Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

eCall emergency call system needs service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting, thanks. Bit confused why a two-button reboot doesn't clear the error then but a Power Off reboot does ... Does worry me that an Intel Atom based computer can be so involved in the safety features like managing all the cameras though!

Camera feeds come into the FSD computer where they are combined and processed in numerous ways. Various other systems then act upon the outputs of this processing. So many sub systems are been involved in safety system detection but if one system goes down, it is often that the system fails to work at all or is compromised in one way or another.

When we totally lost our car computer earlier in the year, it was quite interesting what did and didn't actually work, along what did and didn't work when 12v or HV battery were disconnected. Theoretically, had we been able to 'start the car' (we needed screen access at very least to access pin to drive), the car would have been drivable, but many safety systems would have been compromised - borne out by it actually being possible to reboot the car computer/MCU whilst driving o_O

Driving home this evening I realised that the mirrors don't dip and there is no way to manually dip the inside rear mirror, the only solution is to tip it up so it is not usable. This is dangerous and I have an idea that the absence of any rear mirrors makes a vehicle unroadworthy. Does anyone know for certain?

i’ve had this issue on Friday, (no cameras, satnav stuck, eCall error, etc) 3 x reboots and removing the USB (Samsung T5) didn’t work reported via the app and this morning everything back to normal. Seems a lot of people are getting this at the moment I’m on 40.6
Just to follow up on the above, as mentioned I reported the fault on Friday with a service appt via the app, just received a text saying they have looked at the logs and can see the Autopilot ECU failed to boot up on Friday, but corrected itself on Saturday. They have re-pushed the latest firmware (40.6) to my car as the issue is a known issue and suspected to be a firmware bug (not sure how pushing the same firmware that has the known bug will fix it, but will monitor)

My car has 40.6, it has not recovered. Still believes it is in Huntingdon and nothing camera related works.
My fault must be at least partially intermittent - Sunday afternoon, after about 20 hours asleep, cameras, nav etc. started working again without any reset required this time. Now I’m back to the state where it just doesn’t sleep again. Seems I can’t have everything, at least right now …

That procedure had the same result as the Ranger Technician.
Nothing has changed.

Your car definitely has a fault, but that's already accepted by Tesla I see.

Unfortunately I don't think there will be any magic trick when it's a hardware issue, the reboot tricks are mainly for software faults.

You could make more of a fuss about getting a loaner, definitely keep a list of all these gremlins and keep adding them to the service appointment.

Your car definitely has a fault, but that's already accepted by Tesla I see.

Unfortunately I don't think there will be any magic trick when it's a hardware issue, the reboot tricks are mainly for software faults.

You could make more of a fuss about getting a loaner, definitely keep a list of all these gremlins and keep adding them to the service appointment.
You are right!
It is clearly hardware related.
If it was summer I wouldn't be that concerned, but no cameras and no dipping interior mirror are a real pain that I need to keep complaining about.
I've also e-mailed the insurers to tell them that the dash cam and car tracking are no longer working, this may impact on my insurance. If so Tesla will know about it.

Has anyone with the ecall needs a service issue noticed any improvement?

I awoke at 0500 this morning and tried out of curiosity to see if my app would connect to my car, weirdly and for the first time when the car was asleep it did burst into life. Ok it took maybe ten seconds but it was a surprise that it successfully connected in the first place. I left it for three hours and tried again. Bang, connected and shows car as Parked.

I will monitor for the next few days and see if it indeed has been fixed. I still have my sc appointment booked for 21/12 so I’ll leave that there until I’ve confirmed.

This morning I got into my car and put it into reverse to exit the drive.
Suddenly there was camera vision.
Everything was working... the car had flown from Huntingdon to Salisbury, seemingly at the speed of light and the e-call warning had gone!
Oddly, the App says that there is an update waiting 2021.44.X, but the car is still on 40.6.
SO, did Tesla sneak a patch into the car?

Now I don't know if I should install the update, or not. I think not!

Peter

This morning I got into my car and put it into reverse to exit the drive.
Suddenly there was camera vision.
Everything was working... the car had flown from Huntingdon to Salisbury, seemingly at the speed of light and the e-call warning had gone!
Oddly, the App says that there is an update waiting 2021.44.X, but the car is still on 40.6.
SO, did Tesla sneak a patch into the car?

Now I don't know if I should install the update, or not. I think not!

Peter
Very interesting my issue has seemingly gone, app can take about 15 seconds to connect and wake the car but so far since this am it’s all good.

I had a similar problem a couple of days back. After two software updates I had my charge around 80%. Later on the day while the car was sitting idle in my parking I ckecked the Tesla app and the charge was showing around 60%! It was strange as I didnt drive the car at all! I went to the car to check. I immediately noticed that the mirrors were unfolded and engine was running while the car was switched off. Everything in the car were forzen including the pedals and the screen. I used the two buttons reset and didn't work at first. After 3 attempts the screen came up and gave me the Ecall emergency alert. I removed the Sentry mode USB and 'Power Off' the car from the control screen. Still I had the Ecall emergency alert. I powered off the car five times (each time waiting for almot 4 minutes). Finally the alert was gone. I called the Tesla next day, and they told me that it was a bug in the latest update, and I should wait for a fix within the next few days. One thing I noticed was that the rear camera, GPS location and map was not working while having the Ecall emergency alert.