Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree all. Sequentially, Ottawa needs at the very least and ASAP a single 'public' HPWC. The MEC there has not ruled it out yet (I've made the case that their 4 charge points are underutilized and would be better served with 2 charge points and 1 HPWC. Renfrew, does anyone know the owner of the Flamingo? I am also working with a client to get a unit installed in Cobden, right on the highway, and in Mattawa (5km from the 17). Temporary 2-stall would be great in Ottawa for now! I wonder where though? (For me at least, Ottawa is both a destination at 115km from my home, and a pit stop enroute to points West, so I've 'killed' a lot of time in Ottawa on those pit-stop days...

When visiting friends or relatives in Ottawa it would be much more convenient to access HPWCs dispersed throughout the city (i.e. at every hockey arena) than to travel to a single supercharger. One could easily have to drive 20-25 km from Kanata, Orleans or Barrhaven to get to a centrally located supercharger in Ottawa. It would be much easier for a host to drive a visitor to the closest arena, where you plug in and leave the BEV for a few hours.

Not for me. I don't wan't to leave my car overnight at a hockey arena. Long term I predict that Tesla will have a supercharger on every major artery into Ottawa. For me, stopping on my way in or out of the city is more convenient than asking friends to drive you potentially 5-10 minutes each way to a charge spot. Having to do that would not allow EV's to gain traction mass market. Mass market adoption hinges on ultra convenient charging so its got to be overnight at your destination, or Supercharging on your exact route.

When visiting friends or relatives in Ottawa it would be much more convenient to access HPWCs dispersed throughout the city (i.e. at every hockey arena) than to travel to a single supercharger. One could easily have to drive 20-25 km from Kanata, Orleans or Barrhaven to get to a centrally located supercharger in Ottawa. It would be much easier for a host to drive a visitor to the closest arena, where you plug in and leave the BEV for a few hours.

The obvious answer is to encourage your family and friends to go electric and to provide at least a J1772 at their homes. 30 or 40 Amps overnight is more than enough.:wink:

Agree all. Sequentially, Ottawa needs at the very least and ASAP a single 'public' HPWC.

Ottawa does have two public HPWCs, at the Brookstreet Hotel in Kanata. They were just hooked up this week and they are on the Tesla map. Parking is free for the first 3 hours, and it may be free for EVs all the time - I haven't confirmed that part. This picture was taken before they were connected, but going by the cable size, it looks like they run at 80A.

FullSizeRender.jpg

And there's a 2-port Chargepoint station there too, which is 50 cents per hour for the first 3 hours, then $2/hour.

The obvious answer is to encourage your family and friends to go electric and to provide at least a J1772 at their homes. 30 or 40 Amps overnight is more than enough.:wink:
Yes that would be ideal. I am having a hard time convincing this particular Ottawa friend. He abuses his cars and prefers to spend the absolute bare minimum on them and is the opposite of early adopter. In the meantime I may have to make use of my 100 ft dryer extension cable.

Wow, great to hear about the hotel in Ottawa! Just plugged in at Barrie now, 220a/372V, but chargers 1 through 3 (6 in total) are down. Orange charge port light and 'check charger power' on dash - not the 'pls fully insert' error. Guys working on them (and they didn't understand why the rest weren't working, as they only have 1A &B off for service). Only 4A & 4B live

Last edited:
100' dryer extension cable? Wow, that must weigh a ton.

Yah, pretty heavy but I won't be stuck with it not reaching.

What prompts you to say that Comber will be online any day? Did you drive by? Thanks, VTM

Its just possible Comber could come online any day. No evidence though. It will be three weeks tomorrow since the last pictures of them putting in the stands and conduit. I am just hopeful.

Yikes...we have a bunch of cars heading up there tomorrow at noon...hope Tesla gets this rectified...:crying:

Wow, great to hear about the hotel in Ottawa! Just plugged in at Barrie now, 220a/372V, but chargers 1 through 3 (6 in total) are down. Orange charge port light and 'check charger power' on dash - not the 'pls fully insert' error. Guys working on them (and they didn't understand why the rest weren't working, as they only have 1A &B off for service). Only 4A & 4B live

Comber should be online any day unless it is to suffer the same fate as Kingston. Then the temp one could go there!

Comber looks pretty straightforward with a simple utility hookup by Hydro One. Kingston had the oddball circumstance of locating within a private distribution network. I think it's the same guys who did Woodstock working in Comber.

- - - Updated - - -

Sometimes easier said than done. I have been trying to convince my buddy to put an outdoor 14-50 at his Muskoka cottage for me to use when I'm there. Even said I'd pay all costs, but he won't bite!

... I think it's the same guys who did Woodstock working in Comber.

Since the variable is then the utility company, EV organizations should have an award for electric companies that do the most to promote and expedite charging station installations. Keeping tabs on the companies that drag their feet as well would be useful for Tesla or other entities installing DCQC. Sometimes, your choice between nearby, competing sites can be optimized by going with the one serviced by the right company.

My impression in Canada is that Woodstock Hydro is #1. BC Hydro can be slow. In the USA, PG&E and National Grid make you wait. Green Mountain Power and Burlington Electric in Vermont are very swift and accommodating.

Thinking about it a bit more, installation of an Ottawa supercharger will most likely accompany the establishment of a Tesla service centre.

Despite Ottawa being Canada's fourth biggest city, a dealership / service centre is likely a number of years away given the large capacity of the new Ferrier Street setup in Montreal.

Thinking about it a bit more, installation of an Ottawa supercharger will most likely accompany the establishment of a Tesla service centre.

Despite Ottawa being Canada's fourth biggest city, a dealership / service centre is likely a number of years away given the large capacity of the new Ferrier Street setup in Montreal.

I was told that there is an Ottawa Service Centre in the plans for next year. I'll believe it when construction starts. :)

Is anybody going to Barrie tomorrow from the Kitchener-Guelph area?

I am a very interested Tesla fan (but alas with no car) that would love to come along and ride shotgun if anybody is interested in a passenger. I will even pay for gas! Ha!

PM me if you have a spot.

Anyone able to give an update on the the Barrie charging stalls? Do we think the are all going to be working Saturday for the rally?
Yes we had ongoing communication with Tesla. Originally told 7 of 8 and just recently I found out that all 8 should be operational.
Depending on the weather we could have up to 15 cars going with press coverage at both ends!
FYI Tesla is not officially involved. This is being co-ordinated by Terry the landlord and our owner's club.