Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

e-Tag placement in Aust delivered cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the Aus delivered cars all have the cameras there isn't an obvious place to put an e-Tag.
Initial advice was to mount the tag vertically to the left of the camera. This didn't work. A quick stop at the service centre and a new position was suggested - as close to the top of the screen as possible and horizontal. I tried this immediately and it worked in the Lane Cove tunnel.

Here is a pic that might help others. :smile:

image.jpg

My e-tag is a first generation design and we tried holding it up in a similar position, albeit closer to the mirror and no beeps.
Will try again in the spot Mark E suggests when we return home to Sydney tomorrow and report back.
Both of my others were first gen design so I was surprised when this one arrived in the post. Thinking I might update the other ones as well, although you can't really see them in my other cars.

The RMS will swap them out if you take in the old one apparently.

Anybody tried a first generation e-tag in this left of mirror position? Have not had the opportunity to need the tag as yet in my new car. (did rack up a hefty bill in the loan car tho'!!)

- - - Updated - - -

Mine works fine in this position as well - close to the top of the screen as possible - left of mirror - using latest version of e-tag
Does it make a difference which way up it is (position of antenna internally). Mark E seems to have his upside down.

Anybody tried a first generation e-tag in this left of mirror position? Have not had the opportunity to need the tag as yet in my new car. (did rack up a hefty bill in the loan car tho'!!)

- - - Updated - - -

Does it make a difference which way up it is (position of antenna internally). Mark E seems to have his upside down.

I was an early adopter of an e-tag and have one of the earliest versions of the first generation tags. Mine came with a holder so I have always mounted in the holder upside down with the RTA label showing. Have tried it in various positions at the top of the windscreen but no beep. The only way I have got it to work is to open the Pano slightly and hold it up. That does work! :cool:
I'll be going to the RMS on Monday to get a new tag and plead my case to avoid additional charges. Wish me luck.:crying:

I was an early adopter of an e-tag and have one of the earliest versions of the first generation tags. Mine came with a holder so I have always mounted in the holder upside down with the RTA label showing. Have tried it in various positions at the top of the windscreen but no beep. The only way I have got it to work is to open the Pano slightly and hold it up. That does work! :cool:
I'll be going to the RMS on Monday to get a new tag and plead my case to avoid additional charges. Wish me luck.:crying:

Hi Meloccom. Would you mind posting up a picture of first and second generation e-tags, as I have no idea what the differences are to look at. I had one shipped to Canberra years ago which we use when in Sydney. Thanks.

Hi Meloccom. Would you mind posting up a picture of first and second generation e-tags, as I have no idea what the differences are to look at. I had one shipped to Canberra years ago which we use when in Sydney. Thanks.
@AussieModelS Pictures of first generation e-Tag as requested.

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

In its holder
IMG_0545.jpg

My mother has a later version of this e-tag and it attaches using a small clip versus this full size holder.
Mark E has attached a picture of the current e-tag in post 1 of this thread.
Hope that helps.

@AussieModelS Pictures of first generation e-Tag as requested.

View attachment 67902
View attachment 67903
In its holder
View attachment 67904
My mother has a later version of this e-tag and it attaches using a small clip versus this full size holder.
Mark E has attached a picture of the current e-tag in post 1 of this thread.
Hope that helps.

Thanks Meloccom.

These are very different to the ROAM one I use. SO maybe the ROMA E-Tags will be OK. Cheers.

Since the Aus delivered cars all have the cameras there isn't an obvious place to put an e-Tag.
Initial advice was to mount the tag vertically to the left of the camera. This didn't work. A quick stop at the service centre and a new position was suggested - as close to the top of the screen as possible and horizontal. I tried this immediately and it worked in the Lane Cove tunnel.

Here is a pic that might help others. :smile:

View attachment 67520

Hey Mark,
I can confirm newer RMS tag positioned as shown works for me also. My old style tag wasn't firing either so went and changed it over (for free) at Chatswood this afternoon. It bleeped on the M2 on the way home so seems to work well.