Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Humour aside, I am averaging 203 WHr/km since putting on the winter tires (well into the worst of the winter), much of it in the minus low teens and minus 20's and on the highway.

I for one would like to see a 120KWHr battery pack upgrade option, as well as more Superchargers.

How do you get that low? In my 60 I can't get under 260 on the 401 in anything below -10C.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure what's going on in Kingston. There are now 2 HUGE switches (?) there. One looks like it's installed and the other sitting on planks. Maybe the first one that came in didn't work? It looks like all the concrete work and bollards are done. Nobody there working today, guessing it's either ready to flip the switch, or there's an issue.

IMG_20150227_121447217.jpg
IMG_20150227_121457755.jpg

How do you get that low? In my 60 I can't get under 260 on the 401 in anything below -10C.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure what's going on in Kingston. There are now 2 HUGE switches (?) there. One looks like it's installed and the other sitting on planks. Maybe the first one that came in didn't work? It looks like all the concrete work and bollards are done. Nobody there working today, guessing it's either ready to flip the switch, or there's an issue.

View attachment 73530View attachment 73531

Kingston has been a disaster from the get go. No doubt about that.
If and when the regular SC's get operational it will be nothing short of a miracle!

Kingston has been a disaster from the get go. No doubt about that.
If and when the regular SC's get operational it will be nothing short of a miracle!

Don't feel too bad... look at what's going on (or rather not going on inside a tent that nobody can photograph) in Drummondville...

At least you have a working temporary SC, pretty big silver lining.

In these cold days the Barrie Supercharger sure comes in handy on my Friday trips to Thornbury. Last evening battery was cold soaked for 6 hours and estimate to get home was 3% of battery left - Message in yellow "Drive slowly". Estimate to Barrie was 23% of battery left. When I arrived at Barrie SC I actually had 15% left. I did not use range mode and had the heater at 19C. External temp during this evening trip was -20C.

So I attempted the run between Sudbury and Barrie, as part of a longer trip over the last couple of days. The Google maps distance between my house and the SC is 298 km. I drove in the evening both directions. Temperature on the way down varied between -22 and -27. On the way back it started at -17 and dropped to -25.

The trip could simply not be done without a short charging stop at a 70A charger in Parry sound. In both cases I would have run dry with about 20 km left. That's despite.... range mode on, heating at 17.5 and front defrost on (req'd or the windows frosted over) and I drove on cruise at 90 km/hr. I tried following trucks running at a higher speed, but that made it worse, not better.

Conclusions...

1. The range on this car in deep cold of winter is horrible.
2. If Toronto is to have access to the T/C hwy, there has to be another station in Parry Sound or the French river. Putting one in Sudbury might be fine in summer, but not winter.
3. I'm sick of -20s. If we have to have global warming, I want my piece.

Personally, I don't know why Tesla decided to put a SC in Barrie of all places in the first place.
Surely, Orillia, Parry Sound or Huntsville would have been better choices as Barrie is too close to the Lawrence SC.

Personally, I don't know why Tesla decided to put a SC in Barrie of all places in the first place.
Surely, Orillia, Parry Sound or Huntsville would have been better choices as Barrie is too close to the Lawrence SC.

It's for cottage country traffic. It lets people get up to Muskoka & back in the summer on one charge. It's in Barrie because from there it can service highways 400 and 11 destinations both.

It will serve that purpose well I suspect.

Thanks for the update.

Any news on Comber? The Tesla rep at the Barrie launch indicated that it should be up by now, but no guarantees ...

Pictures from Comber from today. A friend of mine stopped by, took the pictures and chatted with the guys working on it. They told him the end of March is the most likely completion date. Maybe a bit earlier, if the weather cooperates.

imagejpeg_4.jpg
imagejpeg_5.jpg
imagejpeg_6.jpg

There definitely needs to be one somewhere between Toronto and Kingston as the distance is just a little too much in winter.

On that, think there is broad agreement.

Heh heh, for the last couple months all I've been hearing on this thread is "We need Kingston!" "Kingston is critical!" "We can't go anywhere without Kingston!" and now that Kingston is somewhat operational, I'm starting to hear "We need one between Toronto and Kingston!"

Not criticizing but, as an objective observer for whom Supercharging is not even on the long-range roadmap, I do find it a bit funny. Sorry.