Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dumb UMC bag zipper problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bmah

Moderator, Supercharger Hunter
Global Moderator
Mar 17, 2015
Lafayette, CA, USA
This is a stupid, weird thing to post about but what the heck, maybe someone might find this useful or at least entertaining.

Before every trip where I anticipate needing to charge (from any type of charger) I put my UMC plus various assorted adapters into the circular bag that Tesla provided with the car. The UMC goes in the "front" side (where the Tesla wordmark is) and the adapters go in the "back" side. Yesterday when I got to my parents' house I took out the UMC to hook up to their 240V dryer outlet. Apparently when I zipped the bag closed, the zipper pull somehow ran straight off the zipper. Unfortunately I didn't notice this until later, and I have no clue at all where the zipper pull is.

So now the bag is zipped closed, with no easy way to open it short of ripping the two sides of the zipper apart. That side of the bag doesn't have anything in it right now, so it's just annoying.

I've never heard of this problem before, sound familiar to anyone here?

Bruce.

• Funny
Reactions: GSP
Thanks all for the comments and suggestions.

Zippers are silly. It's just a bag — tear it open and get a new bag. Or just stow the unbagged looped-up cable in the cubby on the left in the trunk.

I know zippers are silly (Velcro on the other hand is awesome), but I like having all my gear in nice little containers. :rolleyes:

Bruce can you run a piece of wire or twist tie through the zipper base where the pull would go through and fashion your own pull?

Use a safety pin through the zipper base.

Ah, maybe I didn't use the terminology correctly. If the "base" is the thing that makes the zipper teeth go apart and come together, then I'm missing that part too (I was referring to that part plus the pull you hold onto as the "pull", maybe that was incorrect).

Use the old ball point pen trick to open the bag, then rescue the zip

Anyway there's zero, zip, nada resembling a zipper pull / base in the bag. It's not in the trunk, and I don't remember seeing it on the floor in the parents' garage. Maybe it just evaporated. :p

I'm probably going to just stuff the UMC into a toolbag that I keep in the car (it currently holds a tire inflator but it's probably big enough for the UMC as well). Might ask about this at my next service center visit to see if they'll give me a new bag.

#firstworldproblems

Bruce.

If you can't get a replacement from Tesla, take the bag to your local dry cleaner. They will almost assuredly be able to replace the zipper with another heavy duty zip and your bag will be back in action. I just had the zipper replaced on a coat and I can't even tell that it isn't the original zipper.

• Helpful
Reactions: mblakele
Ah didn't realize the handle and zipper base were gone. Guessing that the zipper stop got messed up and it came off. Someone suggested going to the dry cleaner. Ours doesn't do simple clothing repairs but we still have a tailor/clothing alteration shop in town. They are getting harder to find. For sure they could take out and replace the zipper for you.

If you can't find a shop to replace the zipper, perhaps you know a relative/friend/neighbor who knows how to sew? My wife has replaced zippers in garments and bags over the years, but she's from a generation that learned how to sew from their mothers. It's not a skill that's very popular anymore.

If you can't find a shop to replace the zipper, perhaps you know a relative/friend/neighbor who knows how to sew? My wife has replaced zippers in garments and bags over the years, but she's from a generation that learned how to sew from their mothers. It's not a skill that's very popular anymore.
If the zipper is in good condition and only missing the zipper pull & slider, it's possible to easily repair with a replacement slider like I mentioned a few posts above, without sewing. Only pliers & cutters required.

Example: Replace the Slider on a Plastic Tooth Zipper

I like having all my gear in nice little containers
I'm with you on that. I hate stuff rattling around loose. Bags, containers, rack cases, etc for my gear whenever I can. If I find cool lille bags/cases I save them for some future goody...

Sorry about the bag issue.... although I admit to not quite understanding what you mean by two sides of the bag... unless Tesla has a newer version than mine, which only has a single section & zipper.

I ended up finding this for my adapters and testers:
AdapterCase1.JPG

AdapterCase2.JPG

Signed - A fellow Case Nerd

I'm with you on that. I hate stuff rattling around loose. Bags, containers, rack cases, etc for my gear whenever I can. If I find cool lille bags/cases I save them for some future goody...

Sorry about the bag issue.... although I admit to not quite understanding what you mean by two sides of the bag... unless Tesla has a newer version than mine, which only has a single section & zipper.

I ended up finding this for my adapters and testers:
View attachment 229219
View attachment 229220

Signed - A fellow Case Nerd
Nice. Do you happen to have a link to where that could be purchased online?