Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

E-Z Pass in the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this was a common issue for early Model S windshields. I have a standard NY-issued EZPass transponder mounted to the right of the interior mirror/camera housing in my 3 and have not had any issues with it getting read anywhere on the East Coast so far. In theory, since this is a known thing that Tesla fixed, Y should be the same.

Reactions: preilly44
Install it to the right of rear mirror. It's in the owner's manual.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 17.14.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 17.14.24 PM.png
    62.3 KB · Views: 3,539
Install it to the right of rear mirror. It's in the owner's manual.
That only worked sporadically on my Model 3. I ended up moving it to the glass roof just behind the center beam where I don't see it. It works every time now. YMMV. I won't be able to do that on my Model Y since there is no center beam so I'll have to play around to find the right spot. I should be getting it in the next couple days and will post back here with my findings.

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve
That only worked sporadically on my Model 3. I ended up moving it to the glass roof just behind the center beam where I don't see it. It works every time now. YMMV. I won't be able to do that on my Model Y since there is no center beam so I'll have to play around to find the right spot. I should be getting it in the next couple days and will post back here with my findings.
Same here with FasTrak. For me, it mostly doesn't read when placed to the right of the mirror. However, the only time I use the transponder is for bridge tolls and they all have cameras to photograph your rear license plate and bill your account if no transponder is detected.

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve
20200815_160857.jpg
It's a little hard to see with the reflection of my opener and plug on the windshield, but I masked off my EZ-pass and painted the back flat black so it looks a little better on my MY. Those two rectangles are the velcro strips that hold it.

Wow. I kept holding mine up and I got two tickets, I'm surprised it works in the glovebox. I just mounted mine yesterday next to the mirror, like it said in the manual. Annoying getting tickets from EZPass when they know I own an EzPass. I had to pay $50 after they let the first one slide, on a 50 cent toll.

Wow. I kept holding mine up and I got two tickets, I'm surprised it works in the glovebox. I just mounted mine yesterday next to the mirror, like it said in the manual. Annoying getting tickets from EZPass when they know I own an EzPass. I had to pay $50 after they let the first one slide, on a 50 cent toll.
If you register the plate online that won’t happen.