Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early Model S battery replacements

What’s your experience with the early Model S (2013-2015) battery?

• Early battery replacement, trouble free since then

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • No battery replacement yet, even with 200k+ miles on it

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Battery replacement after 100k+ miles and 5y+

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
will DM you for the CAN dump.

erm, in the meantime, bump your charge level to at least 80%, if not 90% for 7-8 cycles. your pack is fine, just out of balance - it's module balanced, but not pack balanced. it needs to be charged higher in order for it to balance properly/regularly.

never charging above 70% is a great way to have your pack drift out balance and lose range in the process. 70% is ideal level for storage, not charging 😂

the 80-20 rule is your friend. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: howardc64
will DM you for the CAN dump.

erm, in the meantime, bump your charge level to at least 80%, if not 90% for 7-8 cycles. your pack is fine, just out of balance - it's module balanced, but not pack balanced. it needs to be charged higher in order for it to balance properly/regularly.

never charging above 70% is a great way to have your pack drift out balance and lose range in the process. the 80-20 rule is your friend. ;)

Cool, I've avoided > 80% as Tesla decided to kick on battery chiller + coolant pump 24/7 for older packs so car makes noises all day long. Did 95% a couple of times and bled it off via drive right after. But just 1 cycle and back to 70% limit constant and saw no rebalancing effect. But will do as you suggest :)

And yes indeed, I thought all 6 brick in every module are close. Per your statement, module balanced but not pack balanced makes total sense :)

I'm wondering if anyone else saw the previously nerfed supercharging rates bumped back to original levels once the 8 year warranty expired?

I received an update shortly after my 2015 85D came off the battery warranty. The first supercharging session following the update looked like it did back in the early days. I peaked at 130 kW and stayed steady above 90 for quite a while. The last few years have been like charging at a CHAdeMO station - after a peak at *maybe* 70 kW, the remainder of the charge would be 50 kW or less.

I'm not willing to believe this is coincidence. I think, now that the warranty has expired, we're on our own. This will limit our stays at superchargers because we get what we need to continue the trip quickly. And since the pack replacement is on us, who cares if it fails in the next short while?

Given all the advocacy I did for Tesla since the start, and even defending their abysmal service in recent years, I'm not feeling very valued at this point.

I haven't checked to see if the pumps still run if I set the home charge level to above 75%, but I will.

Mine never recovered and has had step-downs in range. Car went from 256 rated miles to 244 overnight, then 236. I can hit Supercharging speeds up to 128kW for a few seconds about half the time with a warm battery, SOC <12% with an unrestricted stall (not shared with someone else charging), the other half of the time the charging seems peaks at 78-96kW. The speed tapers in less than a minute and likes to settle around 54-64kW. While disappointing, I've made adjustments to rarely spend my time Supercharging about 70% and I don't take our old S further than 450 miles away from home. It's made me strongly consider paying for a pack upgrade if/when we decide to take a longer trip but I'm still satisfied with what we have for what we're doing. I wouldn't attempt a cross-country tour unless it was to get the 100kWh battery pack upgrade.

I have a 2015 model s 70 that I bought used from Tesla back in 2021. I had about 68k miles on it before there was a BMS error in early 2022 where I had to get it replaced. From what I understand I now have a refurbished battery. To be frank I'm concerned about the longevity of it. I have no way to slow charge at home so I have to supercharge. Fortunately I work from home so I only supercharge as needed, generally once a week or two times if I'm having social outings. I had generally kept it between the 90 and 20% range but have occasionally dropped it to a little lower depending on what kind of trips I had.