Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP - How Often Do you "take over" ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kind of #2. Any driving that requires "social interaction", like merging or some construction zones or cars signalling with turn signals, can cause a problem. Most annoying was when it wanted to center itself in an on ramp after the dotted line separating the normal lane and the merge lane disappeared. At the very least I didn't want to do that in front of a cop. I hope it's better now in V9.

Reactions: ChadS
Just finished a week long road trip from SoCal to OKC with V9 and the 2017 MS 90D. My left hand is a bit sore from gripping the wheel and applying downward pressure. That action allowed Autopilot to work consistently without nagging. I ran Autopilot about 98% of the time during the 40 hours of driving. An average of about once an hour Autopilot needed to be disengaged for a short time due to other drivers or unexpected conditions such as construction or steering towards an added vehicle lane that Autopilot might occasionally miss (i.e.: Truck Lanes).

Manual control is needed when an erratic driver cuts me off extremely close and I don't want to risk Autopilot catching the error. Construction zones can be an issue if the crews place concrete barriers or reflective barrels over the left lane line. One surprise to watch for are the number of drivers and truckers who drift across the lane lines. All vehicles need Tesla's rock solid Autopilot steering for safer highways.

Snowy conditions did cover the radar causing the adaptive cruise to stop working. Fortunately, I was about 10 miles to the Flagstaff Supercharger where the snow was removed.

The windshield has a couple of minor rock hits. That is expected even with the distance set at 7 and the number of Semis on the road. The use of Autopilot is worth a bit of damage to the car from flying debris.

Unfortunately, V9 still drifts toward a wider narrowing right lane line after passing an off-ramp. After a few hundred miles of driving in the right lane, it seemed odd when it occasionally skipped drifting to the right.

Last edited:
All the time, even on the motorway.
The car does not have good lane placement based on conditions - it does not take into account
  • large trucks next to you
  • a barrier very close to the lane
  • being in the far left or far right lane
In all of this situations, normal drivers will change their position in the lane somewhat.
My MX doesn't and that often creates situations where I move the car's position (especially
with big trucks and barriers).

Also, as animorph says above - lanes merging and splitting and cars changing into my lane.
Bendy roads are hit and miss too - for a while my car slowed for tight corners, but its stopped
doing that now.

Here (NZ) there's not many places where I can run the AP for very long, even on long trips.
So its #2, many times per hour.

Question for those with current version of EAP

When taking "road trips" how OFTEN do you feel like you need to "take back" control of the car

#1 - Almost never?

#2 - Few times and hour?

ect?

Thanks in advance.

:)

If I am on I10 in the middle of the desert between Palm springs and Phoenix, I can go well over an hour without needing to take over. However, once any traffic, merges, curves or construction become involved I normally disengage several times an hour.

On limited access highways, with clear lane markings, and no construction - we've been able to operate under AutoSteer for long distances without taking over control. A more frequent problem is false braking due to incorrectly detected objects (sometimes with dark spots on the roadway ahead due to shadows) or when the speed limit database incorrectly believes the speed limit has lowered on the highway.

Still don't trust AutoSteer for unusual circumstances, such as inconsistent lane lines, construction barriers, or when vehicles in adjacent lanes are hugging the lane lines.

Compared to operating only under cruise control, using AutoSteer is an improvement - as long as you are ready to take over at any time.

I haven't taken my car on a road trip, but for regular freeway driving:

- When next to 18 wheelers.... It's just too close for my comfort.
- When I'm on the HOV lane and I notice bikes lane splitting.... the car sits center and have seen bikers purposely hitting side mirrors if you don't give them space :mad:.
- When there's road debris
- When there's construction

On my 30~ miles of late night freeway driving from work the EAP gives me no issues. Just a bit of tension/torque on the wheel = 0 nags.

Just finished a week long road trip from SoCal to OKC with V9 and the 2017 MS 90D. My left hand is a bit sore from gripping the wheel and applying downward pressure.

I will switch hands, put my hand on the top of the wheel, then the bottom, then keep them in my lap for a while and click the volume up/down several times, then back to the hand position. But how soon we forget the "old days" when you had to not only hold the wheel but steer it through every corner, and both hands were tired. :(

Manual control is needed when an erratic driver cuts me off extremely close and I don't want to risk Autopilot catching the error. Construction zones can be an issue if the crews place concrete barriers or reflective barrels over the left lane line. One surprise to watch for are the number of drivers and truckers who drift across the lane lines. All vehicles need Tesla's rock solid Autopilot steering for safer highways.

I find I need to keep the right foot close to the accelerator for situations when someone takes advantage of the 1.5 car lengths ahead of you and squeezes into the spot; you know, those people who start signalling after they start turning into your lane right in front of you? if you are quick and press the accelerator the car won't slam on the brakes and risk getting rear ended. The radar and sensors in my AP1 car can sense vehicles moving into the lane but it doesn't see signalling, so the driver knows what is happening a few precious milliseconds before the car does. And yes I don't like how the car still likes to make the radius of corners larger by travelling in the outside of the lane when trucks beside you are inside of their lane; it gets uncomfortably close at times.

The other situation I find a need a quick foot is when approaching slow moving trucks on left hand sweeping uphill sections. I am in the middle lane, and I can tell that the semi truck is in the outside lane, but AP1 doesn't know this for sure so it sometimes wants to brake hard until it is sure the car is not going to reared the truck. Anticipating this and hitting the accelerator saves getting rear ended, looking like I am an inexperienced driver, and wasted energy/brakes.

But with all EAP's deficiencies, it is certainly not perfect yet, I would argue it does what it is supposed to. The proof is how I feel after driving. Yesterday I drove 700km; I left my house at 6:00 am and got back home at 5:30 pm. I was in the car for 9 hours including supercharging.

After getting back home I could have easily gone out for another drive. With every other car/truck I have ever driven I would be done: I would not want to even think about getting back in it for at least 12 hours, and I frequently would have needed a nap when I got back.

Reactions: Mark Z
AP2.5 on V9

Since V9 I have not had to take over a single time over 1000 or so miles. V8 was way worse, it couldn’t do on/off ramps well at all and struggled in tight turns and would chatter the steering wheel and swerve the car all around like a ping pong ball but would eventually make it. V9 is substantially smoother.

Only times I have come close to disengagement is people cutting in front of me on the highway, I just let AP figure it out and hold my hands and feet nearby just in case. I run my car with a wheel torque bypass (sue me I pay attention) and honestly would feel 100% safe sleeping in it on a well marked road going under 60. It’s even able to manage Houston atrociously marked hackjob highway repairs which have misleading concrete patches that I expected would trucks AP but it kept the course pretty well even through the worst parts. Got honked at a few times on v8 through the same parts. Woops.

Hurry up Tesla with stoplight/sign and link to Nav / 90deg turns. I’ll check some liability box in a heartbeat for that luxury.

Reactions: EinSV
#2 - Few times and hour on the interstate because of odd traffic issues. I set my right scroll wheel to control my phone, which isn't coupled, so I can just constantly scroll up and down to stop the nags, which pretty much ignore where my hands actually are otherwise.

Other than interstate - While still out of necessity scrolling to stop nags, I hold the wheel and pay closer attention; EAP is not trustworthy for 2-lane roads IMHO, ESPECIALLY after V9.

- 2018 X75D EAP V9