Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Easiest way to format Samsung T7 SSD to Fat32?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

joebruin77

Dec 23, 2018
Encino, CA
I just ordered a Samsung T7 500GB SSD to replace my Samsung USB drive for TeslaCam. My understanding is that I will have to reformat the drive into the Fat32 format before it can be used with TeslaCam. What is the simplest and easiest way to reformat this SSD drive to Fat32? Has anyone successfully reformatted this exact drive?

Thank you for your help,
joebruin77

I just ordered a Samsung T7 500GB SSD to replace my Samsung USB drive for TeslaCam. My understanding is that I will have to reformat the drive into the Fat32 format before it can be used with TeslaCam. What is the simplest and easiest way to reformat this SSD drive to Fat32? Has anyone successfully reformatted this exact drive?

Thank you for your help,
joebruin77

The car formats into Fat32 now on the security menu.

Thank you for your help,
joebruin77

Just plug it in and press the "Format Drive" button in the car. It's really that easy. Stop using FAT32.

Any replies on this? Did you partition your T7?

See my post on a different thread below. This is how I did mine. I'm sure there are other ways to do it.

Any replies on this? Did you partition your T7?
Yes, my T7 is formatted for two partitions - with space left over for a 3rd. IIRC each of the two are 200gb.
I use one for the security system and the other for music. In the music partition I have several 'folders'
set up under a 'master' folder (IIRC). It's been quite some time since I did this (right after I got the car
just about the first thing I did was to add the T7). It works just fine. IIRC I used the 'extended' version of
FAT (can't even remember what it's called right now ... haven't finished my first cup of coffee today).
IIRC the names of the partitions are important. I rarely access the security cam stuff since I don't
really have a 'deep need' to watch whenever someone walks past my car. *G*. I use the music
partition almost always - when I listen to music ... which isn't "all the time" ... I'm saying I rarely use
any other source of music.

Tunny thing did happen - I got a new iPhone and didn't think about the bluetooth pairing being
dependent upon the NAME of the phone ... so for quite a while my phone "wasn't working
correctly" whenever I was in the car. I finally tumbled to redoing the pairing and now everything
works as it always has. Well the phone bluetooth.

"Why does Tesla have to mess with the user interface every time they update the car software?"
And more importantly "Why doesn't Tesla -ever- do anything that I care about/will ever use when
they update the car software?" I, for one, would like to see some changes - such as the music
system does NOT launch by default every time I use the car - and other user friendliness items.

- Jim in the PNW (the Snow Geese and Trumpeter Swans are -amazing- this year!)