Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to be in Toronto from Montreal on December 22 so it'll probably be ready the week after that.

I bet you that the Kingston SC will be up and running couples days prior Christmas...

When I was going to see the progression for Cornwall, one of the guy once said to me that they were pushed by Tesla to open before the Labor Day (they actually opened the thursday, just before the Labor Day weekend)... pretty sure the word's the same for the Kingston SC...

Tesla SC crates are now on site in Kingston...
photo (15).JPG

I can make the claim (which I believe) that I heard from a reliable source, but until there are pictures of a site under construction, it is all just hearsay... :crying:

that's the point ... multiple reliable sources have been very wrong on this particular project for a while now (initial belief was that it was going to be ready last spring) and until I actually see that it is hooked up by HQ and is active, I am now of the assumption that even being under construction is not a good indication that it is coming soon.

It may already be dropped to 600 for the shopping center. The supercharger site will likely be fed 600 from there. Tesla would be required to supply the 600-480 drop.

Typically these big box malls in Ontario have pad-mounts dedicated to the stores (or block of stores) they serve with each service metered at the secondary level. Typically this is 120/208 volts 3-phase, 4-wire, but 347/600 volt is not unheard of either. My guess is that a dedicated pad-mount transformer fed from the utility's primary (13,800 v and 27,600 v are common) would be used to supply the Supercharger.

Where is the Woodstock one going to be? Is it in the rest stop(s) on the 401 between Woodstock and Ingersoll or will you have to get off the hwy?

The location I was told was right where the 401 crosses the 403. I know that is a big area, but it is at least a start. If they do it like in Kingston and Chicago, the SC will be on a side street off the highway.
Currently, the superchargers for Woodstock are in storage in Ontario now, which may mean they will get done quickly.

Typically these big box malls in Ontario have pad-mounts dedicated to the stores (or block of stores) they serve with each service metered at the secondary level. Typically this is 120/208 volts 3-phase, 4-wire, but 347/600 volt is not unheard of either. My guess is that a dedicated pad-mount transformer fed from the utility's primary (13,800 v and 27,600 v are common) would be used to supply the Supercharger.

Except for Supercharger sites that use "Mobile" Superchargers, or those associated with Tesla Showrooms/Service Centers, every Supercharger Site that I have seen has its own, dedicated transformer. Supercharger Cabinets require 480/277, 3-phase power at about 150kW AC in per cabinet. For a 6-stall Supercharger Site, that is a peak power requirement of 450kW, and because the power factor for Supercharger Cabinets is almost 1, that is a peak load of 450 kVA. At these power levels, dedicated transformers are pretty obvious.

It looks like BC Hydro would only offer Tesla 600/346 Volt service and Tesla installed a 600:480 transformer in their equipment enclosure for the conversion. The plans for Kingston show the local utility providing a 480/277 transformer for Tesla. Will that happen, or will the local utility provide 600/346 and require Tesla to have a 600:480 transformer? My guess is the former, because if it were the later, then the plans would have shown the 600:480 transformer.

Where is the Woodstock one going to be? Is it in the rest stop(s) on the 401 between Woodstock and Ingersoll or will you have to get off the hwy?

I don't know that I've ever heard of a supercharger (or charger?) at a rest stop/gas station. Do they exist?

It's a bit disappointing, but expected I suppose. I guess I can't imagine Shell or Esso wanting to encourage this type of thing.

Even if you are one of the Hamilton / Stoney Creek / Grimsby 85 owners, you will be biting your nails to Kingston in the winter. Of course you could pull off in Toronto after only 80kms or so of driving and fight your way down to the Lawrence charger. I too support another charger in between Toronto and Kingston. Cobourg would be ideal IMHO. I totally understand why the other locations mentioned above are now a priority (bare bones east & western connections), but as many others have pointed out, there is some back-filling needed before our range concerns truly disappear.

Ok everyone going to the Toronto, Lawrence Supercharger!

Here is the shortcut:

Stay on 401!!!!

Get off at Victoria Park ( Just East of DVP exit) and go south. Proceed South 3 Km.
Turn right (West) on Curlew Drive and follow it to the intersection of Lawrence Ave East.
Turn right on Lawrence and Service Centre is on your left side 500 meters away.

This trip takes 10-15 min off rush hour times down the DVP.