Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ear pain/Pressure help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Go to Amazon ---these storage bins are placed in the wheel wells and it made a difference for me. The have lids as well so more covering the buffering/noise sound.​

OtriFowd 2022 2023 Latest Version Tesla Model Y Rear Trunk Organizer Storage Boxes with Lids, Side Storage Protector Packets, Storage Bins for Model Y (5-Seater) Interior Accessories​

With installing these Storage Boxes, please do also full fill the "Quartz sand grains (0.5mm - 1mm)" into the boxes, it will reduce the sounds and works perfectly.
1.jpg

Have any of you 2022 or older owners tried to
Quoting myself just for context. Picked up my car today from warranty service at an auto body shop to correct a misaligned tailgate. The alignment is not perfect, but it’s much improved. Passed the envelop test at all four bumpers. My miles were limited today but I can hear/feel an improvement in the low frequency rumble and booming when on bumpy roads. It’s hard to quantify the improvement, but it’s more than 50%.
My 2013 Model S had the boominess and the hatch was always misaligned. I always attributed at least some of the boom/buffeting to the darn hatch. In my case with the hatch open I would measure from the stopper to the contact area and one side was significantly higher than the other. The latch mechanism would "pull it even" when it closed, but you could tell it was simply "tighter" on one side vs. the other.

Reactions: tm3lrawd
Installed the 5/16" PVC tubing, and it made a huge difference. Definitely happy with the results but still planning on doing the 3d printed hard stops and butyl on the rear wheel wells.

I think I screwed up though in cutting the "seam" at the top of the weather stripping when installing the PVC. I didn't notice that they can be installed through the holes. Do I need to re-glue the seam together to maintain weatherproofness?

Reactions: Brown1428
I just picked up my car from the service center. They said they installed these new things on the hatch to stiffen it and also let some more air out. They said that Tesla engineering had recently made these because some people have this issue. I can't remember if they really were not there before. View attachment 630677 View attachment 630678
What is the part number for these pieces?

I have been working on this since February for my Dec '23 Austin build LRMY. I decided to let Tesla try first and they did put on the hatch bumpers and a 'D' cross-sectioned rubber seal on each side of the hatch. I had to adjust the rubber hatch stops (envelope method) when I got home, but I did find it to be less boomy than stock - but not good enough. This weekend I decided to pull open the carpet and trim to have a look at the wheel arches. I was surprised to find a giant, ~10" cube of batting inserted over the driver side wheel arch. I didn't remove the sub-woofer so I don't know if there is a cube on that side.

The big surprise was 2" thick batting attached to the side carpet trim in the area that lines the side-bins. I can't tell for sure if the batting touches the flappy-vents that connect the cabin to the space behind the car's bumper, but it looks like there are marks on the material (see passenger side image) from the grid of the vent face. I took a drive with the two carpet side panels pulled into the middle of the car - it seemed quieter than when the carpet was installed in correct place.

Anyone else find this batting behind the carpet? I've never seen it in images or videos in this thread (@ilovecoffee).I will do some more exploring on this to see if I can determine if the batting has been sealing up against the vents. If it does, I think it needs to go.

Attachments

• Passenger side carpet batting.jpeg
    Passenger side carpet batting.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 182
  • Driver side carpet batting.jpeg
    Driver side carpet batting.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 182
Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
I have been working on this since February for my Dec '23 Austin build LRMY. I decided to let Tesla try first and they did put on the hatch bumpers and a 'D' cross-sectioned rubber seal on each side of the hatch. I had to adjust the rubber hatch stops (envelope method) when I got home, but I did find it to be less boomy than stock - but not good enough. This weekend I decided to pull open the carpet and trim to have a look at the wheel arches. I was surprised to find a giant, ~10" cube of batting inserted over the driver side wheel arch. I didn't remove the sub-woofer so I don't know if there is a cube on that side.

