Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EDD Changed After Payment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt if your payment has anything to do with the delivery date changing, but now they have your money. I paid after I saw my car and after I did not reject it -- on the day of delivery. If your car is significantly delayed, or you reject it, it takes months for your to get your money back from Tesla. Never pay until goods are received. One of your bargaining chips if things don't go perfectly is now off the table. Hopefully things will go well for you.

Reactions: doubleshot
My EDD was next week. Yesterday I went to the bank and wired my full payment to Tesla. Now my EDD changed to "TBD". Is that good or bad? My SA seems to be non-available.

I doubt if your payment has anything to do with the delivery date changing, but now they have your money. I paid after I saw my car and after I did not reject it -- on the day of delivery. If your car is significantly delayed, or you reject it, it takes months for your to get your money back from Tesla. Never pay until goods are received. One of your bargaining chips if things don't go perfectly is now off the table. Hopefully things will go well for you.
If anything prepayment should speed up delivery of the car. I paid for my car in full a week before receiving it because supposedly it’s a requirement to pre-pay in Texas. I hope you receive your car ASAP.

You should be fine. I've read many times in this community that one should not pay for the car until they see and inspect it. When I bought my 2020M3 in I paid "in advance" like you did, and did not have a problem. However, when I get notified that my refreshed 2022 MS is ready for pickup I will delay payment until I physically pick it up.

Reactions: Vettepartz
If anything prepayment should speed up delivery of the car. I paid for my car in full a week before receiving it because supposedly it’s a requirement to pre-pay in Texas. I hope you receive your car ASAP.
There is no requirement in Texas to prepay for a new car, and it is not a requirement of Tesla, although they certainly encourage you to prepay. If anything, it should speed up delivery to not prepay, because they want your money. Now that they have your money, they can delay delivery for months because they know you have no recourse, and they get to use your money.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cyb_ and doubleshot
There is no requirement in Texas to prepay for a new car, and it is not a requirement of Tesla, although they certainly encourage you to prepay. If anything, it should speed up delivery to not prepay, because they want your money. Now that they have your money, they can delay delivery for months because they know you have no recourse, and they get to use your money.
I’ve purchased / leased 5 Teslas in Texas since 2012. I’m curious where your getting your expertise on what’s required to purchase a Tesla in Texas.

I know Tesla rules, and I looked up if Texas has a requirement to prepay for a new vehicle before delivery. Please educate me on your sources that differ.
The 5 transactions I completed disagree with you. All of the correspondence for each and every transaction I’ve completed with Tesla disagree with you. But let’s go with your Kentucky version of what’s going on in Texas.

This is from a convo a couple of weeks ago regarding my Model S Plaid (delivered 11/23), talking to a Texas based regional delivery manager.
8A618B69-4516-4211-BC2A-7B585AFF496B.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyb_ and doubleshot
The 5 transactions I completed disagree with you. All of the correspondence for each and every transaction I’ve completed with Tesla disagree with you. But let’s go with your Kentucky version of what’s going on in Texas.
Tesla does not have dealers, they are all Tesla stores, controlled by Tesla. Your purchase order and deposit, closing papers, and purchase agreement are exactly the same as mine. Kentucky does not have any Tesla stores. I had to purchase in another state. If your local Tesla store says you had to pay before your car was delivered, you should have told them you will pay when you get the car. Your contract allows you to pay on delivery.

• Disagree
Tesla does not have dealers, they are all Tesla stores, controlled by Tesla. Your purchase order and deposit, closing papers, and purchase agreement are exactly the same as mine. Kentucky does not have any Tesla stores. I had to purchase in another state. If your local Tesla store says you had to pay before your car was delivered, you should have told them you will pay when you get the car. Your contract allows you to pay on delivery.
They're not. The car is titled in CA first from what I understand for Texas purchases. Tesla is not allowed to directly sell in Texas without the Dealership. It requires the car to be sold to a dealership and then sold to a consumer. The Texas laws are the reason why Tesla won't ship unless payment is made (if you're not financing through Tesla Finance) to Texas. There's plenty of knowledge about this topic on the forums. But never the less, you're arguing. With a Texan, while you're in Kentucky. Kentucky likely has different laws, even if there's not a store. It's not Tesla's choice what laws it has to abide by.

Edit. And dangit. You made me use one of my posts before I get to 1000 (trying to time the 1000 post for Delivery Day!!) Hah womp

If I took possession of the car in KY, I would have to prepay Tesla, and the car would likely have to be sold in CA before they would ship it to me. If this is what you have to do, then Texas, like KY, does not really have a Tesla store to sell new cars to consumers because Texas requires state regulated dealers, like KY.

Original poster here. I just was wondering if anyone else had gone through their EDD being changed to "TBD", which I assume means "To Be Determined". This thread has wondered so far off course that I think a lot of the members here just got tired of seeing these off-topic posts, and moved on to other threads..

Oh yes, I have had a 2022 VIN for a week now. My EDD back then was 2-8 Dec. I called the delivery point last week and they said my car was "on the rail". I took that to mean it was being shipped by train, but maybe it meant something else. Anyways, I am in the process of selling my Model Y in anticipation of the new car being delivered soon. And now there is the problem of paying insurance on two vehicles, one of which I don't even have. I sure wish my SA would return my requests and answer some questions.

Oh yes, I have had a 2022 VIN for a week now. My EDD back then was 2-8 Dec. I called the delivery point last week and they said my car was "on the rail". I took that to mean it was being shipped by train, but maybe it meant something else. Anyways, I am in the process of selling my Model Y in anticipation of the new car being delivered soon. And now there is the problem of paying insurance on two vehicles, one of which I don't even have. I sure wish my SA would return my requests and answer some questions.
Generally, anyone who answers the phone can answer any questions you have. They all work for Tesla, and they don't work on commission. I never talked with my SA, who was assigned for my online purchase, until the date of delivery, and called the Tesla store with many questions. Call and ask your questions to whomever answers. They are usually very helpful. Sometimes they can tell you exactly where your car is thru GPS. Tell your insurance company that you will call them closer to the delivery date when to start your insurance, and that your car is still evidently in the pipeline. No sense in paying for that. Tesla wants a very unpersonal sale. Use that.

I don't have a "local" store per se. The store nearest to me is not a delivery point, just service. I did manage to get a person at my delivery point, 400 miles away, and they were very helpful in answering questions. Seems as if my assigned sales advisor is no longer with Tesla, so myself and her other clients appear to be just left hanging as Tesla has not offered a replacement. Hopefully that will change soon.

My TBD car is sitting in a railyard waiting for a truck driver to pick it up and take it to the delivery point. We do have a shortage of truck drivers in this country right now, so I can't really blame that on Tesla. Hopefully things will start to move pretty soon.

Reactions: DerbyDave