Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP (Enhanced Auto Pilot) for $4k. Who’s in?

Are you getting EAP?

• Yes

Votes: 72 19.1%
  • No

Votes: 172 45.6%
  • Wait and see

Votes: 133 35.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The idea of breaking out ever smaller pieces of automation would IMHO be creating more hassle than it's worth. Lane-changing, for instance, is tied into a whole different level of auto-pilot. However it would end up partitioned, there would be complainers.

I'm resigned to having bought more car than I ever expected to buy. But I did. I had a chance to buy close to the promised $35k, and chose not to. I look at the Model S and X at the Superchargers, and wonder who these guys are, that they'd drop over $100k on a car. But OK, a Tesla is not a Strippy Sentra. We've bought into a pretty cool adventure. I don't get the whole plus or minus how many franklins over how many years discussion, and wanting to grind the features down. Maybe just get one headlight? I couldn't see spending on fancy wheels, or even dual motors, but if I had to give up any of the automation on my car, I'd really REALLY notice.

The one point I can see to a subscription model is the effective result of being able to "take it with you".

Aside from the case where a hardware upgrade was included, as in going from HW2.5 to HW3, I'm not sure why Tesla has chosen to bind software to the car rather than the driver, but they have. And that's a lot of money, typically $8K over base price, to lose from software that could be easily uninstalled and transferred, when you sell or total your car. This is where we could fruitfully apply some bitching.

Last edited:
If I order EAP, does it send a push alert in the app saying that I've purchased it? Kind of like when it sends a push alert that a software update is available or installed?

Hypothetically speaking (haha), I'm considering purchasing it but I'd like to break the news to my wife at a later date/time. Thus, wondering if she'd get some alert since we share the same Tesla account.

If I order EAP, does it send a push alert in the app saying that I've purchased it? Kind of like when it sends a push alert that a software update is available or installed?

Hypothetically speaking (haha), I'm considering purchasing it but I'd like to break the news to my wife at a later date/time. Thus, wondering if she'd get some alert since we share the same Tesla account.

I absolutely didn't have this question at all even one little bit but the answer is no.....

I know that if you buy eap now and you want to upgrade to fsd, you essential pay 1000 more for the option that simply purchasing fsd straight off the bat. What is the likely hood of tesla putting fsd for sale like they did earlier this year for people with eap?

You can't count on anything in this pricing see-saw, but one thing has generally held up: you don't gain much by putting it off. I regret not getting the whole FSD with the car, and financing it.

For the undecided, one more triage:

Sticking to what they have is for people who don't need no stinkin' computers, they just like a fast sedan.

The EAP upgrade is a) for people who don't plan to keep the car longer than, say, 3 years. Or b) if they do, they don't trust Tesla will significantly improve surface street AP. That would make EAP entirely sufficient for many years.

The FSD upgrade is especially a) for those who plan to keep the car until it fails. By then FSD will have given them years of cool driving. Or b) who count on new things from Tesla, even on 5+ year old Model 3s. In other words they expect Tesla to keep updating, as they have for the older Model S, and not only put the best tech on their newest cars.

And a margin note re: the "better to put the money into TSLA stock" theory. The problem there is that if your stock rises, you won't want to sell it. So you won't be buying FSD or anything with it anytime soon ;-)

I told my wife even though I didn't want to. Her Model 3 has EAP ; so, she would have had a hard time telling me no. She was horrified about the expense! I told her that it was better than spending $8000 which was my only option a few weeks ago.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I know that if you buy eap now and you want to upgrade to fsd, you essential pay 1000 more for the option that simply purchasing fsd straight off the bat. What is the likely hood of tesla putting fsd for sale like they did earlier this year for people with eap?
Unlikely especially if they decide to up it to $9k or $10k by 2021. That's just my opinion.

I bought EAP and while the argument that I'll pay $1000 more if I go FSD at this point is valid, I just bought $1000 of tsla today. I highly doubt I'll buy FSD ever on this car. Maybe when we add a model Y to the collection.

