Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OMG Cobourg went "Guest Only". And appears to be offline. This means the only high powered charger between Ottawa and Toronto is now the Best Western in Kingston. If that goes "Guest Only", is ICE'd (which has happened to me already), or goes offline, people are going to get stranded this winter.

It may soon be almost impossible to drive Ottawa-Toronto or Montreal-Toronto in winter conditions, at least without an overnight stay AND a substantial risk of getting stranded.

We're going back to where we were four years ago, when it was impossible to do highway travel in the winter. This is a disaster!

OMG Cobourg went "Guest Only". And appears to be offline. This means the only high powered charger between Ottawa and Toronto is now the Best Western in Kingston. If that goes "Guest Only", is ICE'd (which has happened to me already), or goes offline, people are going to get stranded this winter.

It may soon be almost impossible to drive Ottawa-Toronto or Montreal-Toronto in winter conditions, at least without an overnight stay AND a substantial risk of getting stranded.

We're going back to where we were four years ago, when it was impossible to do highway travel in the winter. This is a disaster!

I did the drive to Ottawa on Friday Night and returned Saturday. Stopped in Cobourg and the charger was not working. I did not ask anyone...just proceeded to Kingston BW and enjoyed a good dinner in the restaurant. Returned Saturday along the same route...tough head wind and rain but still had to draft a truck @105km/hr... got home with zero km left as I turned on my street. As the car preformed as it should I had very little range anxiety.

What did you hear about the BW in Cobourg?

CC: Tesla Motors

Look how SCs in Europe are progressing compared to Canada... Keep in mine that they are dealing with different policies from different countries. There is NO excuse for this delay! Obviously Tesla Motors doesn't show respect to Canadian owners! AFAIK, 2 Teslas are sold in Canada per day. I don't blame the Hotel for making the charger private to guests only, you can imagine how many Teslas use their charger per week given that the number is growing. Look at the Canadian map, the number of major cities are small, and there is only one major highway that connects all of them. They don't need to create a mesh of SCs like what they are doing in the US. One horizontal line of SCs should be able to cover more than 90% of the population easily.

Think about why Cornwall is Online? Because it's close to the US, so it's part of the US network if you ask me. The same applies to Toronto! I could be wrong but that's how I look at it (or maybe just started to look at it this way?).

I did the drive to Ottawa on Friday Night and returned Saturday. Stopped in Cobourg and the charger was not working. I did not ask anyone...just proceeded to Kingston BW and enjoyed a good dinner in the restaurant. Returned Saturday along the same route...tough head wind and rain but still had to draft a truck @105km/hr... got home with zero km left as I turned on my street. As the car preformed as it should I had very little range anxiety.

What did you hear about the BW in Cobourg?

I was also trying to charge on Friday afternoon in Cobourg and noticed the sign saying something like "Hotel Guest Charging Only". It wasn't working so I had them reset the breaker to no avail. I wasn't a guest but they didn't ask. I called SunCountry to report the malfunctioning charger and they were going to send someone.

Turns out I didn't need it anyway. I was amazed that I went from Oakville to Kingston on one charge with 140km rated left when I arrived! A new record for me at 167Wh/km. But that was because of slow Toronto traffic, ideal weather conditions, travelling at around 102 km/h, and I happened to be behind a truck much of the way.

The winter will be a much different story. We need another supercharger in Cobourg area!

Last edited:
Seriously. Norway has less population than just the Greater Toronto Area (5 million vs. 6 million). Remind me again how many Superchargers they have???

A site ranked Tesla markets by Superchargers per capita. Canada managed to be 3rd from last, due to the huge populations of Japan and China.

Of course, Canada would be last if they went by Superchargers per Model S.

The key to getting Superchargers in North America is to ban Tesla sales (Arizona, 10) or to rely overwhelmingly on non-renewable energy sources (Illinois, 5). This works on both sides of the border. Some rankings list Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine as having the cleanest USA grids and they don't have any Superchargers.

