Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP (Enhanced Auto Pilot) for $4k. Who’s in?

Are you getting EAP?

• Yes

Votes: 72 19.1%
  • No

Votes: 172 45.6%
  • Wait and see

Votes: 133 35.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tested EAP on my normal 30minute commute. Worked great. The lane changing is good. The NoA is good as well. I am paying a lot of attention on the road because this system is new to me. I also did NoA driving into SF highways from CA-24, worked well too, especially the CA-24 to i-580. I can see how some will hate NoA just based on diff driving personality. Some are go go go, some are smooth and slow.

Autopilot basic worked well for me before. The lane change part, which was often, was getting tiring to disengage and reengage autosteer. I'm nearing my 48hr window of regret cancel period.

Now there's rumor of subscription based FSD soon. I have seen people guess anywhere from $50-250/mo for pricing. I think the business side of Tesla and seeing increased in FSD pricing makes me think they'll charge the higher end for subscription packages. Maybe $150/mo for now for fsd and as more features completes, $200-250-300-500. I'm keeping this car 10-15 years for sure, like my other cars, so $4000 amortized isn't so bad as long as it's cheaper than the subscription model over 7 years. Tesla probably wants their money within 5-7years given how they show us the gas savings on their website.

I had a funny thing happen. Or WE did. My wife's profile was never initialized, so although I use NOA / FSD all the time, she was basically driving a "standard AP" car. Man, I don't want to start on a rant, but what a difference. Basic AP is (relatively speaking) a glorified Cruise Control that you can almost get on a Bolt. You won't realize that until you've announced "Navigate to XYZ" and had the car drive itself over a few freeway merges/changes with no interventions. Like this. My Nicki does it just fine at 55+ MPH, while I cower with a sandwich.

580MazeM.jpg

Or handling stop and go bumper to bumper merges and lane changes while I relax with that sandwich and fiddle with the music searches.

If you're one of the manly manual-only go-boys, you know who you are, and you won't even be considering it. But I'm not 20 years old, and I do appreciate assistance.

I had EAP before adding the HW3 and "FSD". I was more than happy to do that at the then $3K surcharge. But EAP was great already. The only thing missing right now in EAP (vs "FSD") is better AS on the streets, stoplight handling, with noticeable improvements to that stuff with every update, and more to come. I see that growth path as essential to what a Tesla is. But if you have standard AP and the full FSD is too expensive, or of debatable value in your eyes right now, and you can get EAP now for $4K, grab it.

Last edited:
Genuine question here but what's so great about automatic lane change? Safer than shoulder checks?
Just a great and easy way to change lanes without converting to manual control and then reengaging. Always still paying attention. Just easy and smooth.

I will say though, I bought my car in Oct 2018, and there was not standard AP option. It was EAP or FSD, someday. If I had to do it again right now, I would probably just get standard AP. Cruze with lane keep is the main feature. Not sure I’d spend up for lane change. I do like it, but just don’t know if I need it.

Oh, and NOA is kind of a joke. I mean it works, but often makes decisions I wouldt, so I use the left stalk to cancel lane changes it wants, more often than I world use it to simply change when I want. Make sense? I’m sure that is entirely user preference though. Some people probably absolutely live it.

To other comments about HW 3. There’s lots of cars out there with EAP on HW 2 and 2.5 rn. I doubt at this point Tesla will be adding any functionality to EAP that would require them to upgrade all those cars computers too. I mean, it already works.

I tested EAP on my normal 30minute commute. Worked great. The lane changing is good. The NoA is good as well. I am paying a lot of attention on the road because this system is new to me. I also did NoA driving into SF highways from CA-24, worked well too, especially the CA-24 to i-580. I can see how some will hate NoA just based on diff driving personality. Some are go go go, some are smooth and slow.

Autopilot basic worked well for me before. The lane change part, which was often, was getting tiring to disengage and reengage autosteer. I'm nearing my 48hr window of regret cancel period.

Now there's rumor of subscription based FSD soon. I have seen people guess anywhere from $50-250/mo for pricing. I think the business side of Tesla and seeing increased in FSD pricing makes me think they'll charge the higher end for subscription packages. Maybe $150/mo for now for fsd and as more features completes, $200-250-300-500. I'm keeping this car 10-15 years for sure, like my other cars, so $4000 amortized isn't so bad as long as it's cheaper than the subscription model over 7 years. Tesla probably wants their money within 5-7years given how they show us the gas savings on their website.

This is the exact reason it is a wait and see for me personally. I would rather pay closer to $200/month for feature I can toggle on/off. Also, something really important to consider is the subscription will be for FSD (as rumored). This $4000 "upgrade" is not for FSD. I would rather pay ~$200/month for the FSD feature than $4K for EAP or $8K for FSD in its current state.