The big surprise was 2" thick batting attached to the side carpet trim in the area that lines the side-bins. I can't tell for sure if the batting touches the flappy-vents that connect the cabin to the space behind the car's bumper, but it looks like there are marks on the material (see passenger side image) from the grid of the vent face. I took a drive with the two carpet side panels pulled into the middle of the car - it seemed quieter than when the carpet was installed in correct place.

Anyone else find this batting behind the carpet? I've never seen it in images or videos in this thread (@ilovecoffee).I will do some more exploring on this to see if I can determine if the batting has been sealing up against the vents. If it does, I think it needs to go.

Thank you for sharing. I honestly don't quite get what you are talking about but please keep us posted and take some before/after pictures. I guess your theory is the vents are blocked so it is airtight inside of the car. Just curious do you find adding hatch bumper/rubber seal more helpful or adjusting the hatch stops?

@ilovecoffee did your suggestion on the tubing and it works! Thank you!

If I wanted to get the trunk cargo cover for even better noise reduction, do u know if the oem trunk cover is better or the one from aliexpress you linked on your YouTube?

I have a 2022 myp so I would have to lay either 200 for aliexpress or 200+ 1xx for install from oem tesla.

If I wanted to get the trunk cargo cover for even better noise reduction, do u know if the oem trunk cover is better or the one from aliexpress you linked on your YouTube?

I have a 2022 myp so I would have to lay either 200 for aliexpress or 200+ 1xx for install from oem tesla.
Great to hear!

I think the OEM one is thinner but can't say for certain as I haven't seen it in person. The AliExpress one is made of some particle board material with soft padding and is maybe like 3/4” to 1" thick.

Reactions: ahhlun

can you post the link for the video on you tube?

Anyone considered or tried replacing rear shocks (or all 4 wheels) rather than a full coil-over kit? From what I'm seeing it's much cheaper and an appropriate choice if you want the stock ride height and street comfort rather than lowered & track performance.

Anyone considered or tried replacing rear shocks (or all 4 wheels) rather than a full coil-over kit? From what I'm seeing it's much cheaper and an appropriate choice if you want the stock ride height and street comfort rather than lowered & track performance.

There is some evidence to suggest the booming/buffeting is "better" with a softer suspension, but there are folks with 2023 models on here who are still reporting it so "better' perhaps but not cured. Indeed, back when I experienced this on my 2013 Model S P85+ (the "+" model had a firmer suspension), I had a regular non "+" Model S as a loaner and while it was better than my car, it still had the buffeting.
The best reason to replace the suspension would be the overall improvement in ride comfort.

• Informative
Just came back from a test drive of a brand new Model Y Perf (after dropping off our S for service), and my SO and I were looking at each other wondering what this low frequency noise is. Can't believe there's this long thread about thIS noise. Crazy how much work is needed to try and suppress some of this low frequency boominess on the Y's. Is the 3 like this as well? Not an issue on our S or X.

Just came back from a test drive of a brand new Model Y Perf (after dropping off our S for service), and my SO and I were looking at each other wondering what this low frequency noise is. Can't believe there's this long thread about thIS noise. Crazy how much work is needed to try and suppress some of this low frequency boominess on the Y's. Is the 3 like this as well? Not an issue on our S or X.
Generally appears to not be an issue on the 3. I had it on our older Model S too, but it seemed considerably more rare on that car.

I'm far from an expert on the boominess but when I test drove a MY and M3 back-to-back a couple of years ago the first thing I noticed about the M3 out on the road after driving the MY first was how much quieter it was with none of the boom the MY had. Unfortunately, the M3 just doesn't work for me from a utility standpoint because I enjoyed driving it more.

So a couple of weeks ago I decided to give the MY another chance thinking they may have rectified this issue or I had grown less sensitive to it. I was sad to find if anything, I found it worse than two years ago and it's something I couldn't live with. The strange thing is my hearing isn't great, especially in the higher frequencies, so I was surprised how much the low boominess bothers me.