger too for trickle charge.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  2. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

@bhzmark - Great, thanks for the info. So do you mean one cable serves 6 spaces or one charger with 6 cables coming out of it? Anyway, great to hear they're adding more stuff!

3. bhzmark

One long cable on a pillar that is within reach of the 6 spaces or so around the pillar — on either side. Very good layout allowing people to unplug when they see that there is no charging. I didn’t check, but hopefully there is a light on the charger indicating charging.

4. bhzmark

Also good design that the spaces are about as far (north end of level 1) from the walkway (south end of level 3) as possible so unlikely to be iced. Including iced by the jackass teslas that don't (need to) charge but take up EV spaces anyway to be a few seconds closer to the walkway to airport.

• Like x 1
  5. kaczmarczyk

kaczmarczyk Member

Just wanted to thank everyone for this info and bump this thread for others...though maybe we should keep this a secret ;)

As others have said, this is an excellent set up. ClipperCreek chargers accessible from several spots due to being on columns and long charging cords. The chargers do show if they are actively charging or not via a lighted indicator on the charger unit. Also, the elevator to the 3rd floor to access the walkway is right next to these. There is no cost (except daily parking rates of course) to use these chargers btw.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I park at IAD every other week and almost never find an open charging spot, the info on the additional chargers in Garage 2 is great and prompted me to look at the Dulles map....SURPRISE!! There's now additional EV charging on Garage 1 also!

• Garage 1, Level 3 Row H with five units serving five parking spaces (208/240V available).
    • Garage 2, Level 1 Row U with five units serving five parking spaces (208/240V available).
    • Garage 2, Level 3 - adjacent to Terminal Walkway are four charging stations serving eight parking spaces (120V and 240V) available.

Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 10.43.58 AM.png

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  7. Leeclanual

Leeclanual Member

Good updates

8. kaczmarczyk

kaczmarczyk Member

#88 kaczmarczyk, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Now that the Garage 2 1st floor charges are being used heavily is there a proper charging etiquette for plugging in someone else when you leave? Given how long the charging cables are I was thinking of just sticking my adapter into the charge port with the hopes that one of the Teslas near me would charge me upon their departure.

Is there a proper charging etiquette for a situation like this? I wouldn't want to unplug anyone nor would I want to leave a note asking someone next to me to plug me in when they leave (though this might be the best option). I'm hoping there is all ready a proper charging etiquette or we could start an IAD one...kind of like the unwritten Slug rules

Edit: if you see a Red Model S with an adapter in please charge me. I'll start doing the same for anyone I see as well.

• Like x 1
  9. swengl

swengl Member

If you put a note on your dash as to when you started charging and how long you think you need to charge, that would be useful for others. As far as unplugging another car, I tend to avoid that unless you see a note of some sort (some folks leave notes with QR codes that will call their cell phone).

10. Reddy Kilowatt

When you purchase stuff from Evantex, they send these red and green cards to leave in your windshield. Red is for "I need a charge please don't unplug." The green one is for Opportunity charging, take the cable if you need to charge"

• Like x 3