Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting really frustrated by the lack of progress of SC stations in Canada. According to the website, there are 611 in North America. up from 603 a week ago. They continue to put SC units 10 miles apart in US cities and nothing in Canada.
Ottawa, Madoc, Quebec City, Riviere De Loup, Grimsby, Laurier, Qc. Mogog, Qc. Sherbrooke, North Bay, Sudbury, The Sault etc really need them and yet nothing!
If Tesla really wants to expand their sales of cars, especially the Model 3 in a few years, they better get their act together and finish this darn network in our country. I think the US has enough. It's just not Canadians using these things Elon. Americans from the midwest coming to Eastern Canada would probably like to use the northern route through the Sault and Sudbury to reach Montreal and Toronto. This would be somewhat faster than the southern route.

So... this is interesting. I was able to pull a screenshot from the Model 3 presentation, when EM was discussing the 2017 expansion of the SC network. I blew it up and did a bit of editing on the South-Central Ontario region to try to determine where the new SCs were planned. If this is real - and not just marketing BS - then next year will be a busy year. I will say that some of the dots make no sense, so 75% of me thinks this is marketing BS.

Please excuse my lack of precision; it's early in the morning and my caffeine concentration is still low.
SC2017 Ontario.jpg

So... this is interesting. I was able to pull a screenshot from the Model 3 presentation, when EM was discussing the 2017 expansion of the SC network. I blew it up and did a bit of editing on the South-Central Ontario region to try to determine where the new SCs were planned. If this is real - and not just marketing BS - then next year will be a busy year. I will say that some of the dots make no sense, so 75% of me thinks this is marketing BS.

Please excuse my lack of precision; it's early in the morning and my caffeine concentration is still low. View attachment 169975
Yeah that doesn't make any sense, no way we're going to see 10 SC in SW Ontario.

I think the growth of superchargers need to speed up immensely, especially with the growth of all the Model 3 cars.
I foresee people taking advantage of the 'free power', to save ~$3-5 charging at home. I'm not sure how Tesla will combat that change, but people will charge because they can, and not for travel.

I think the growth of superchargers need to speed up immensely, especially with the growth of all the Model 3 cars.
I foresee people taking advantage of the 'free power', to save ~$3-5 charging at home. I'm not sure how Tesla will combat that change, but people will charge because they can, and not for travel.
They still have lots of time as, best case scenario, the Model 3 will start to be delivered in Canada in about two years or maybe even a lot longer. The Model X was first delivered over six months ago and we still have not had a single one delivered in Canada.

They still have lots of time as, best case scenario, the Model 3 will start to be delivered in Canada in about two years or maybe even a lot longer. The Model X was first delivered over six months ago and we still have not had a single one delivered in Canada.

Yeah, I don't consider the 6 hand-built founder vehicles (1 to Elon) in Sept 2015 (and almost none until Dec) as the beginning. The true beginning of deliveries is December 2015 IMO.

But they met the "target" of Q3 2015. It wouldn't surprise me if the deliveries of the M3 by the end of 2017 is a similar story, assuming they meet that deadline.

Yup, there is always a lot of wiggle room with corporate financials and reporting. Because they "delivered" those 6 vehicles (again, 1 to Elon) back in September, that qualified as meeting their shipping date and Elon was able to get a nice bonus. But those kinds of games always come back to bite you in the end. And that's what happened yesterday...they announced that they came up short last quarter.

Anyway, back on topic, I really wish they would fix the GPS locations on the SuperCharger roll-out map. I highly doubt that Tesla plans to install a SuperCharger in the St. Lawrence River across from Rivière-du-Loup.

A local paper reports Supercharger construction to start this Spring in Magog, QC.

Voiture électrique: Tesla investit 1 M$ à Magog - Économie - Le Reflet du Lac

It says they still need a minor zoning change approval from the city, but expect to break ground in early May.

The main business at the site is a bio grocery/café. Avril Magog

There has been CHAdeMO/CCS, J1772 public, and J1772 for employees at the site almost since when it opened a little over a year ago.
2381 rue Principale Ouest, Magog, Québec J1X 0J4 is correct, but Google street view is from 2013, so it just shows an empty lot.

I did charge at that spot in Magog on the C-É Chademo charger.

There is really nothing much over there at walking distance as far as I've seen... Pretty crappy place to stop especially outside of business hour of the grocery at that location.

There is a gas station in front though, maybe that was enough for Tesla. But restaurant are about 3KM away. I guess you could go pick something up and eat in the car...

Anyway, the SC I've been to (4 of them) always have been to close walking distance to multiple restaurant.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
The grocery store at the Magog site is brand new and sells organic food (similar to Whole Foods outside of Quebec).

I stopped there to charge on the CHAdeMO recently and discovered they have a nice coffee / sandwich bar. The little strip mall also has an artisanal bakery, and clean restrooms.

During business hours, I found it to be a very nice place to stop, but agree that after hours there is little close by.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric