Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP to FSD upgrade down to $5,000 again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is only one advantage of buying FSD over EAP and that’s the price freeze. Judgement is up to you if you ever get to the point of huge difference between FSD and EAP in the life cycle of your car. I would say, there will be significant differences in next 3 years but I might be wrong. So in my calculations, if you see having your car more than 3 years, go for FSD and if not, EAP or stay with AP.

it's all a guess at this point. point is whether you drive enough to make use of the features... Remember that if you ever decide to get a new car in 3 years, assuming another Tesla, I would just skip FSD all together.

EM would probably like you to think that you can sell your car years later and retained the same value since FSD prices will keep going up. The cost of software will match the depreciation of the actual vehicle. Possible, who can predict about Tesla.

Why is it a question about today when the purchase is intended for what is to come. You are just securing things for a lower cost.
Right. Like that cross-country no-intervention required autopilot feature promised back in 2016...

Tesla has over promised and under-delivered more times than I care to count when it comes to autonomy.

Remember, this is the same guy who was assuring everyone their vehicle would be an appreciating asset. Yeah right.

FSD is the only option as of now. I’d be good with just EAP if that becomes an option again.
That's my view,
A fair price for what you get going from EAP to FSD? Honestly, there is nothing I would pay for.

You already have summon, lane change, autopilot,etc.

You get traffic light recognition at this point and not much else.
That's my viewpoint, too. Got my Model 3 used and it came with EAP. Can't see paying $5k more for whatever comes with FSD, especially as it's still in beta for only a select few.

Initially everybody who had thought about it expected self-driving to be easier than it turned out to be. Software is always like that. I don't go back and blame Musk for being over-optimistic on timing. He does deliver in the end.

Since I use NOA on freeways > 95% of the time, and it's a big help, I've been looking forward to street level NOA. I was thinking that even if I only use it 1/4 of the time, it will also be a big help. Seeing where that beta is right now, I expect using street level assist a lot more than 1/4 of the time in Q1 2021. I kicked myself for missing the $2k EAP->FSD. To each his own, but I'd grab any temporary discount.

Seems like the 2k price raise was premature given it probably turned a lot of people off from upgrading now until FSD is widely available. Why would they pass up on potentially adding more people at 8k through the end of the year push, vs likely turning people away for the last month of the quarter/year after an increase for no immediate added value? I have no data to back this up, but seems like a logical outcome.