Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Easiest way to set up for DashCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With Sentry Mode on the way, I think it is time to set up a dashcam. We have two iPhones, so I have two iPhone USB cables currently connected. What is the easiest way ( a product link would be much appreciated) to keep those two cables active and able to charge two iPhones, and add a third cable or port for the dashcam? I know there are Y cables and mini-hubs. What is the most straightforward way to accomplish this?

iPhone 8 or newer? Would suggest switching to wireless charging and using a splitter to supply power to both sides (if you don't care about charging speed) or connecting to the 12v for faster charging. Problem with a simple USB Y-splitter is they don't do well supplying power directly to two iPhones. But for some reason it's enough for the wireless charging pads (again, if you don't care about charging speed and just want the simplest solution).

Great. Yeah, highly recommend switching it to wireless charging. I got mine from TapTes for $50, then bought a cheap $5 USB splitter from Amazon to power both sides of the wireless charger using the 1st USB port. Then a USB stick in the 2nd port for Dashcam.

No need to get fancy or spend a lot of time looking for the perfect hb and/or drive.
I've got the Nomad wireless charger (it's awesome, but that would be a separate discussion), one of its cords is plugged directly into one of the USB ports the other, along with the dash cam usb stick, is plugged into a $15 USB hub I got from Best Buy. Everything works great. The hub, IIRC, is an Insignia brand, nothing fancy and the usb stick is, I think, a 32GB san disk I had laying around.

Ok I’m an idiot. Just realized I can plug one side of the wireless charger into USB Port 1 and use a splitter on USB Port 2 to give almost the full 7.5W to the other wireless charger, and a trickle of power needed for the USB drive. So basically 7.5W to each wireless charger. Previously I was splitting one USB port to both wireless chargers resulting in only 3.75W to each wireless charger (when two phones charging), and unnecessarily giving the USB drive it’s own full power port.

Reactions: Dre78
Ok I’m an idiot. Just realized I can plug one side of the wireless charger into USB Port 1 and use a splitter on USB Port 2 to give almost the full 7.5W to the other wireless charger, and a trickle of power needed for the USB drive. So basically 7.5W to each wireless charger. Previously I was splitting one USB port to both wireless chargers resulting in only 3.75W to each wireless charger (when two phones charging), and unnecessarily giving the USB drive it’s own full power port.

How you describe this is how I have mine set up (also with the Nomad). The car should come with something like the Nomad, honestly, or some sort of wireless charging setup. With that being said, I am exceedingly happy with the nomad with the setup you describe in this post. I have not measured power, but its enough to ensure that the phone charges on my commutes so I never have to worry about the drain from bluetooth audio, etc.

Simple solution for charging? Don't forget: there are 2 USB charging ports behind the arm rest. Run cable >> phone. No need to tap into the front USB ports for power.

True, but a bit cluttered and unsightly. Easiest solution is just split each front USB port into two with $6 splitter cables. Full 7.5W to each phone and can accommodate two USB drives. Rear USBs remain available for rear passengers to use.

Got you covered.
For powering two devices plus a dashcam consider one of these splitters.
3-Port USB Hub: https://amzn.to/2CeqJ6M
As seen

And lastly setting up that dashcam:
MicroSD card: https://amzn.to/2q9WJS7
MicroSD to USB adapter: https://amzn.to/2qjcI0B

I went with your options #1 and #3. Your videos were very easy to understand, inexpensive and fast to order/ship on Amazon, and simple to install. I'm ok with fast iPhone charging on the left, and slower on the right. Thanks for your very helpful information !!

Reactions: Kbra
How big of a USB drive is necessary/recommended?
I'm assuming the answer also apply to Sentry mode, which is more what I'm interested in.

Currently a 16GB key has more than plenty of space given only 3 cameras are in use... (4GB was plenty big enough when it was only 1 camera in use).

1.8GB is about what the full hour each camera will record before overwriting itself takes up... so 16GB would give you all 3 cameras using about 5.4GB, and leave you enough space to "save" another almost 2 more hours from all 3 cameras (in 10 minute clips as that's what it saves each time you 'save')