Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP question for current owners

EAP Poll

• EAP is worth it to me.

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • EAP is not worth it to me.

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • EAP is worth it to me even if it's inconsistent.

Votes: 21 41.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Is the inconsistencies worth the compromise?...

It's up to you!

Would you want to be a babysitter to make sure a baby can crawl, stand, walk without getting into accidents? And hopefully some day that baby will grow up and will be able to that and even run and jump independently?

In addition to not only paying your labor to babysit, you have to pay thousands of dollars to do it?

That's what AP2 is for me!

It's a joy! And I would pay for that privilege again with no hesitation.

It's not perfect but it is well worth for its incremental improvements. I can see I document its performance on youtube.

• Funny
Reactions: DriveMe and oktane
It all depends on what you are trying to get out of it. For me, I turn it on to offload mindless task to the car: keeping distance, keeping in lane. Instead, I pay attention to the cars ahead of me, coming up from behind and around me. This makes me more aware of my surroundings and can be ready to take control if things don't look quite right. For instance, you know if a car wants to merge and you might be in the blind spot from what the driver is doing. That's when I take control. Other people think using EAP means they can be on their phone and text and what not. That's not why I use EAP.

Reactions: Nauti-Boy
How about another category: Waiting for EAP to improve before buying it
That still doesn't accommodate those who are waiting for FSD to work before buying EAP+FSD. That's the boat I'm on, waiting for out AP2 Tesla to be able to drop me off at the airport, go home park itself, then come pick me up a few days later. Once it can do that, I'll write Tesla the $10K check for both features. Not only that, I will probably also upgrade in our AP1 Tesla to get the FSD functionality. Elon says this will happen sooner than everyone thinks!

I purchased my AP2 car when they were first announced based largely on the hype and the video. AP has been a big disappointment for me. It cannot be trusted and is merely a gimmic to show passengers in short bursts. If I had a chance to do it all over again, I would not buy a Tesla now at all. As quickly as things are changing, I would wait a year or two for the technology to develop and would then reassess my options. Good luck.

First, we don't have EAP today - what we have is a beta version that doesn't appear to be using all 4 of the cameras promised for EAP - and isn't yet operating at AP1 levels, let alone providing the functionality promised a year ago with EAP.

So the survey is missing options reflecting where we really are today with EAP:
  • I purchased EAP, am satisfied with my decision to purchase EAP, and willing to continue waiting for it to work
  • I purchased EAP, am disappointed in the delays in getting EAP to work and wish I could get a refund
Though... If you are making a purchase decision in the next few months, you'll be receiving newer hardware - and Tesla will have had a few more months to get the software working.

Since EAP isn't operating at promised levels today - and Tesla still appears to be on track to deliver EAP (at some point), it's difficult for any owners to give you an assessment of EAP - and the value of purchasing it - because we don't have EAP yet.

• Disagree
Reactions: DrivingRockies
I have an AP1 85D and feel it was definitely worth the $2500 for AP1. I can trust AP1 on highways and in stop-and-go traffic and that relieves driver fatigue.

However, based on what I've seen and heard for AP2, I would NOT pay $5000 for EAP until Tesla delivers what they promised for EAP. I would not be surprised if they are unable to deliver within 3 years (which is a common lease term) from the date AP2 cars started being sold; we're already approximately half way there and they're not even close.

First of all, this thread is not to bash AP2 or EAP. Knowing what you know now, would you still purchase EAP after your experience? Is the inconsistencies worth the compromise?

Thanks
Yes, I would still purchase EAP after my experience. Even though it's nowhere near perfect and I agree with most of the complaints on this forum, it's still AWESOME for many simple reasons!

Yes, the inconsistencies are worth putting up with for the benefits as long as you know. You're in a better decision making position than most existing owners because you will 100% know the current limitations. I did not know all the limitations when I purchased and while disappointed in the current system, I would still buy it if I were in your shoes. In fact, I would still buy it today if Tesla told me it will never get better than it is today.

Reactions: Nauti-Boy and bsf29