Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early M3P purchases

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who bought a Performance Model 3 and is feeling a little jaded? I pay way more then my monthly payment ever month and I’m still upside down 17k due to Tesla’s price reduction. And it wasn’t like it was years later it was months. The same car can now be bought for almost 20k less with FSD vs EAP when they launched the performance version. I think those who bought the M3P and even those who got their 5k back for the first reductions of price who gave their free supercharging back should get FSD for free. They want to charge me 4K to get it. That’s absolutely ridiculous considering they basically got that money from us “early” adopters. I can understand the early adopter mangalore when it’s measured in years. Not months.

Who bought a Performance Model 3 and is feeling a little jaded? I pay way more then my monthly payment ever month and I’m still upside down 17k due to Tesla’s price reduction. And it wasn’t like it was years later it was months. The same car can now be bought for almost 20k less with FSD vs EAP when they launched the performance version. I think those who bought the M3P and even those who got their 5k back for the first reductions of price who gave their free supercharging back should get FSD for free. They want to charge me 4K to get it. That’s absolutely ridiculous considering they basically got that money from us “early” adopters. I can understand the early adopter mangalore when it’s measured in years. Not months.

You just dont know how to do math

I pickier up my P3D in sept 2018. Paid $80.5k for it (MSM, EAP, FSD, with white interior)

I received $7.5k in fed credit, 2.5k in California credit and $5k refund from tesla. So it cost me $65.5k

New build of that car is $65990. $1875 in fed and $2k from california make that cost $62155.

Sure there is some sales tax differential, but the "value drop" is $3345. Nowhere near $17k. And I have 0 issues having paid that to have it for 13 months

Edit: CVRP (California rebate) actually wont apply to a P3D as of Dec 3rd. So knock out that completely to make the "value drop" a whopping $1345 next month of a new P3D vs mine. I have saved that much in gas alone owning the car.

Last edited:
You got extra credit for being in California. In Indiana I actually pay a premium for having an electric car. :( They charge us more in taxes.

80500-7500-5000=68000 so that’s my m3p with EAP without white interior with white paint.

today and months earlier you can buy that for 63990 with FSD. So 4K less yet Tesla wants to get 4K more from me for FSD on top of their shitty build quality. Drivers seat has been replaced. Seat belt mech twice. Vent system replaced. My model x raven 2 months old, molding is falling off. Seat covers don’t stay attached. Hell they have had 4 years to get that car right.

Not to mention the SC damaged my m3 bumper and refused it happened there. Their service center footage just so happened to “not” get that side of the car when I pulled in. They lost my loan papers I had to go back (an hr away) to fill them back out.

3 months to get trade in processed while I had to continue to make payments. It’s just been a bad experience all around.

the time I have had to spend with them because of their issues if I billed at my hourly rate I’d damn near have another car paid for.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Some People always do these type calculations and add tax and everything to their purchases, never factor in the tax credit / rebate differences, and then compare to the base price of a new one without tax etc.

So, no OP your difference is not anywhere near 17k.

To answer the other question, I dont give a #@$%QW$ what anyone else paid for the car. Tesla doesnt "owe" anyone anything retroactively, and I am also a person who paid for a model 3p in december of last year. I bought it with EAP, and got FSD later during the "firesale" 2k price.

I was not eligble for the "refund" from tesla because that was people who paid extra for the performance pack, when on my car it was "included".

This same basic post was made by someone else recently, just from the perspective of someone who bought a Midrange model, and is upset that the SR+ is close to the same price, with a similar battery range.

If you want to see what some think, this thread might be of interest to you:

Tesla - Post Tax Credit

You got extra credit for being in California. In Indiana I actually pay a premium for having an electric car. :( They charge us more in taxes.

80500-7500-5000=68000 so that’s my m3p with EAP without white interior with white paint.

today and months earlier you can buy that for 63990 with FSD. So 4K less yet Tesla wants to get 4K more from me for FSD on top of their shitty build quality. Drivers seat has been replaced. Seat belt mech twice. Vent system replaced. My model x raven 2 months old, molding is falling off. Seat covers don’t stay attached. Hell they have had 4 years to get that car right.

Not to mention the SC damaged my m3 bumper and refused it happened there. Their service center footage just so happened to “not” get that side of the car when I pulled in. They lost my loan papers I had to go back (an hr away) to fill them back out.

3 months to get trade in processed while I had to continue to make payments. It’s just been a bad experience all around.

the time I have had to spend with them because of their issues if I billed at my hourly rate I’d damn near have another car paid for.

you would have paid $64000, not $68k because I had the white interior and FSD in mine. So knock of $3k for FSD back then and $1k for the interior.

and you had the chance to buy FSD for $2k (even less than I paid!!) and you turned it down. Then they repeatedly warned it as going up in price and now you are complaining?

Sounds like you have had some other bad service issues (i have had zero).

Also, California car registration is $720 (because it's expensive, nothing to do with EV) so I don't want to hear it on indiana fees.

Reactions: bhzmark and RyanT
you would have paid $64000, not $68k because I had the white interior and FSD in mine. So knock of $3k for FSD back then and $1k for the interior.

and you had the chance to buy FSD for $2k (even less than I paid!!) and you turned it down. Then they repeatedly warned it as going up in price and now you are complaining?

Also, California car registration is $720 (because it's expensive, nothing to do with EV) so I don't want to hear it on indiana fees.
Hey I feel you my second year registration for the X is 712 and model 3 is 606. (Registration is every year) and $150 a year for each car is slapped on for having a EV. If I burned gas guzzlers like bmw or Audi I would save 300 on registration. But I guess I would pay that in gas tax which is why they charge extra. However doing the math on gas tax the average miles a user drives Indiana would get 112ish in taxes for a gas car but they are charging 150 to ev drivers. Uncle Sam gets his again.

Also when we’re you offered FSD for 2k? I wasn’t. It was like 4K at purchase then I got an email about it being 3k. Now it’s 4K on the site. And honestly with how much Elon blows smoke. How many people dished out money 6 years ago for FSD.....

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark
Also when we’re you offered FSD for 2k? I wasn’t. It was like 4K at purchase then I got an email about it being 3k. Now it’s 4K on the site. And honestly with how much Elon blows smoke. How many people dished out money 6 years ago for FSD.....

FSD went on sale in 2017 not 6 years ago.

Anyone who bought EAP before Feb this year was offered FSD for about $2k for a month before it went up to $3k. Keep in mind I paid $3k at purchase and was told it would be $4k afterwards.

FSD has never been $4k until just recently. It was $3k if you could buy with EAP (pre march) and then $5k (now $6k) if you combine with AP (post march).

Reactions: bhzmark and Maaz

You had better get GAP insurance to cover that gap if you financed your car.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
I'm confused, it sure looks like the P3D is still pretty much the same price I paid for it back in September 2018 after you take into account the phased out tax credit. Certainly within a couple thousand dollars, which is in the noise when you are talking about a $60k car... I'm perfectly happy to have been enjoying my car for over a year at this point for a couple thousand "extra." Also, I've had exactly *zero* problems (knock on wood).

And when your house drops in value, which is a much larger $ value, who should make you whole? If tesla raises the price should they should ask you for money to make them whole? If you go to a regular BMW dealer and find out you paid more than your neighbour should BMW refund you the difference? Your 'argument' is a non-starter and is simply selfish whining. You agreed to pay X so it was worth X to you.