Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ear pain/Pressure help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Came across this today, sound reducing kit

God damn that's a lot of effort. Looks like precut butyl sheets, which either makes things easier or more complicated trying to see which piece fits where and how.

Myself, I'm nervous about taking apart everything, it just opens up more chances for clips not being put back properly or potential rattles. The trunk is as far as I've gone for sound deadening.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
Comments say it’s about 3 hours for a professional to install it, so probably double that for a dyi

Yeah, took me 3 hours just to do the trunk, first time doing that though. And doing it again I wouldn't bother to do sound deadening in all the places like the sub trunk which looks like it should contribute to noise but doesn't, or the outer facing body panels. Only the rear wheel wells benefited from butyl.

The other stuff may reduce general road noise but won't do much for jarring bump noises.

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
I tired the adjustments but found from the factory they were all the way in and the envelope was hard to pull out. I then stopped at Canadian tire but they didn’t have any of the vinyl tubing in your recommended size, where did you get yours? I also found a YouTube video where a guy put some material in his M3 but the link is in German so I can’t tell what it is nor have I tried translating the website yet
You may want to start over with these adjustments. Even if they are all the way out, they may not be balanced. Doesn't cost anything to screw them back in and do the envelope calibration test yourself to be certain.

Thanks @ilovecoffee

I tightened all bump stops fully and interestingly when I close the hatch - 3 of them held the paper tightly - especially the 2 top tail light ones - and one of the bottom - there is no more room to play with

Not sure what to make of it since I seem to recall before adding Vinyl tubing one of the tail bump stops had free play with the paper so it’s a bit counter to me (why it feels tight with the tubing in)…

I adjusted the 4th one a bit out so it holds the paper equally tight as others but the Boominess is still very much there

This is the vinyl tube I put in - not sure if I should try a more wider one or if the hatch itself needs adjustment

Thanks @ilovecoffee

I tightened all bump stops fully and interestingly when I close the hatch - 3 of them held the paper tightly - especially the 2 top tail light ones - and one of the bottom - there is no more room to play with

Not sure what to make of it since I seem to recall before adding Vinyl tubing one of the tail bump stops had free play with the paper so it’s a bit counter to me (why it feels tight with the tubing in)…

I adjusted the 4th one a bit out so it holds the paper equally tight as others but the Boominess is still very much there

This is the vinyl tube I put in - not sure if I should try a more wider one or if the hatch itself needs adjustment

which size?

Thanks @ilovecoffee

That does seem counter-intuitive, usually the tubing adds extra height which then creates a gap between the stops.

Theoretically, those air line tubes should be fine since they are also rigid.

Is the rubber gasket straight and even with the tubing in? I wonder if the tubing pushed it to one side or something so it has a new contact point on the hatch door. Personally, I used regular clear PVC vinyl tubing that every Home Depot sells.

If you are fine with the gap as it stands right now, I'd probably pick up 3/8" OD clear PVC viny tubing. This is what I use. It's a bit of a tighter fit and trickier to fish in, but given that the hatch stops make contact screwed in all the way...I think it's worth a shot.

Reactions: srican
That does seem counter-intuitive, usually the tubing adds extra height which then creates a gap between the stops.

Is the rubber gasket straight and even with the tubing in? I wonder if the tubing pushed it to one side or something so it has a new contact point on the hatch door. Personally, I used regular clear PVC vinyl tubing that every Home Depot sells.

If you are fine with the gap as it stands right now, I'd probably pick up 3/8" OD clear PVC viny tubing. This is what I use. It's a bit of a tighter fit and trickier to fish in, but given that the hatch stops make contact screwed in all the way...I think it's worth a shot.
Can you post the link of the tubing you used?

Hi @ilovecoffee ... I checked the tubing - it was set cleanly - especially near the joints - there was no area where it was aligned improperly. I removed the tube completely to test - I noticed - the tube did not appear pressed. When I close the door (after removing the tube), the hatch stops had the same pressure with a paper test like before - seems to me I could try a larger vinyl tube than 5/16 or the doors have to be aligned to close more tightly ? Thoughts ? Thanks.