Supertankers laden with tar sands oil pass by my window weekly, we need to remind Tesla that Canada isn't so green. Either that or join the EU.

Just talked to someone at the Planning Dept for Kingston. Plans are up for final approval at the November 6th Agenda Meeting. The person looking after the proposal is out of the office until Wednesday. I left a voicemail. I'll follow up when/if she returns my call.

Looking at the website for city planning, it looks like the planning committee meets every 2nd Thursday. I might try to attend the November 6th meeting if I can, or get an update soon after the meeting. It takes them a week or so to post the minutes from the previous meeting. Hopefully I know more when I talk to the contact later this week.

Last edited:
Seriously. Norway has less population than just the Greater Toronto Area (5 million vs. 6 million). Remind me again how many Superchargers they have???

Yes, but they have bought way more Model S than Toronto has...

Tesla will donate (as in free) HPWCs for any business willing to pay for electrical hookup. If I were living in Ottawa, I would be the phone to every hotel/rest stop halfway between Ottawa and Toronto to get them to install one. Heck, I'd probably even offer to pay for the install - I'm sure you could get five people on this forum to pony up some bucks to install an HPWC...

That's because they have Superchargers everywhere! (Okay, I know that's not the only reason but it sure is frustrating for us here in Canada).

Tesla will donate (as in free) HPWCs for any business willing to pay for electrical hookup. If I were living in Ottawa, I would be the phone to every hotel/rest stop halfway between Ottawa and Toronto to get them to install one. Heck, I'd probably even offer to pay for the install - I'm sure you could get five people on this forum to pony up some bucks to install an HPWC...

That's not a bad idea, and the ONroute (rest stop) stations would be good candidates. On the other hand, I suspect these quasi-government locations might not want to go with a proprietary solution.

That's not a bad idea, and the ONroute (rest stop) stations would be good candidates. On the other hand, I suspect these quasi-government locations might not want to go with a proprietary solution.

Canadian Tire will definitely will not go for a proprietary solution. They want something that isn't aligned with any particular manufacturer.

They are in no hurry whatsoever to do anything. Probably because there's absolutely nothing in it for them. People will visit the restaurants, not spend money at the Canadian Tire gas bar.

I contacted the Supercharger people, got this response:

Thank you for your email and feedback. Our Kingston location is currently in the process of obtaining permits. We are actively working to achieve the projected map around the end of 2014 to enable routes for winter travel.
Our experience with delays through all phases of the deployment process has led to our approach of communicating firm timing only when we are sure a specific site will be ready for our owners to use.

This aligns with hingisfan's report about the Nov. 6th meeting. I think the best we've seen is 6 weeks from approval to switching on? But coming into the Christmas period you'd expect some extra delay. "Around the end of 2014" means...

LOL my January just-after-my-next-trip prediction is looking rather likely.

I will install one in Oshawa if I can get the HPWC for free... I have a commercial unit off Ritson north of the 401 (5 min drive) near the new Costco. I have applied to the city to get the service upgraded to 200A and then that should not be a problem. I will take care of the electrical install.

I will install one in Oshawa if I can get the HPWC for free... I have a commercial unit off Ritson north of the 401 (5 min drive) near the new Costco. I have applied to the city to get the service upgraded to 200A and then that should not be a problem. I will take care of the electrical install.

Excellent. Please post your results in talking with Tesla about this. There are very few public HPWCs in Canada. A few in BC and none east of there (not counting Showrooms or Service Centers). There was one at the Muskoka Bay Club, and it was on Tesla's "Find Us" map for a while but has since been taken down.

Excellent. Please post your results in talking with Tesla about this. There are very few public HPWCs in Canada. A few in BC and none east of there (not counting Showrooms or Service Centers). There was one at the Muskoka Bay Club, and it was on Tesla's "Find Us" map for a while but has since been taken down.

Do you know who to talk to at Tesla for this request?