Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kingston!!!!!

IMG_20150130_095423153.jpg
IMG_20150130_095423153.jpg

IMG_20150130_095445548.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_20150130_095716408.jpg

I think he was trying to show how remote and lonely it is.

Yes, it is indeed! Now one has to actually walk around the building to get to the restaurants such as Boston Pizza etc. The car will be charged by the time one walks the round trip. LOL!

On a more serious note, what is the issue with the 6 stalls that were installed 3 months ago? Obviously a problem with them. Permitting issues have obviously been resolved so why does this one location have issues? Surely Tesla would have ordered up all the parts needed even before they started building. Something really fishy going on inside that King's Cross mall parking lot.
Could some of the stores filed a complaint to the city stating they didn't want the charging station there as it decreases potential parking for customers I wonder?
Could this be the reason why the temp spot is out of site and out of mind around the back?

See post 1323 for the latest status from Tesla. To summarize a long thread: a "custom component" was ordered back in November when construction was essentially completed and it is expected in March. This mobile supercharger is the temporary charging station until then.

Canadian and U.S. Three phase power supplies from the grid operate at different voltages. IRRC, US is 480v, Canada is 600v. So for Canada Superchargers, you need an additional step down transformer. Perhaps that it the custom piece of equipment. Or maybe the local utility is asking for a unique distribution cabinet design. Anyways, things like this happen all the time, which is why Superchargers get delayed at other locations too. Don't feel Kingston is unique in that regard. Personally, I'm just impressed that Tesla provides temporary Superchargers for these critical delayed locations.

Congratulations long suffering Ontarians! Kingston and Barrie open in January 2015, amazing. I've got a feeling that will save a few marriages (ie. road trips north and east finally in the winter without stress).

BUT...now that the roving Tesla SC install team is free to move onto the next job...if anyone sees action in Cobourg, don't hesitate to let us know!

Thanks for the pictures and congrats on first documented charge!

I bet that just inside the wall, there is a major breaker box for the building, and that that small grey box beside of the "Mobile" Supercharger is a step up or down transformer to produce 480 Volts for the Supercharger. With 480 Volts, it will produce 135kW out, with a max of 120kW to a single car.

It's great that Tesla recognized the need and got this temporary solution in place.

The location is still not on the "Find Us" page, Find Us — Eastern Canada | Tesla Motors.

Thanks for the pictures and congrats on first documented charge!

I bet that just inside the wall, there is a major breaker box for the building, and that that small grey box beside of the "Mobile" Supercharger is a step up or down transformer to produce 480 Volts for the Supercharger. With 480 Volts, it will produce 135kW out, with a max of 120kW to a single car.

It's great that Tesla recognized the need and got this temporary solution in place.

The location is still not on the "Find Us" page, Find Us — Eastern Canada | Tesla Motors.

its on my car map under the SC tab tho! Even says temporary SC!

There is a type of "portable" Supercharger installation that costs less to install. The stations are on platforms, so you don't need to excavate the ground around them.

The Superchargers at Aurora, IL are like that, but they are sunk into the asphalt with the cables trenched in. They have two of those dual platform-type chargers there.

- - - Updated - - -

I spoke with couple of representatives of Utilities Kingston last night at the Plug'n Drive EV 10,000 event.

Sorry for the late post on this, but I too spoke to some Utilities Kingston folks on this issue. What is interesting, and is causing the delay, is that the area is covered by a private distribution network. Utilities Kingston have a wholesale meter at the boundary of the area and I believe are looking for specialized metering equipment so that they can measure the Supercharger's consumption and arithmetically calculate the remainder for the rest of the load.

- - - Updated - - -

To anyone who lives in or understands Toronto, Lawrence is an excellent location with great highway accessibility.
To people outside the city, ANY location in Toronto is a bad location.

I have to disagree. Depending on the time of day, it can take a very long time to get down from the 401 and back up again. Remember that these things are supposed to be mainly for travellers, so you're really talking about people driving through Toronto along the 401.