Tesla Mobile Service visited today to address lift gate misalignment and low frequency noise in my new MY. The Tech reversed the opinion of the Tesla Service Center and stated that the lift gate alignment was not within spec and it could not be corrected with bump stop adjustments. Recommended repair at an auto body shop under Tesla warranty. Very happy with this outcome. Hoping an auto body shop can fix the lift gate and hoping that will reduce the low frequency noise. Will report back as this process unfolds.
Quoting myself just for context. Picked up my car today from warranty service at an auto body shop to correct a misaligned tailgate. The alignment is not perfect, but it’s much improved. Passed the envelop test at all four bumpers. My miles were limited today but I can hear/feel an improvement in the low frequency rumble and booming when on bumpy roads. It’s hard to quantify the improvement, but it’s more than 50%.

Last edited:
Hi all. Just joined this group specifically because of this issue. I have had my 2023 S for about 200 miles and I cannot stand to drive it. The “boominess” is intense for me and I thought I was crazy as I had a 2020 model 3 for 3 years with no issues. I performed the paper test and made necessary adjustments. I turned off active noise canceling and that didn’t help. I feel the sensation in the head/ears as soon as I close the doors of car sitting still in garage. After 10 min of driving its terrible. The only thing that I felt made a slight difference is AC on full blast (not recirculating).. that seems to reduce the effect immediately. Then With windows open maybe a little better. I’m at a total loss on this one..I’m thinking the all glass top and sealing of car makes it a giant amplified low frequency fishbowl. Likely will have to sell the car which I don’t want to do. I have a service appt June 12. Sad!

Hi all. Just joined this group specifically because of this issue. I have had my 2023 S for about 200 miles and I cannot stand to drive it. The “boominess” is intense for me and I thought I was crazy as I had a 2020 model 3 for 3 years with no issues. I performed the paper test and made necessary adjustments. I turned off active noise canceling and that didn’t help. I feel the sensation in the head/ears as soon as I close the doors of car sitting still in garage. After 10 min of driving its terrible. The only thing that I felt made a slight difference is AC on full blast (not recirculating).. that seems to reduce the effect immediately. Then With windows open maybe a little better. I’m at a total loss on this one..I’m thinking the all glass top and sealing of car makes it a giant amplified low frequency fishbowl. Likely will have to sell the car which I don’t want to do. I have a service appt June 12. Sad!
If that SC can't help make an appointment for a few other service centers until someone can resolve it. I'm sorry about. I have a 23 MY and had a small boominess but I turned the knobs on the hatch and the car and it is better and I added the non Tesla side buckets and added the extra top closure on the side wells and I have no boominess. Maybe try that if you have space in the trunk.

If that SC can't help make an appointment for a few other service centers until someone can resolve it. I'm sorry about. I have a 23 MY and had a small boominess but I turned the knobs on the hatch and the car and it is better and I added the non Tesla side buckets and added the extra top closure on the side wells and I have no boominess. Maybe try that if you have space in the trunk.
Thanks for the reply. What are side buckets and top closure? And are they the same for the model S? My concern is why would I feel the pressure as soon as I sit in the car? It’s mind boggling to me. I don’t recall having this issue during the test drive but the very first issue I had was the stereo sounded awful… too high treble and I thought that was the culprit of my ear pain. IMO the model 3 stereo sounded better. I love the car but the headache I receive Kate’s for hours after driving.

What is it and where did you get it? Do you have a photo?

Go to Amazon ---these storage bins are placed in the wheel wells and it made a difference for me. The have lids as well so more covering the buffering/noise sound.​

OtriFowd 2022 2023 Latest Version Tesla Model Y Rear Trunk Organizer Storage Boxes with Lids, Side Storage Protector Packets, Storage Bins for Model Y (5-Seater) Interior Accessories​

Update!! All the attention on the hatchback made me start to look at the hood/frunk. Holy cow the hood is misaligned almost 1/4in on driver’s side .. I’m not an engineer but wow terrible QC (I think I have 6 items on my initial service ticket, never had one issue with model 3). I pressed on the hood and there is massive play/bounce. Also the 4 rubber stops were nowhere near touching the frame. Adjusted those out. Drive for 10 min and no ear pain and only very slight booming. I’ll update again after a few days. Hope this helps someone else.

FYI, I came back from the Dublin Tesla and told me they are aware of the issue and there is a fix for the bump stop from Tesla China, Its not perfect but should help with the issue. I have one one order, apparently asians are more prone to this issue from what they telling me. I'm asian.