I told my wife even though I didn't want to. Her Model 3 has EAP ; so, she would have had a hard time telling me no. She was horrified about the expense! I told her that it was better than spending $8000 which was my only option a few weeks ago.
Yeah: this was how I got away with it - it's only $4K instead of $8K. For me, the additional money to go full FSD isn't for me. But all of these choices are personal - it is what it is worth for the individual.

I see a little bit of trend in the comments in this thread where those who so no are, "No for everyone" but those who are going for either EAP or FSD are saying, "Yes for me"

I have a model x with fsd and model 3 without. I don’t use the summon and the red light thing I don’t care for. Yet I am seriously tempted because the auto lane change is such a godsend with the autopilot. It is so annoying to be on and off autopilot, moving lane to lane given Americans love to lane hog. I hit some red warning message at least once a drive due to not cancelation autopilot and perform a lane change. Yes it’s a first world problem, but I am seriously tempted.

Would love for the glitches were are seeing with the upgrades page to be a sign that the subscr
You can't count on anything in this pricing see-saw, but one thing has generally held up: you don't gain much by putting it off. I regret not getting the whole FSD with the car, and financing it.

Sticking to what they have is for people who don't need no stinkin' computers, they just like a fast sedan.

The EAP upgrade is a) for people who don't plan to keep the car longer than, say, 3 years. Or b) if they do, they don't trust Tesla will significantly improve surface street AP. That would make EAP entirely sufficient for many years.

The FSD upgrade is especially a) for those who plan to keep the car until it fails. By then FSD will have given them years of cool driving. Or b) who count on new things from Tesla, even on 5+ year old Model 3s. In other words they expect Tesla to keep updating, as they have for the older Model S, and not only put the best tech on their newest cars.

And a margin note re: the "better to put the money into TSLA stock" theory. The problem there is that if your stock rises, you won't want to sell it. So you won't be buying FSD or anything with it anytime soon ;-)

These are great points, specifically in regard to FSD and the length of time you plan on keeping the car.

I bought some TSLA stock at $356 a couple weeks ago. I just need to wait for it to go up a little bit more - then I can tell my wife, "it was basically free." LOL

• Funny
Reactions: Arctic_White
Hmm... I'm still on my 48-hr. window for trying out NOA. So far I'm lukewarm on its performance... it's bouncing me around like a drunken sailor. If I'm to believe what Elon Musk just said about re-writing the entire software making it light years better, should I go ahead with the purchase? Well, do I feel lucky?

Hmm... I'm still on my 48-hr. window for trying out NOA. So far I'm lukewarm on its performance... it's bouncing me around like a drunken sailor. If I'm to believe what Elon Musk just said about re-writing the entire software making it light years better, should I go ahead with the purchase? Well, do I feel lucky?
Does the app show option to request for refund?

Unlikely especially if they decide to up it to $9k or $10k by 2021. That's just my opinion.

I bought EAP and while the argument that I'll pay $1000 more if I go FSD at this point is valid, I just bought $1000 of tsla today. I highly doubt I'll buy FSD ever on this car. Maybe when we add a model Y to the collection.
How do you like it so far???

Yeah, I’m waiting for the subscription version. The Model 3 wont be my daily driver, and I don’t plan on long trips with the car but I want to see how this thing works personally. And 4-8k is still too steep especially if I’m not driving the car every single day nor do I have long commutes.

Ok... so for people who have to pay $4000 for Enhanced Autopilot gets auto lane change and summon... So what about people got EAP with their car? Will we get summon and auto lane change also? If not, how can they have two different versions of EAP?

EAP is EAP

It sounds like you are confused between AP and EAP.

We paid $5K back in July 2018 for AP + EAP. Worth every penny.

Don't use the automatic lane change feature. NoA is great, but don't activate that extra feature.

...it’s your wife, that says a lot...but hey, other people manage their money differently, no judgement. Just saying it is cheaper to go without or get her agreement first, than to get a divorce...I’m considering the EAP upgrade, but I am sure MY wife would have sticker shock. Frankly, so do I.

Or, some people can get satisfied with what they have. People have been, and largely will be, driving the car “by hand” for the foreseeable future. Most people will continue to do it. Frankly, we should all keep up with those skills :) even if we enjoy EAP/FSD :) if it’s always used as a robotaxi, it does not need thrilling performance.