For those that use NOA, how does it handle express lanes? Eg, a far left lane on a highway that you can only enter/exit at certain times. Does NOA recognize these lanes without trying to exit at improper times?

Last edited:
Reactions: tren01t
This is the exact reason it is a wait and see for me personally. I would rather pay closer to $200/month for feature I can toggle on/off. Also, something really important to consider is the subscription will be for FSD (as rumored). This $4000 "upgrade" is not for FSD. I would rather pay ~$200/month for the FSD feature than $4K for EAP or $8K for FSD in its current state.

For those that use NOA, how does it handle express lanes? Eg, a far left lane on a highway that you can only enter/exit at certain times. Does NOA recognize these lanes without trying to exit at improper times?
I'm wondering how theyll control the "toggle off and on" subscription model.

Interesting, so at $8k now, that $200/mo will get you 26 months after which you're now overpaying. Pay that $200/mo for 5 years and that $8k is now $12,000. Yeah, that's a real good deal to pay by the month.. :p I don't believe I'd ever go FSD, not in SoCal, but the $4k ... maybe.

I have EAP on my Model 3 since day 1. I have used Summon, Smart Summon, Auto Park, a few times just to play with it. I was early access on NoA and drove with it for like 2 months. The only thing I use now is the standard AP. I use it every day. Everything else I don't use at all. I mean it is nice that I have them, but I would not pay $4000 for them. $400 maybe.

Reactions: tren01t
Interesting, so at $8k now, that $200/mo will get you 26 months after which you're now overpaying. Pay that $200/mo for 5 years and that $8k is now $12,000. Yeah, that's a real good deal to pay by the month.. :p I don't believe I'd ever go FSD, not in SoCal, but the $4k ... maybe.

What math are you doing? At 26 months that is $5200 and you still haven't paid $8K. Your 5 year math is correct, but you also have to factor in the fact it follows the user and not the car. How much is that worth? If someone switches cars every 2-3 years they actually would come out better. Also, this makes the assumption someone maintains the subscription year round.

Last edited:
Reactions: Country Roads
I have EAP on my Model 3 since day 1. I have used Summon, Smart Summon, Auto Park, a few times just to play with it. I was early access on NoA and drove with it for like 2 months. The only thing I use now is the standard AP.

You are likely using the auto lane change feature of EAP everyday while you think you are just using standard AP. (Unless you never change lanes while on AP.)

You are likely using the auto lane change feature of EAP everyday while you think you are just using standard AP. (Unless you never change lanes while on AP.)

No, I don't use the auto lane change. It's really slow (to me) changing lane. I just disable AP (tap up on stalk) and change lane. But I rarely have to change lane... I am either in the fast lane or carpool lane when I am using AP when there is no traffic. If there is traffic, changing lane really doesn't do much LOL.

To be honest, if AP is not available, I will settle just for TACC. I am usually on TACC while in the carpool lane. The reason is that if the lane is wide, I like to be closer to the center so motorcycles could pass on my right. If the lane is narrow, I stay more away from the center because of the concrete center divider.

Reactions: Spacep0d
TACC doesn’t disengage, auto steer does.

I have the SR+ with the basic AP. I have read the manual. But I am not still sure of the difference between Autosteer and TACC.

I get it that with TACC it works like adaptive cruise control in my other car in keeping safe distance while performing cruise control. I once did the double stalk dip and it engaged the AP and the car started to behave badly, speeding up, slowing down and sometimes veering into the nearby lane where there were semis that I gave up on the basic AP.

So what is the difference between TACC and Autosteer, in layman terms.

I have the SR+ with the basic AP. I have read the manual. But I am not still sure of the difference between Autosteer and TACC.

I get it that with TACC it works like adaptive cruise control in my other car in keeping safe distance while performing cruise control. I once did the double stalk dip and it engaged the AP and the car started to behave badly, speeding up, slowing down and sometimes veering into the nearby lane where there were semis that I gave up on the basic AP.

So what is the difference between TACC and Autosteer, in layman terms.

TACC = Radar cruise control, keeps a safe distance from the car in front of you like you stated.
Autosteer = Steers the car in the center of the lane automatically, even at curves, but up to a certain curvature (no defined definition on how curve the road can be until AP fails).

Reactions: Kamban
My MY20 has been garaged since March and likely remain that way until a vaccine is here. I drive less than 2 hours a week since so really the only time my Tesla sees action is on Sundays when I take it around the neighborhood to prevent rust and rot from setting in.

That said as tempting as the offer is I can't justify paying 4K for something I'd barely use and maybe get 2yrs of use out of it. I plan on trading in for a MY24, definitely don't want to own the Tesla when the warranty is up.