Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was this new charging location found last night in Scarborough at Toronto Pan Am Sport Centre Toronto Pan Am Sport Centre | Toronto, ON | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare with 20 Tesla HPWCs and 10 J1772s. I wouldn't be surprised at finding a Supercharger here.
IMG_2203.JPG IMG_2205.JPG IMG_2207.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
There was this new charging location found last night in Scarborough at Toronto Pan Am Sport Centre Toronto Pan Am Sport Centre | Toronto, ON | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare with 20 Tesla HPWCs and 10 J1772s. I wouldn't be surprised at finding a Supercharger here.
Why 20 of them? Seems such a waste. The location is not ideal either. Not many owners would have a need to go there. in my opinion, a shopping mall would have been better but then again, ICING could be an issue.

Why 20 of them? Seems such a waste. The location is not ideal either. Not many owners would have a need to go there. in my opinion, a shopping mall would have been better but then again, ICING could be an issue.
I'd rather go to the gym than go to the mall. I can go to the gym any day of the week; the same doesn't apply to the mall. Groceries are a different story.

I'd be interested to see the load sharing strategy involved at this station. There's no way this station is equipped to pull 1900 amps. The incremental costs of installing 20 Wall Connectors instead of 10 is probably not that much, IMO, so doubling up was pretty nice to see. Most cars won't pull more than 48 anyway.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
The location isn't that bad. It is a stone's throw from the 401 and there are a few eating spots within a few hundred meters. And you would get folks coming from all over for swim meets at that location. But twenty HPWCs is overkill for one location.

In terms of the Scarborough SC I would hope to see it as part of the Scarborough City Centre complex maybe near the Best Buy store or Baton Rouge that is across Progress Ave from the mall.

Or are they chargers above a certain power or amperage capacity?
Yes and it varies by jurisdiction. I believe on PEI anything over a 60A breaker requires a disconnect within X feet, but in Ontario it's anything over 50A.. honestly I can't remember the details. Enforcement of this rule seems pretty inconsistent too. I wish they'd do away with it entirely unless there was some evidence it is actually needed. We need to drive down the cost of all forms of charging.

Reactions: navguy12
I thought it was 60A in Ontario too. I have a 60A line to my HWPC and they installed a emergency cut-off switch. Last week, after 18 months of use, the cut-off switch failed.

Turns out that there was too much plastic surrounding a metal spring-loaded plate, preventing the spring to push the plate to make a good contact. The plate was blackened (due to arching) which eventually built up too much carbon and prevented current flow.

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe