Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early Experience on HW2 Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

My early experiences are:

1) It is much improved from previous versions. The wobbling of the blue lines is largely gone. The stability of the control of the steering wheel is much smoother.

'2) It still 'pauses' as you pass underneath large overhead signs or overpasses. I think it thinks they are an obstacle for a moment.

3) It will still kick off on sharp corners. It does not take corners as a human would - driving towards the apex. It tends to sweep around corners instead.

4) Calibration completed for my car within a few miles and I could use Autopilot up to 80 mph. Today there is still further calibration that must be happening - I am now seeing lines for the lanes to the left and right of the current lane and occasionally will see icons for vehicles in those lanes. This is perhaps related to the second camera being used?

5) The car will have large objects (like trucks) disappear from view - if you were following a truck at 60 mph and had the TACC at 80 mph - then the car will suddenly lunge forward - potentially into the back of the truck. BE CAREFUL.

6) I exited the highway at 75mph and just lowered the speed and was able to keep autopilot engaged on side roads at 50 mph for about five miles until I had to use the brakes.

7) In Milwaukee they use tar a lot between the concrete slabs of the highway. Autopilot is keying off those lines instead of the white painted dashed lines. The tar is offset by 4-6" on either side of the white lines so that is causing the car to bias towards the side of the lanes. This is not comfortable.

8) We had heavy rain tonight. The performance degrades as the cameras are obscured. This is not surprising.

Overall the system is approaching the experience of HW1 Autopilot but is not quite there yet. It is useable - but with great caution.

I only have a brief highway test, but so far so good. It was smooth, centered in the lane and the lane change function worked well. I played with the summon feature quite a bit. I amused myself thinking "this is my most expensive radio controlled vehicle yet." It worked okay once I turned off the press and hold feature (or whatever it's called). When parking in my garage it really favors the right side. Maybe to provide driver side access? A good feature would be 1) center 2) right 3) left for positioning. I think Elon will make this 438,901 on his list of features to add.