Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just emailed the town of Madoc suggesting they host a Supercharging site.

It seems that region is popping up more often here as something that could be handy to drivers. I know the area well and I personally think Madoc is better suited than Tweed, Marmora or others.

Anyways, I provided a short summary of the different charging options and why a Supercharger would be best. Was I correct to assume that Tesla corporate largely covers the expense with little investment required by the host?

Grimsby is a go !

Supercharger team confirmed via email that the location has been chosen and they are soon approaching the construction phase, but will not be officially announced until SC opens (as usual I guess).

This is the news I needed to alleviate my very real cold range anxiety -- Sub zero temps can take 60% of capacity based on what folks have reported and from what I've been able to experience this year (fortunately it's been a lucky one here in GTA though). And the west side of the GTA is devoid of not only Superchargers but even conveniently placed L2 outlets...

And the west side of the GTA is devoid of not only Superchargers but even conveniently placed L2 outlets...
This doesn't change that as Grimsby is more the west side of Niagara than the GTA and this doesn't help folks going from London/Windsor to Toronto and beyond. But that could be solved by Superchargers at the new Oakville Service Centre.

This is good news, and hopefully they still keep the 90A L2 in Grimsby, because I quite like stopping for lunch there :)
I can do what now with an L2 charger ? And where prey tell be this fount of electrons ?

hmm, I had thought the J1772 was capped at 40A in Canada, and that I needed HPWC to get to 64A (64A max on my 70, 80A for 85+) ?

PS - And who be this "they" you speak of ? Is it a Tesla L2 ???

Right - Grimsby Power + Town of Grimsby ("they" in my original message) have installed and are sponsoring two SunCountry SCH100 chargers (100A breaker, 80A continuous, all usable if you have a dual charger - I called it a 90A breaker in the original posting instead) at the Balsam Lane public parking in Grimsby. Walking distance from a few pubs and restaurants. Conveniently located, but, indeed, it isn't the charger that serves you lunch :)

hmm, I had thought the J1772 was capped at 40A in Canada, and that I needed HPWC to get to 64A (64A max on my 70, 80A for 85+) ?

Those are 100 amp units which can deliver 80 amps continuous. A Model S with twin chargers can take full advantage of the 80 amps regardless of its battery capacity. There are a number of 90 and 100 amp units around these parts.

Grimsby is a go !

Supercharger team confirmed via email that the location has been chosen and they are soon approaching the construction phase, but will not be officially announced until SC opens (as usual I guess).

This is the news I needed to alleviate my very real cold range anxiety -- Sub zero temps can take 60% of capacity based on what folks have reported and from what I've been able to experience this year (fortunately it's been a lucky one here in GTA though). And the west side of the GTA is devoid of not only Superchargers but even conveniently placed L2 outlets...

Connects Toronto - Niagara Falls - Buffalo nicely

Thanks for the news. I don't, however, agree with the quoted number. I know no one who drives conservatively and loses 40% or 60% in winter. Those are Leaf numbers. On very cold days I'm down 25% at most, if the battery is warm enough. On days slightly below 0, I lose maybe 10-15%.

Thanks for the news. I don't, however, agree with the quoted number. I know no one who drives conservatively and loses 40% or 60% in winter. Those are Leaf numbers. On very cold days I'm down 25% at most, if the battery is warm enough. On days slightly below 0, I lose maybe 10-15%.

I've lost 40% in winter. When the temp is down in the single digits F and heading into the wind. Actually, the wind was probably the greater factor.

I agree, Paul but I think there are extenuating circumstances. Before I retired, I had a very long commute and my other winter "long drives" are 150 plus km. There seems to be a spike in energy use at the outset which levels off to near summer numbers as the car's systems are all warmed up. Overall, I would see about 15% higher consumption in the winter.

Now on short trips... say on the weekend where I'm just driving over to the mall or something... my use may be 10x summer numbers. That is because the pack and cabin heat is running full tilt for the entire short trip. But who cares? It's a short trip and I have a huge battery anyway.

So it probably matters what the length of the trip is.

Can't wait for Grimsby to open. I was near Fort Erie over the weekend and was trying to decide whether to hop over the border to the Buffalo SC or try and make it home.
The Buffalo SC was 47 km from where I was so I deemed it not worth it.
Made it back anyway.

Not Eastern Canada, but close...

I hear that a Supercharger is on the way to Watertown, NY, the north end of I-81. I assume that this is a help for some Canadians driving to the U.S.

I am surprised to see this before any news on Plattsburgh. Montreal to Albany is longer than Cornwall, Kingston, and even Ottawa to Syracuse and Plattsburgh was on the 2014 Supercharger map.

I am surprised to see this before any news on Plattsburgh. Montreal to Albany is longer than Cornwall, Kingston, and even Ottawa to Syracuse and Plattsburgh was on the 2014 Supercharger map.

I'm not surprised at all. The order of rollout likely has more to do with what they can get through all the locating site, negotiations, and approvals processes.

That said, they do seem to roll out a lot faster in the US side of the border. They had more Superchargers, faster, in remote parts of upstate NY than major arteries in Ontario/Quebec.